Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Videotron (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/60-videotron/)
-   -   Videotron 2011 New Channels Discussion (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/60-videotron/134527-videotron-2011-new-channels-discussion.html)

expressmoria 2011-12-13 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrmtl06 (Post 1362201)
Bravo! HD is also coming soon

Yet another channel not in my short / medium term lists so no excitement from my part.

My top 10 missing HD channels are as follows (no specific order):

AMC
Space
Showcase
HGTV
Food Network
TLC
Family / Disney
M Excess / M Fun
MSNBC
HDNet

Lets see how many will show up in 2012.

jrmtl06 2011-12-13 01:53 PM

Well, you get 1, SPACE HD and Discovery Channel HD are now also coming soon...

The HD channel I want now are AMC, Showcase, SuperChannel (1&2), HGTV, FX Canada, M Excess and M Fun. With those I would be very happy.

If we could at least get AMC, FX and SuperChannel in SD at least, I could see all those series we don't get anywhere else...

expressmoria 2011-12-13 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrmtl06 (Post 1362423)
Well, you get 1, SPACE HD and Discovery Channel HD are now also coming soon...

The HD channel I want now are AMC, Showcase, SuperChannel (1&2), HGTV, FX Canada, M Excess and M Fun. With those I would be very happy.

If we could at least get AMC, FX and SuperChannel in SD at least, I could see all those series we don't get anywhere else...

Wow, what is happening at Videotron. Rip Van Winkle woke up and realized the competitive landscape has changed and Bell Fibe eating their lunch.

I checked the wikipedia page this morning and did not see neither Space nor Discovery.
Then in the afternoon it has been updated to include both.
Not sure what coming soon means but its better than nothing.

I will take what I can get.
Lets hope AMC is added soon. They have some really interesting series like the Walking Dead that I would like to watch.

P1x44r 2011-12-13 04:33 PM

Don't forget "Breaking Bad"! Number one reason I wish AMC HD was available on Videotron.

rainey 2011-12-13 04:56 PM

I want AMC SD or HD for the "killing". It is an amazing show and season 2 is fast apporaching. I hope they can figure out a way to get this station.

nitra 2011-12-14 09:57 AM

The only issues with these new additions is they are likely to be in 3HD format, and with MPEG2, the quality is severely degraded.
3HD = 3 HD channels per QAM
There's limited bandwidth per QAM, if you notice on Kaphyr's list the median bitrate on the majority of Anglo channels is markedly below that of the French stations.
http://www.*********.com/illico/NumMtl.html

Fonceur 2011-12-14 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitra (Post 1362791)
if you notice on Kaphyr's list the median bitrate on the majority of Anglo channels is markedly below that of the French stations.

But looking at the reason for the lower bit rates, it seems mostly to have to do with the source from which they are getting the signal, rather than Videotron re-compressing them...

As far as English channels go, CityTV seems to be the only real casualty from Videotron's 3HD/QAM. (I'm fine with them re-compressing APTN and various news channels...)

rogue17 2011-12-16 09:59 PM

c/p Tant
Quote:

Rogue, FYI Bell also has an HD access fee of 3 dollars. However, it may be waived over the first 12 months on new subscriptions. As a matter of fact, the savings you gain from moving to Bell these days are substantial (30-50%) in Quebec over the first 12 months. So, if a wide diversity of anglo channels are important, switching to Bell is a no brainer. Bell's basic HD package includes the major US networks. Channel selections aside, the only disadvantage in 3-bundle services of being with Bell is the current variable quality of the 'last mile two-wire copper wire', which can lower high-speed internet connections in certain neighbourhoods. But as Fibe is deployed over wider areas, this problem should be resolved.
I do not see a HD fee of any sort. But I think it is included in their pricing.

Basic channels with no other Bell service is $33 + $15 for 15 channels = $48

Basic channels with no other videotron service $23 + $3 HD fee+ $22 for 15 channels = $48

So basically the same.

BIG DIFFERENCE is Videotron charges an extra $3.03 for Canadian Time shifting and another $3.03 for US Time shifting.

If you choose the time shifting it will add another $6 to the $48 and total $54 for Videotron.

On Bell you only pay $1 extra for US time shifting.

Also with Videotron you only get Vancouver and Montreal locals. No Calgary or Winnipeg, or Ottawa CTV even if you get the timeshifting option.

Fonceur 2011-12-16 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue17 (Post 1364103)
Also with Videotron you only get Vancouver and Montreal locals. No Calgary or Winnipeg, or Ottawa CTV even if you get the timeshifting option.

And the timeshifting channels on Videotron are SD only... Which is why I dropped them a long time ago... I was hopping the HD versions would get added, but they didn't...

Haggisboy 2011-12-17 03:27 AM

I honestly don't know why they still offer the "timeshifting" package, now that PVRs are so affordable.

Fonceur 2011-12-17 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggisboy (Post 1364167)
I honestly don't know why they still offer the "timeshifting" package, now that PVRs are so affordable.

For the odd times when multiple shows of interest are on... Which increases in frequency with the number of viewers in a household...

hercules130 2011-12-17 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggisboy (Post 1364167)

This Monday for example. This is what I like, YMMV.

Terra Nova on FOX, 20:00 - 22:00
Fear Factor on NBC, 21:00 - 22:00
Canadiens @ Bruins on RDS, 19:00 - 21:30

PVR only has 2 tuners so I have to drop one of them. If I had timeshift in HD, I would be able record either one of the non-sport show.

jrmtl06 2011-12-19 09:24 PM

There is a Videotron Rant thread, this conversation is Off-topic

rogue17 2011-12-29 04:14 PM

c/p Fonceur
Quote:

And the timeshifting channels on Videotron are SD only... Which is why I dropped them a long time ago... I was hopping the HD versions would get added, but they didn't...
Thank you I did not know that.Glad I'm with Bell.