Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Shaw Direct Satellite (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/)
-   -   Upgraded internal HDD for the 630 (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/131081-upgraded-internal-hdd-630-a.html)

57 2018-05-23 12:49 PM

Since I don't use these very often, I just clamp my (small) vice-grips to it. Plain pliers may also do the trick, but more awkward.

ExDilbert 2018-05-24 11:33 AM

I use a handle and socket from a 1/4" socket set. It's kind of wobbly and must be taped together. A real handle would be nice. This set is good quality for the price so it's still worth getting. It should work well with an electric screwdriver or small drill as well.

reyball99 2018-06-14 10:57 AM

630 PVR internal hard drive replacement

Hello members,

I'm looking for some help with respect to replacing my WD AV WD3200BVVT. I purchased the identical brand new drive however the unit does not recognize it. I have tried the factory reset with no luck, purchased another drive and still no luck. Does the drive need to be formatted what needs to be done prior to installing the new drive.

ExDilbert 2018-06-14 12:38 PM

I had to call Shaw Direct and ask them to reauthorize/reinitialize the 630. It then formatted the disk and recognized it.

Installing a 1000GB drive is a great way to gain more recording space. It's one of the first things I did. Kept the smaller drive in case the 630 had to be returned for repair.

reyball99 2018-06-14 02:49 PM

thanks I'll call them

frenchophile 2018-06-18 08:54 AM

reyball: The 630 won't recognize an unformatted internal hard drive. You should put the original drive back in, then put your new drive in an enclosure and connect it via eSata. It will format. At that point you can put it into the 630 and it will be recognized

goalsgo 2019-05-15 09:02 AM

@k801809 could you advise what kind of internal drive can be used to replace the internal drive on a PVR 630?

k801809 2019-05-15 12:34 PM

@goalsgo - I've never personally upgraded the internal hard drive (and I must mention, doing so would void your ongoing warranty ;) ). I know my old manager had tested it a couple of times for fun, but I'm honestly not sure which drive he used. I would imagine a PVR rated SATA hard drive without an enclosure, but since this isn't "officially" supported, I'm not 100% comfortable commenting. Sorry!

Edit: I would honestly just upgrade to an 830 - there's still a $100 discount for the return of your 630, making it $199. Depending on the drives you're looking at and the cost, it might be more worth it when you consider the warranty void, and the lack of features coming to 6XX in the future (lots planned for 8XX though!).

goalsgo 2019-05-15 12:57 PM

Thank you for your kind response. We have one 830 but we happen to prefer the 630 for the following reasons:

* front facing clock
* red indicator light when recording
* red indicator light when signal loss
* component video output

That's why we would like to keep as long as possible, knowing full well warranty would be voided.

57 2019-05-15 01:20 PM

@goalsgo , check out posts 151, 173 of this thread. A black or purple sata drive would probably do the trick. Note that it needs to be formatted in an eHDD enclosure first. You also need security Torx bits.

HowardDoin 2019-05-15 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k801809 (Post 3080517)
@goalsgo - I've never personally upgraded the internal hard drive (and I must mention, doing so would void your ongoing warranty ;) ). I know my old manager had tested it a couple of times for fun, but I'm honestly not sure which drive he used. I would imagine a PVR rated SATA hard drive without an enclosure, but since this isn't "officially" supported, I'm not 100% comfortable commenting. Sorry!

Edit: I would honestly just upgrade to an 830 - there's still a $100 discount for the return of your 630, making it $199. Depending on the drives you're looking at and the cost, it might be more worth it when you consider the warranty void, and the lack of features coming to 6XX in the future (lots planned for 8XX though!).

Does SD simply exchange a bad 630 under warranty for a new or refurbished 630 then? Also, if I wanted to upgrade a 600 to either an 800 or 830, what would that cost?

Sorry if I’m a bit off original topic.

k801809 2019-05-15 03:44 PM

Defective receiver replacements are always refurbished (unless we don't have any refurbs in stock at the time) - a 630 to 830 swap would be a new 830 unit, though. Eventually 630s will be swapped with refurbished 830s as the refurbished 630 stock continues to deplete.

We don't have an official trade in program for the 600s at this point - the PVR trade up program was introduced really because of the hard drive increase on the 830 that would be enticing for 630 users (especially those still on 320 GB drives).

frenchophile 2019-05-15 07:29 PM

Post 173 was my post! I feel like I have I have achieved something when @57 is referencing me :)

rob_t 2019-07-10 11:40 PM

Hi folks,

I accidentally unplugged my 630 while it was recording, and it looks like the drive is pooched now :-( Needless to say, I have a sad. The good news? It was dead empty, so I did not lose any recordings. But I've lost my timers, right?

I have a Samsung 850 PRO 1Tb SSD that I think I want to try, as I would like more space than stock anyway. Would someone be able to tell me what number Security Torx bit (e.g. T10) this takes?

I am also a little confused about formatting and re-auth. My 630 tunes seems to all of the channels right now, but I will lose that when I drop the new drive in? Or is it that I lose that when doing the 4-9-8-8 "big reset" trick? Can I do an online "hit" to get past that? Sounds like people see the drive formatting after the "hit".

With a broken internal drive, I think I cannot use the external drive trick to get this formatted - is that right?

Rob T

ExDilbert 2019-07-11 01:36 PM

A cheap set of Security Torx bits can be purchased at Princess Auto for about $10. It will have the size required. They may be available at other hardware or auto stores.

Upgrading the 630 to 1TB is possible. Not sure if the SSD will work. I would perform a fresh format on a PC first.

The reset will erase all settings. I would install the drive, perform a full reset, tune to the promo channel and try an online authorization. I had to call when I did mine.