Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   OTA Station & Network Operational Status (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/220-ota-station-network-operational-status/)
-   -   Global Network DTV Transition Status (closed) (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/220-ota-station-network-operational-status/128235-global-network-dtv-transition-status-closed.html)

Jase88 2011-04-13 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger1818 (Post 1247963)
I thought the power increase to the Toronto transmitter was to shut down the Fort Erie transmitter. It is true that Global also argued that the extra power would cover Barrie and thus eliminate the need to transition the Midland transmitter, but I think they lost that battle as the contours of the Midland transmitter also cover Barrie (which is considered by the CRTC to be part of Toronto).

My understanding for the increase in ERP for the Toronto transmitter was to cover both Ft. Erie and Midland.

wilspin 2011-04-13 07:47 PM

Yup seems odd. If they can list Peterbororugh for the CTV repeater on 54 why not put Global 7 & in it's own Midland category? Had me scratchin' my head. Is this the channel 7 that is preventing WNGS from turning up thier power?

Jase88 2011-04-13 10:37 PM

Channel 7

It's a transitional digital channel 7 allocation in Kitchener--which was never nor will ever be used--that limited WNGS.

Though a channel 7 allocation in Midland might have an impact on WNGS as well.

roger1818 2011-04-14 12:13 PM

According to Wikipedia, WNGS's power is primarily limited by WBNG (Binghamton, NY), which is also on channel 7.

Marbles_00 2011-04-14 01:48 PM

Quote:

According to Wikipedia, WNGS's power is primarily limited by WBNG (Binghamton, NY), which is also on channel 7.
In the beginning there were concerns, but WBNG reduced its coverage area as quoted in Wiki:
Quote:

WBNG apparently reduced its coverage area, ceding some of its western territory to another station, which alleviated these concerns.
The main concern, Wiki states later down is the CKCO temporary allocation of RF7 should they decide to convert to digital prior to the analog shutdown. Which if I recall, they will be flash cutting. Be nice if they let IC know, and WNGS, so they can get the ball rolling into submitting applications to increase ERP/output power and/or antenna height.

Dave Loudin 2011-04-14 05:05 PM

Wikipedia is so wrong. WBNG has been using the same antenna and transmitter power since signing the digital on. The digital facility was meant to replicate the analog service on RF 12. As far as WNGS goes, the allocation may have specified a directional antenna, but I can't find any documentation as to why beyond protecting the interim CKCO operation.

roger1818 2011-04-14 05:14 PM

IC and the FCC take a look at the bigger, longer term picture when negotiating treaties and trans-boarder, protection is not based on stations, but allocations. Whether an allocated frequency is being used or not is irrelevant. That is not to say that exceptions can't be made on a case by case basis, but they are by no means a rubber stamp and must be justified.

wilspin 2011-04-14 08:30 PM

IS it me or are there too many channel 7's in our area?

alebowgm 2011-04-14 09:38 PM

There are, but it goes back to the old days of everyone wanting to be on VHF and 7 was the next best channel from the VHF-Lo 2-6 allotment.

pwconsulting 2011-04-17 02:31 PM

Anntenna-Global

Do you think, they might change the tower in Oil Springs for Global sooner then later, as THis will be an issue. I am wondering how 6 will be, after the transition, maybe digital will work better to get the signal I find it funny, that I get all the UHF stations here almost clear now, including 29, when I live in London.

rob50312 2011-04-17 04:20 PM

VHF low requires a VHF antenna and VHF does not penetrate buildings as well as UHF.I can receive receive Global on 6 in mississauga poorly but suspect their signal will be much weaker after transition on 6 because of their low power.

Jase88 2011-04-17 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwconsulting (Post 1249807)
Do you think, they might change the tower in Oil Springs for Global sooner then later, as THis will be an issue.

Apparently Shaw Media (which now owns Global) committed--through their "tangible benefits" deal with regards to the acquisition of Global--to converting all existing analog transmitters to digital. Further, Shaw, through various press releases, appears to fully support the digital transition and modernization of it's conventional broadcasting assets.

My guess is that you may soon see a transition to digital at Oil Springs.

Humbar 2011-04-17 05:26 PM

SHAW has the $$$$ to easily do the conversion.

Jase88 2011-04-17 05:33 PM

Well, Bell/CTV, CBC, Rogers, and Shaw all have the money to convert every conventional broadcast transmitter in Canada. It comes down to whether they're willing or not. Most aren't.

BCF 2011-04-17 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwconsulting (Post 1249807)
Do you think, they might change the tower in Oil Springs for Global sooner then later, as THis will be an issue. I am wondering how 6 will be, after the transition, maybe digital will work better to get the signal I find it funny, that I get all the UHF stations here almost clear now, including 29, when I live in London.

Global (Shaw) plans to convert all Global transmitters to digital by 2016, including their Oil Springs CIII-TV-29. I remember seeing this on some kind of form Global/Shaw submitted to the CRTC a few months back. As for Global CIII ch.6 from Paris, Ontario... at an ERP of 4kW, it may be difficult to get decent reception in London :(