Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Videotron (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/60-videotron/)
-   -   When will we get a new version of SARA? (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/60-videotron/141771-when-will-we-get-new-version-sara.html)

Gillest 2011-06-20 10:11 AM

When will we get a new version of SARA?

Just looking for some info concerning any future enhancements to the Cisco SARA software that runs in the 8642 HD PVR. I just moved from Bell to Videotron and I am a little bit puzzled by the lack of features of this new box compared to Bell PVR`s.

Looking/hoping for Bell PVR like enhancements like these (to name a few):

16:9 guide
Skip (30 sec) buttons working
Able to record only new episodes of a program

Anybody have any ideas/insight it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gillest

Tanta 2011-06-20 10:56 AM

I would not hold my breath on a new version of SARA. The latest versions on the Rogers network are full of bugs (hard disks spinning up and down erratically), In Ontario, there are very many frustrated customers; some have comtemplated a class-action suit. There is a thread here documenting this. So I am very happy with my old version of SARA, that runs glitch free, does not require frequent reboots of the PVR, and that still knows how to handle an external hard drive properly. Thank you very much Videotron! Unfortunately, these machines will never be close to Bell's in terms of features and overall quality. Cisco/SA are not particularly strong in innovation...BTW, you can program an approximate 30 sec skip using the custom buttons on the remote.

Gillest 2011-06-20 02:02 PM

Tanta,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess you can`t have everything in life (like better service and a great PVR...;) )

Can you elaborate on how I can program an approx. 30sec skip (I assume on the Harmony?).

Gillest

Tanta 2011-07-04 03:24 PM

I used the remote that came bundled with the SA8300 and found the programming tip in the SA8300 tips and tricks section of the Rogers forum. However, I no longer use it, since the button response on the remote was vastly improved after a SARA upgrade a couple of years ago. Since then, I find I can fast forward at a setting of 3, and then just backup slightly when the commercial break finishes.

Gillest 2011-08-11 10:44 AM

Videotron is neglecting their cable customers and falling behind technically

Thanks Tanta,

I have a feeling that $ at Videotron right now are being mostly invested in their wireless/cellular offerings but that their cable customers needs are being forgotten or put on hold. This is a dangerous specially when Bell is ramping up their Fibe offering with so many state of the art features (like having a PVR that can serve the entire house and btw Rogers just announced same).

May have to reconsider Videotron if they cannot keep up with the competition. Just hope that Bell will improve their customer service and billing meanwhile...;)

Cheers,

Gilles

Tanta 2011-08-11 01:55 PM

Keep in mind that the 8642HD is a 'new' box; most of us still have the 8300 series...
I don't think they will invest, in the immediate future, in improving their PVR's; adding future channels is probably their main priority TV wise, but I agree that most of their efforts are in the wireless arena - they want to offer a pay as you go service.
As for competition, I am not sure there is really any here in Québec City; just a Pierre Karl monopoly! Hopefully Fibe will bring real competition back.
There is another thread here where you can follow Fibe developments in various Canadian cities.

Take care

P1x44r 2011-08-18 05:27 PM

I'm still hoping we'll get something by the end of 2011 as promised.

erydan 2011-10-11 03:38 PM

I just re subscribed to Videotron, unfortunately Bell Fibe is not available yet in my area.

I got the new HD PVR and the rep assured me that a new interface was coming before end of November for new decoders, not the old 8300 line, but most likely end of October. The 25th I think he said, and that is would be on par with what Bell offers.

Gillest 2011-10-12 08:39 AM

Thanks for the update!

Hopefully your salesrep was not just giving you BS in order to get you signed up.

Well, Oct 25th is close, so we will soon find out.

rainey 2011-10-12 10:08 AM

I spoke with a rep at videotron the other day as I am seriously thinking of switching to BellFibe. She mentioned that they are currently testing the changes for the HD PVR's and they should be ready to roll out in Winter or Spring 2012. They are supposed to have all the bells and whistles. Only issue will be if like me you already have the 8642 cisco you will have to program it yourself when it is ready to be upgraded but should all be done through the internet. I am going to give them till then and if their hardware does not improve I will probably jump ship.