Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Bell Fibe TV (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-bell-fibe-tv/)
-   -   Fibe, Questions.. (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-bell-fibe-tv/127778-fibe-questions.html)

Dr.Dave 2014-11-30 11:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I think you mean download speed - from the node to you. The distance from the node to your house is the determining factor, but be aware that the wire may not travel in a straight line. The actual distance may not be obvious, especially if you have buried cable.

NY613 2014-12-06 07:59 AM

Thinking of switching.

Currently with Rogers.

Thinking of switching to bell fibe.

thoughts on the service? is bell fibe picture quality better? are the wireless receivers reliable? is the internet connection fast?(would be going with five 50), does the internet connection get impacted by watching TV?

vmpv 2014-12-06 08:12 AM

I switched from Rogers to Fibe when it hit my area a few years ago. Haven't really had any complaints at all now that I think of it.:o Picture quality is fine. Depends on the station for the most part. I get some really crappy feeds from Sunday ticket sometimes. (Sunday Ticket more expensive on Fibe last I looked).I have only one wireless receiver that is pretty much at the remotest part of my modest house and have had no issues. One plus I have found is that this system has been the most reliable yet in providing Closed Caption which I absolutely require. No more reboots on a weekly/daily basis like I found with both Rogers and Bell Sat. Can't speak to the internet speeds as I don't torrent and don't online game but I haven't had any issues. I also like the remote app and the Bell Tv app. I'm sure others will be providing their experiences.

NY613 2014-12-06 08:17 AM

i found one person complain about bell, here is what he quoted

"Be very careful about Bell's promise to deliver top internet speed with Fibe. I live in the west-end of Toronto and the best speed Bell could deliver was 6 mbps even though every CSR assured me my area was designated for the max available. After almost two years and numerous technicians later, every tech said the same thing i.e. that the switch box on my street was completely inadequate to deliver more and until Bell completely changed the infrastructure nothing would improve"

so how do I know if my neighbourhood switch box been changed to support bell fibe.

another thing they told me, is that the internet modem connects to a phone line, how can the phone line provide fibe?

vmpv 2014-12-06 08:53 AM

Perhaps if you posted your location, those in your area would be able to provide insight. I'm in Whitby, no doubt with a newer infrastructure as the subdivision is only about 16 years old.

NY613 2014-12-06 09:14 AM

Im in ottawa in the gloucester area, near silvercity if anybody knows

MCIBUS 2014-12-06 09:45 AM

My friend use to work for Bell(retired now) but lived near that area(near Mermaid Pools) and he could get Fibe TV at that time (a year or so ago). Now grant you he maybe in an area that has it and you don't even though you may be next to his neighborhood?

tlb 2014-12-06 10:30 AM

Quote:

Thinking of switching to bell fibe.

thoughts on the service? is bell fibe picture quality better? are the wireless receivers reliable? is the internet connection fast?(would be going with five 50), does the internet connection get impacted by watching TV?
I'm in the east (Blackburn Hamlet) and have had fibe for about three years. Absolutely no problems with anything. I have the 15/10 plan and actually get 17.5/7.5 which remains solid with 3 HD channels running.

NY613 2014-12-06 12:31 PM

good to hear... I ordered bell fibe 50... Hoping their TV picture quality and reliability is better than rogers

vmpv 2014-12-06 06:48 PM

NY613, It would be interesting to hear your thoughts as to the picture quality difference between Rogers and Fibe as you will have the latest hands on experience so to speak when you get Fibe installed. Please post back and share your opinion.

NY613 2014-12-07 09:55 AM

I'll post my thoughts... I got a professionally calibrated Pioneer Elite Plasma too... looking forward to seeing the picture difference on it.

Tanta 2014-12-07 05:32 PM

My brother lives in Altavista and Fibe is to the node there, so twisted pair into the house. He is still 'on the fence' with Bell Sat. Please let us know if you are on 'copper' too, and how good the Internet speeds are in Gloucester. Thanks!

NY613 2014-12-07 09:13 PM

How am I suppose to know if I'm copper? they told me my area is setup for Fibe

Norman_C 2014-12-07 10:45 PM

Tanta:
If you're on FTTN, then your speeds are dependent on distance from the "box" where the fibre goes as far as. I'm on FTTN in downtown Toronto, with the box about 400 m away, and I'm thrilled with TV and the 27 Mbps download speed (7 Mbps upload speed not quite so good) on 25/10 service.
NY613:
Depends whether your FIBE is FTTN (copper from the box) or FTTH (fibre all the way).

NY613 2014-12-07 11:31 PM

"Depends whether your FIBE is FTTN (copper from the box) or FTTH (fibre all the way)." how can we find which is in my area