Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   OTA Station & Network Operational Status (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/220-ota-station-network-operational-status/)
-   -   Global Network DTV Transition Status (closed) (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/220-ota-station-network-operational-status/128235-global-network-dtv-transition-status-closed.html)

argilo 2011-04-29 06:59 PM

Shaw/Global DTV pages

Shaw has posted a page on its site about the digital transition and their plans for the Global network:

http://shaw.ca/dtv/

Details about the channels that will soon transition are available on this page:

http://shaw.ca/Television/About/Digi...obal-Channels/

FunkyTown 2011-04-29 08:24 PM

Transmission antennas have been around since radio at the start of the 20th century. Here it is 2011 and we really haven't changed much in the way of hardware. It's big companies that penny pinch on delivery. If it wasn't for the government forcing this, we'd never have digital OTA in Canada. I applaud the government for stepping in and putting a deadline on this. Canada worries me. We seem to be the last to get anything new that comes along. It wasn't always like this.

Jase88 2011-04-29 08:31 PM

Consumers certainly benefit with DTV. But don't thank the federal government too much--the move to digital is self serving for them. They will auction the vacated spectrum and earn billions in revenue.

ScaryBob 2011-04-29 08:34 PM

Another reason channel 6 is undesirable is interference from FM. Stations at the low end of the FM band were restricted in power due the likelihood of channel 6 interference. That changed somewhere along the line and IC has put high powered FM stations as low as 89.1 in some areas. The philosophy of protecting stations has also changed. At one time, high powered stations had a wide area of protection that sometimes reached hundreds of miles. Some low frequency stations enjoyed audiences over large sections of North America due to high power, lack of co-channels and reliance on tropo. Now, stations have no protection from interference outside a relatively small area and neither do consumers. The distance between co-channel and adjacent channel transmitters has also shrunk significantly.

mjjl 2011-04-29 08:59 PM

The information Shaw has posted is slightly misleading, as far as post-transition channels - it doesn't mention re-mapping, or at least it doesn't make it obvious. However, of course that depends if they plan to re-map to previous channels post-transition, which so far most Canadian stations seem to have done.

Jase88 2011-04-29 09:11 PM

They'll likely be using a virtual channel that matches their RF channel assignment. Toronto, for example, is already 41.1--which is their post-transition assignment for digital.

roger1818 2011-05-02 02:55 PM

Interesting, Shaw lists CIII-TV-6 as shutting down and CIII-DT-6 as on-air in "Mid-August (Date TBC)." I wonder if it will line up with TVO's transition date in Ottawa of Aug. 16.

pwconsulting 2011-05-02 04:12 PM

Global

I just emailed about Oil Springs, when they are transition. Just because they say they will be all transitioned, I doubt they will wait 2016 in that market, esp, because everyone around is digital.

mr.eous 2011-05-02 04:35 PM

Quote:

Interesting, Shaw lists CIII-TV-6 as shutting down and CIII-DT-6 as on-air in "Mid-August (Date TBC)." I wonder if it will line up with TVO's transition date in Ottawa of Aug. 16.
Except for a coincidence, I'd say that's unlikely. TVO, CBC, and Global/Shaw all have their own separate transimitter buildings at the base of the tower in Paris/Ayr. Also, the VHF channel 6 broadcast antenna at the top of the tower (obviously) does not serve TVO's channel 28 -- there's a separate UHF antenna lower down for that.

roger1818 2011-05-02 06:27 PM

mr.eous, I think you are confusing CIII-TV in Paris with CIII-TV-6 in Ottawa. The channel 6 antenna for CIII-TV-6 is at the bottom of the tower at Camp Fortune. The top antenna on the tower is for CBOFT-TV.

pwconsulting 2011-05-02 06:44 PM

Global

My First email back was we do not have digital cable in the area of London, if you wanted our Satellite division..... I let them know I was inquiring about the DTV, and how many people in London, would benefit with them being here. I am now asking them why London is being ignored. I will keep you posted.

downbeat 2011-06-24 09:38 AM

CIII-DT-27 Peterborough approved by CRTC

Surprise! New entry in Stampeder's mirror of the Industry Canada database for Global TV (CIII-DT-27) in Peterborough:

Peterborough; AP; Ch. 27; CIII-DT-27; 440414 lat.; -780835 long.; 276.6 m HAAT; 140.3 m AGL; 275000 watts max.; 125000 watts avg.

pwconsulting 2011-06-24 05:22 PM

Oil Springs

Now we just have to have the Oil Springs Transmitter approved I am not sure why they are not transitioning all ready, as it is close to the US, and Global is transitioning the one down by Windsor. I actually had a better Idea. Use one transmitter down there in the middle, like CTV does, and then it can go all digital in Ontario.

alebowgm 2011-06-24 05:43 PM

Even though CIII-22 is physically located in Stevenson, ON (out near Leamington), the station is licensed for Windsor, ON and Windsor is a mandatory market for the transition. Meanwhile, Sarnia/Oil Springs isn't mandatory, hence no reason for them to make the change right now. With that said, there are conflicting reports as to if the station is transitioning or not.

tvlurker 2011-06-24 06:12 PM

I beleive Shaw's plan is to convert the non-mandatory markets by 2014.
In any case, there is more than just Sarnia to convert -- don't forget Owen Sound, Bancroft, North Bay, Sudbury, Sault Ste Marie, and Timmins.

I'm guessing they decided to convert the Peterborough station because CTV did. CTV was out of core, so it had to switch frequencies. Once CTV switched, it would put Global at a competitive disadvantage for simsubs in the Central Ontario cable market.