Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   OTA Station & Network Operational Status (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/220-ota-station-network-operational-status/)
-   -   Global Network DTV Transition Status (closed) (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/220-ota-station-network-operational-status/128235-global-network-dtv-transition-status-closed.html)

roger1818 2011-04-28 11:49 AM

It all comes down to protected contours. I would suspect that although Global's Oil Springs transmitter can be received in London, the protected contours do not include it.

OTOH, the protected contours of CityTV's Woodstock transmitter definitely covers both London and Kitchener (both of which are mandatory markets).

Edit: I wonder if when Global does transition CIII-TV-29 Oil Springs, they could be convinced to move it to the same tower as CHCH-TV-2. It would help cover London without many negative consequences since CIII-DT-22 will cover southern Ontario. Getting CKCO-TV-3 to move would be a harder sell though as they don't have a southern Ontario repeater.

pwconsulting 2011-04-28 12:13 PM

Global

That seems funny, because is that station, for Sarnia and London. How do you get that changed.

roger1818 2011-04-28 12:42 PM

Is it for the City of London? I don't have the coverage maps, but using TVFool's interactive coverage browser, I would guess that CIII-TV-29's protected contour ends just west of London. I would guess CIII-TV (Paris) is the transmitter that officially covers London. Reception results can be significantly different from protected contours however.

Edit, the contours for CIII-TV (Paris) can be found in Post #124 and they definitely include London. How easy it is to receive is another question.

pwconsulting 2011-04-28 05:57 PM

Global

The problem is that this channel comes in on Channel 6, which gets distorted by a couple of radio stations. The question I have is that if is Digital changing, so that the radio stations would not influence any more. Then I would be fine for Channel 6 in Paris. But right now, I get oil springs in more clearer then channel 6

PanaMark 2011-04-28 06:07 PM

On my side of London, my personal reception Paris transmitter is superior than that of Oil Springs. Channel 6 is a monster for FM interf. so I have got my trusty Delhi 302SR VIP on "stand by" until digital transitions are complete in late summer.
Until the change occurs I will stand pat and wait out this Global OTA storm brewing. The rated digital power from Paris scares me a bit but real life results will be the final judge.

micah 2011-04-28 07:01 PM

I'm with PanaMark. Wait it out!

BCF 2011-04-28 07:06 PM

Global digital ch.6 Paris reception in London

We will all need to wait it out, but if London cannot receive Global digital channel 6 from Paris @ ERP 4kW, then what can we do to get Global to boost their ERP, or change to UHF (and boost the ERP as well)??

PanaMark 2011-04-28 07:49 PM

Quote:

We will all need to wait it out, but if London cannot receive Global digital channel 6 from Paris @ ERP 4kW, then what can we do to get Global to boost their ERP, or change to UHF (and boost the ERP as well)??
I know one thing for sure, I won't calling the CBC to complain....opps wrong tread.
All kidding aside I really don't think it will be not all that bad. The biggest problem I foresee is most people that do catch on to OTA after conversion will be so confused with VHF and UHF assignments and be annoyed that they need a separate antenna for VHF-hi.
I am pro for VHF-hi assignment. I don't need anymore bandwidth lost to radio or cell. I for one, am still just dealing with the loss of channels 52-69 on UHF band. Some people may not share the same feelings but I often feel that television frequencies are being sold off far to easy.

roger1818 2011-04-28 09:54 PM

I am also sceptical as to how easily you will be able to receive Global on channel 6 in London. It is going to be difficult enough to receive Global here in Ottawa (also on channel 6). I am not sure if PanaMark's Delhi VIP-302SR will be good enough.

I managed to get one of the last Delhi 5Y6S antennas. For us the big problem is all the local, high power FM radio stations transmit from the same tower, so FM interference is currently a huge problem and will likely only be worse with DTV.

micah 2011-04-28 10:24 PM

Well, in theory we can file complaints with the CRTC if they're coverage isn't where it should be, right?

RFMAN 2011-04-29 12:34 AM

DTV Conversion cost

Hi to all of you,

I'm a technician that works for one of the major DTV transmitter company in Canada. You have to thrust me when I'm saying to you that transmitters and DTV equippement cost a fortune. The numbers that the stations are displaying are accurate and take in to account all the cost cutting that they can do to lower them. Don't worry, we get request by customers to trim spending at all cost.

One of the reason why it costs so much is that almost all equippement is custom made for each site. Transmitters do not come from assembly chains. They can, very often, can take up to a few days for an exiter and weeks for a full transmitter to be build. Adding to the costs are the installation of the unit at the customer site. Sometime, it could be costly depending of the transmitter location.

Thank's:cool:

pwconsulting 2011-04-29 08:37 AM

Global

You know it seems funny, that Channel 6, is used 3 times between Ottawa, and London, I wonder why Channel 6 is used so much, in those places.

stampeder 2011-04-29 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwconsulting
I wonder why Channel 6 is used so much

In Canada Global was late to the TV party so they could only get channel 6 in many locations. Channel 6 is the least desirable VHF-LO channel for broadcasters because physics and the laws of electromagnetism tell us that the higher the channel/frequency, the higher the power required to cover the same broadcast area. It therefore costs more to broadcast on Channel 6 than on lower channels. Thus, channel 2 was the first to fill up when TV began, then 3, and so on as long as an empty slot was there. The same phenomena happened in the VHF-HI range as channel 7 filled up first, then 8, and so on as long as an empty slot was available.

j0dest3r 2011-04-29 01:41 PM

It is desirable for them to be on a lower channel so they get a low number on analogue cable right?

tvlurker 2011-04-29 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0dest3r (Post 1255226)
It is desirable for them to be on a lower channel so they get a low number on analogue cable right?

No, that has nothing to do with cable channel placement.

Channel allocations in Southwest Ontario are at a premium. Just because a channel seems "empty" doesn't mean that it is availalbe for a high-power station.

Also, changing antennas and transmitters is expensive. The business value in an OTA transmitter, is, unfortunately, solely in its ability to cover protected contours that encompass BDU headends for priority coverage status. As long as a cable company can get it, they're not too worried about Joe Consumer's rabbit ears.