Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Shaw Direct Satellite (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/)
-   -   Upgraded internal HDD for the 630 (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/131081-upgraded-internal-hdd-630-a.html)

tvmaster 2018-03-11 12:28 AM

Lol, totally forgot about the HD PVR. Have a spare in the closet...

OlStatic 2018-03-11 10:18 AM

So it seems that the 1TB drive that I put in the 630 is failling.
The drive is the Samsung HM100UI 1TB that was recommended at the beggining of this thread.
I purchased mine in March 2011 so it has been working for 7 years in the 630.

I pulled it out and put it on my computer and did a surface test with no errors and also ran HDDSCAN and do a read test and its showing that theres a few blocks (54 so far and its at 62% scanned) that take over 500ms to be scanned.
So there are issues and thats probably why its making my receiver crash so much.
I am going to buy another drive to replace it.
There is one on Amazon (search for WD AV-25 1 TB AV Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, 5400 RPM, SATA II, 16 MB Cache - WD10JUCT) for $100.00.
This drive seems to be made for PVR systems but I am open for suggestions.

Or would this one WD Blue 1TB Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5 Inch - WD10SPZX be an alternative as well for $40 bucks less.
(I figure that with the external drive that its also installed the internal is not taxed as much as the Samsung was at the time before Shaw activated the Esata).

Has anyone swapped drives before and was able to clone it as to not lose the recordings from the old drive?
What software did you use?

This also would have the benefit that it would not lose the recordings from the external drive either.
(I dont know why Shaw decided to marry the external drive to the internal drive instead of the receiver itself??)

On a side note to check if it is indeed the HDD that is the problem and not the receiver I plugged back in the stock unit that came with the receiver and it doesn't recognize it. sigh... Too much security is a pain...

OlStatic 2018-03-11 05:29 PM

Can someone answer this please?

I currently a Samsung 1Tb in the receiver and 1th in an external enclosure.
The receiver reboots all the time.

I checked the Samsung on my computer and did not detect any symptons.
So to make sure its the drive and not the receiver that is the problem I decided to put the original 320GB drive in the receiver (without the external) but the receiver doesnt accept it. (It sees it but doesnt use it).

From previous posts I could put the 320gb in the external enclosure and have it formatted and then put it in the receiver and use it without the external plugged in.

My concerned by doing that is that the External 1TB will become unrecognizable by the receiver when I put the samsung drive back because I used it to format the 320gb.

Does someone know if thats the case?

OlStatic 2018-03-11 11:13 PM

Another question, if I call and get the current unit replaced with another 630 can I pop the Samsung and it will work as is or it will have to be formatted for the new receiver along with the external drive?
(I would hate to lose the existing recordings on it).

LONSat 2018-03-12 10:27 AM

I believe you are out of luck in both situations.

frenchophile 2018-03-19 09:31 AM

@OlStatic : I recently replaced my internal hard drive (see post #173). I can confirm that your external drive will be reformatted in the first scenario. From my experience, what I suggest you try next is swap the 1 TB drive in the external exclosure with the one that's in the receiver.

roy.herman 2018-03-20 01:52 PM

I am going to upgrade the internal drive to a 1Tb. From what I am reading, it is not necessary to do a factory reset. Is that true? I need to know if I should save all my settings to USB stick before I begin the process.

LONSat 2018-03-20 02:39 PM

Saving your settings will make it faster to make sure it is configured the same way should anything go wrong in the process and you need to do a reset.

roy.herman 2018-03-21 01:28 PM

I have successfully completed the install of the 1Tb hd in my 630 by following the instructions found here. I did not need to do any factory reset. Using the backup to usb saved a lot of time on the restoring of my settings which must be stored on the original hd because they needed to be restored. My program recording settings still needed to be redone once the guide came back. I put the original hd back into the external enclosure half expecting it to still be recognized but, no such luck. The machine wants to reformat it to use as an external drive, which I haven't done yet. I'm not sure what will happen if I put the original back in now. I expect it would be recognized and all the recordings on it would then be accessible but I won't be doing that unless I need to have Shaw replace the 630 for some reason.

tvmaster 2018-05-22 07:32 PM

where did you get the 4.5mm bit to open up the case, Amazon?

ExDilbert 2018-05-22 08:45 PM

I got one on eBay. eBay and Princess Auto has security socket sets with an assortment of sizes.

57 2018-05-23 12:06 AM

I was in the area of one of the Princess Auto stores a while back and picked up one of these:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...et/A-p8583031e

I wouldn't have made a special trip for one item, but since I was just around the block...

tvmaster 2018-05-23 09:20 AM

if those are regular torx bits, they don’t work.

57 2018-05-23 09:39 AM

The set includes many bits, including security torx.

ExDilbert 2018-05-23 12:45 PM

That's the same set I got from eBay. It should work with most security screws used with cable and satellite boxes. The price is about the same but the eBay set took about 6 weeks to arrive. The main issue is that there is no handle included with the set. The included adapter is made to work with a drill.