Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Bell Fibe TV (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-bell-fibe-tv/)
-   -   Fibe, Questions.. (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-bell-fibe-tv/127778-fibe-questions.html)

tlb 2014-12-08 09:12 AM

Quote:

"Depends whether your FIBE is FTTN (copper from the box) or FTTH (fibre all the way)." how can we find which is in my area
It is unlikely that older homes would have FTTH as they would have had to lay down a Fibre line right into the house. Newer developments might have it as they can lay down the lines as they are building. Older existing home would likely have copper phone lines coming into the house.

Gordono911 2014-12-08 03:28 PM

Our house is 42 years old and we got Fibe with fiber to the computer in basement last year . So FTTH is also done in old projects at least in QC.

NY613 2015-01-02 10:17 PM

So after few days on Fibe, I seem pretty happy, the experience feel better on bell, the picture quality does seem a bit improved.... One thing I don't like though, so we got 1 PVR and 2 wireless TV's, if we're all watching TV, and you one recording in HD, on one of the TV's you cannot watch in HD. Not sure if there is a way to change that, if so hopefully people can tell me

cabinboy 2015-01-03 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY613 (Post 2382985)
So after few days on Fibe, I seem pretty happy, the experience feel better on bell, the picture quality does seem a bit improved.... One thing I don't like though, so we got 1 PVR and 2 wireless TV's, if we're all watching TV, and you one recording in HD, on one of the TV's you cannot watch in HD. Not sure if there is a way to change that, if so hopefully people can tell me

I believe you can watch/record up to 3 programs simultaneously. When this occurs in our household I switch the wife's TV over to SD....not a big deal to her.

Jeune Loup 2015-02-11 04:01 PM

I am thinking of switching to Fibe pretty soon. I am right now with Videotron. I need more English HD channels badly, and I am tired of giving money to you know who at Quebecor.
My house is a ranch house on one floor. No basement.
The wire comes in the house in the garage at one end of the house. From the garage, I have wires going to every room. They are all inside the walls. The house was renovated completely in 2008. So each room has a specific wire ending up in the garage.
The main computer to hook up to the internet is in the office, which is near the garage. The PVR would go in the living room at the other end of the house. And I have two rooms where I have a tv, and I guess these would be hooked up by wireless receiver.
So if the main Fibe wire comes in the garage, can they put the modem in the garage, and use the wire from there to the computer, and one wire to the main PVR ?
Does the modem need to be near the PVR, or next to the computer?

Thank you in advance for your expertise....

nitra 2015-02-11 04:08 PM

It's safe in the garage.

Norman_C 2015-02-11 11:58 PM

Quote:

Does the modem need to be near the PVR, or next to the computer?
Depends. I'd suggest that you put the PVR near the modem, which will be near the computer, then handle the TV wirelessly, so you'll need three wireless receivers. Reason - you'd need to rum coax or ethernet from the modem to the computer(I'm assuming it's hard-wired, not wireless) and to the PVR, and, from the sound of it, that would be tricky (I take it your "wires" are telephone and not coax or ethernet). The PVR can be anywhere providing you have enough wireless TV terminals.
Of course, if your "wires" are ethernet, then you can have the modem in the garage or office, and the PVR in the living room, as you asked.

nitra 2015-02-12 12:05 AM

I have my modem way in the back of the house.

PVR and one terminal are fed by coax, one terminal is wireless, one terminal is fed by cat 6.
The PVR must be hard wired.

tvlurker 2015-02-12 07:54 AM

Since you already have coax cable inside the house with Videotron, the Bell installer should be able to reuse those cables for the HPNA connection to the PVR, so you can colocate the PVR next to one of th TVs. Why rent an extra receiver for nothing?

Jeune Loup 2015-02-12 08:32 AM

Thanks. So the PVR only needs a coax connection. No ethernet wire needed?

Bplayer 2015-02-12 09:28 AM

Correct, the PVR can operate with coax. Putting the PVR near the modem might mean in the garage, and would be a problem if the garage is not heated as the HDD is likely not rated to sub zero temperatures. Not sure what the operating temperature range is for the modem but this could be an issue as well if located in the garage.

Bplayer 2015-02-12 09:35 AM

You also need one end the coax terminating where the modem is located. If the office has both phone and coax then it should be possible to locate the filter and modem there, connect he coax to the modem, use different wires to redistribute telephone service back to the garage and all the other phone lines. The PVR can then be located near the master TV. All the other coax connection would then be dead.

Jeune Loup 2015-02-12 09:56 AM

The garage is heated.

There are coax and phone line going to the office. That's where the Videotron modem is right now.

So maybe they should simply bring the outside fibe wire directly into the office (same outside wall as the garage, put the modem there, and use the existing coax line from office to the garage, and from there use the coax line to the main Tv for the PVR.

I just don't want to set up my appointment with the Fibe installer, and find out it can't be done. Since I don't have a basement, I don't want to undo any walls, or have wires all over the house outside the walls.

tvlurker 2015-02-12 11:12 AM

The PVR could be connected via ethernet, but my understanding is that most installers use coax for the HPNA over coax ethernet connection.

They will also run new coax if the required locations do not have them already. However, if you have no basement, I do not believe they are allowed to go in the attic, so you might have to live with either baseboard or outside cable routing if they have to install new cable.
(Note - I believe they will only run coax between the modem and the PVR, and not to other TVs. The other TVs are supposed to use wireless conenctions.)

Also, make sure that your modem is placed in a location that can cover the whole house via wireless. If the garage is off to one side, it might not be the best location.

Jeune Loup 2015-02-12 11:28 AM

No basement, and no attic.... Ultra modern one floor house.