Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Cogeco (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/66-cogeco/)
-   -   Cogeco Analogue to Digital Migration (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/66-cogeco/136537-cogeco-analogue-digital-migration.html)

MrWisker 2011-05-05 10:35 AM

I live Chatham

jbamford 2011-05-10 04:20 PM

Got my letter last week announcing that my area in Oakville is losing its "analogue value pack" channels in July, meaning only basic cable channels will be available in analogue.

asif9t9 2011-05-10 06:29 PM

Just got the letter today. I have one tv on analogue cable now, and then my HTPC is connected to analogue cable to stream basic tv over my LAN or over the internet.

They say we can get one adapter for free. Might as well order it. But any more are $2/month. And this doesn't help my poor analogue HTPC.

Also, is this correct that no more $2/month adapters will be offered come Sep 2nd? So that means everyone will have to sign up for full digital boxes?

cableredneck 2011-05-11 10:11 AM

Analogue Value Pack Loss

Does the loss of the Analogue Value Pack apply to Burlington as well as Oakville? I have heard in Oakville on July 18th the AVP channels will be gone. There is no mention on Cogeco's website about it??:confused:

jbamford 2011-05-11 12:04 PM

There's a link in the letter to http://www.cogeco.ca/digitalnow for more information. If you follow the link to "discover your new channel lineup", there's a pull-down list for the areas currently affected. Burlington is not on it.

cannon_fodder 2011-05-12 02:26 PM

Will this pave the way for 3d content or am I living in a dream world if I think this is coming soon to Cogeco in Oakville?

digitalfutur 2011-06-07 10:48 PM

Just got the all-digital letter today. I live in central Burlington, which is going all digital July 18th.

james99 2011-06-08 05:59 AM

Just got my letter (yesterday).

asif9t9 2011-06-08 07:02 AM

My free adapter arrived in the mail yesterday. It's just a small digital receiver, the size of a book. I can't plug it in just yet, but I was surprised to read that not only is there no On-Demand, but there's also not even an electronic program guide (EPG). So they've made it as basic as possible, to make people want to get a regular receiver.

CamDAB 2011-06-08 07:19 AM

Can one of you folks getting the all digital letters please post what channels are left in analogue.

I'd appreciate the info for some future planning... :-)

Cameron

17671 2011-06-08 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asif9t9 (Post 1271344)
My free adapter arrived in the mail yesterday. It's just a small digital receiver, the size of a book. I can't plug it in just yet, but I was surprised to read that not only is there no On-Demand, but there's also not even an electronic program guide (EPG). So they've made it as basic as possible, to make people want to get a regular receiver.

asif9t9, im guessing the part about it being "Free" has something to do with why its stripped down to the barebones with no IPG or ROD menus.

It might very well be what elderly people who are hesitant to switch to digital are looking for also.

let us know more about it when you have some more time

asif9t9 2011-06-11 08:55 AM

I haven't hooked it up yet, but also wanted to point out for all it only has a coaxial output. It's a Huawei DC730.

Hmm, it comes with an infrared cable. That's cool.

And according to the instructions, you just plug it in and wait 15 to 30min for an automatic activation. I wonder if they know which house this box is being hooked up to? I've basically told everyone I know to call and order at least the free box.....why not. Then, if you don't need it, maybe you can pass it around to a friend or family member who does need one.

The part that bugs me about this transition is my perfectly fine Hauppauge analog tuner hooked to my computer...to stream live analog tv via my LAN network...will be useless. I have to investigate a slingbox I guess.

asif9t9 2011-06-11 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamDAB (Post 1271347)
Can one of you folks getting the all digital letters please post what channels are left in analogue...

The pamphlet tells you which channels you won't get.

14 to 22, 32 to 46 and 48 and 48, you will NO longer get.

17671 2011-06-11 11:41 AM

Asif9t9, Its not just your perfectly fine Hauppauge analog tuner that will be impacted by the analogue removal, your not the only one who will be impacted.

Myself as well as other family members and lots of other people use DVD recorders with Analogue NTSC tuners, SlingBox with Cable Analog NTSC tuners, and other analog/ntsc capture and recording devices we've been comfortable with using for years, now we will need to have a dedicated set-top box for these devices so we can watch TV and record at the same time.

I was upset, but I have already accepted that I will have to do some sacrifices, and I now own multiple STB's in my household for that very reason.

Nester5000 2011-06-11 02:33 PM

Quote:

The pamphlet tells you which channels you won't get.

14 to 22, 32 to 46 and 48 and 48, you will NO longer get.
Strange that they would drop 14-22, when they fall between 6 and 7 (midband).