Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   OTA Station & Network Operational Status (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/220-ota-station-network-operational-status/)
-   -   Global Network DTV Transition Status (closed) (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/220-ota-station-network-operational-status/128235-global-network-dtv-transition-status-closed.html)

schneedoo 2011-08-25 01:53 PM

I never had much of a shot at pulling in 65-1 here in Batavia, NY but 41-1 is coming in great. I had to do a rescan, after trying to add it manually, to get it. Picture looks great.

tvlurker 2011-08-25 01:53 PM

This morning in Ottawa my RCA DTV converter was able to successfully tune CBOFT 9.1 on its transitional channel 22 and the overnight test on its post-transition channel 9 on an "add scan". They both show up as 9.1.

The chanel 22 one was first, and the added channel 9 was second. If I enter 9-1 from the remote it picks up 22, but I can "channel up", or select the other one from the Channel List.

ota_canuck 2011-08-25 01:55 PM

Ft.Erie TV55 is gone now. Does anyone from Ft.Erie get 41.1 0r 6.1?

Global Toronto was always only a very unwatchable picture here in Dunnville. I just barely get a sniff of this 41.1 Global signal. I'm sure that if I used a directional antenna with a rotor, it could be improved significantly, but it would come at a the inconvenience of constantly re-aiming a giant directional antenna between the US and Toronto markets. Global's content is not worth the effort anyways.

I can get Buffalo, Erie channels that provide very good US TV programs plus I get CBC, TVO & CTV,.. otherwise Canadian television is just repeated programming from these US broadcasts anyway. CHCH is just junk with rolling repetetive news all day long with some US repeat prime-time programs and really bad movies at night, so CHCH, even though I get it, I may remove it from my channel list.

IMO: I am very fortunate to live near the US border and get strong reliable OTA signals with programming worthy of viewing from the US. Canada has put zero effort into protecting or providing the means of a reliable OTA spectrum for Canadians. It's a crime that most Canadian OTA viewers will soon be forced into accepting subscription TV.

So, in closing,... I'll say that Ft.Erie streets will soon be bustling with busy Shaw-cable campaign style sales staff.

alebowgm 2011-08-25 02:09 PM

If Shaw/Global said that they are shutting down the Ft. Erie transmitter because the Toronto one would now service the area, and if the area is not being served properly by the Toronto transmitter, I would think someone in the affected area needs to write a letter or make a call to the CRTC or IC.

dheian 2011-08-25 02:13 PM

Midtown Toronto:

Signal Strength: 100
Signal Quality: 60
Symbol Quality: 100

ota_canuck 2011-08-25 02:19 PM

Info at Shaw's website says:
Fort Erie analog 55 ends August 25th & digital begins August 25th on Ch 41.1 and/or Ch 6.1 [Indicating that the greater FT.Erie area OTA will be available from Toronto's 41.1 and/or Paris's 6.1]
http://www.shaw.ca/Television/About/...obal-Channels/

doomy 2011-08-25 02:26 PM

But will it? While my parents' TVFool in Welland looks alright, the southern half of Niagara looks to be about as promising as the Dunville area, which from the experience described earlier with reception of 41.1 in the Dunville area, it doesn't seem all that promising.

downbeat 2011-08-25 02:36 PM

Quoting

Hi all: Just a reminder that it is not necessary to quote the post immediately preceding your own. If you must quote an older message, please only use a snippet that helps place your message in context. All this helps make threads easier to read.
A few posts here will be edited.
Thanks and happy DTV viewing!

ota_canuck 2011-08-25 02:41 PM

With so many widespread Global transitions going on within this thread and many channel numbers being involved, it gets pretty confusing at times, so can I suggest that posters include the specific analog and digital channel number that is being referenced and the broadcaster's location, rather than having to include quotes.

rob50312 2011-08-25 02:42 PM

Global Toronto

Receiving 2 Global 41-1 signals.One is 100% the other is 80% which seems like the old signal on 65.

jbracing24 2011-08-25 02:54 PM

Finally 41-1 Global clear signal here.

wilspin 2011-08-25 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.eous (Post 1304114)
PrinceLH -- hmm, that's interesting... I thought Global used a proprietary scrambled C-band transponder for feeding their Ontario transmitters; it's been listed in Lyngsat for years and years. Maybe with the switch to HD, they're resorting to just using Bell TV?? (that might make the CN Tower signal slightly higher quality due to lower data compression since I assume it's fibre linked)

this may /not be correct as I have never seen branding 'bell' just 'waiting for sat'.

wilspin 2011-08-25 04:10 PM

U will see 2