Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Bell Fibe TV (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-bell-fibe-tv/)
-   -   Fibe, Questions.. (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-bell-fibe-tv/127778-fibe-questions.html)

57 2014-06-18 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dheian (Post 2167905)
...does Bell offer any bundles for just home phone and TV?

Possible, but a bit of a pain since you need to subscribe, then cancel. See the following thread on the topic - last few pages.:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=136086

dheian 2014-06-18 11:16 PM

Thanks for the link!

scrooloose 2014-09-09 10:51 PM

Contemplating switching from Bell TV (Satellite) to FibeTV and I have a few questions:

• I want Television only and for the apps provided via the television to work - but I don't want Internet or phone. I read this is called zero rated Internet. Is this possible and are there any gotchas?
  • I live just up the road from the fibre/copper distribution hub that was just installed - about 200 meters. I have four HD televisions although generally only two are in use at one time. How many HD streams will I have (again, assuming no Internet)?
  • On the Bell website they mention only wireless receivers for additional televisions. My house is wired with RG6 coax. I don't want to use wireless for the remote televisions. Can I still buy a wired receiver or is the new wireless receiver also wired?
  • Are the channel numbers aligned basically the same as Bell TV? I assume FibeTV would have all the channels satellite does at least?
-Mike

57 2014-09-10 12:26 AM

As indicated in post 691, here's the thread on zero rated. Please have a read of what you need to do for that and ask any additional questions on that topic there. My understanding is that you have to subscribe for a month or so and then cancel internet.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...ght=zero+rated

Someone else more familiar with Fibe will have to answer your other questions, although the channel lineups are not identical, with some minor differences in the channels that are available.

nitra 2014-09-10 12:03 PM

Channel numbers don't match Fibe VS Sat.
New Wireless receivers work with CAT5/6, or wireless.
Personally, I'd take new new receivers rather than the old RG6 coax receivers, they are quite slow and are not as feature packed as the newer ones. The guide isn't as impressive, loading apps and pretty much doing anything on them are markedly slower.

Zero-rated is obtainable.
When you order, you need to get it with Internet, from day 1, don't use it, login to the router and disable the Wifi. Call Bell back after you get your first bill and speak to retentions. Ask them for zero-rated. Only retentions can put it on zero-rated.

Internet makes no difference on the number of streams, you will get 3HD and 1SD total.
The PVR is capable of 8HD streams, but it's still locked to 3HD/1SD.

betterthancable 2014-09-10 02:31 PM

Personally, I'd take new new receivers rather than the old RG6 coax receivers, they are quite slow and are not as feature packed as the newer ones. The guide isn't as impressive, loading apps and pretty much doing anything on them are markedly slower.

The wired receivers installed today (VIP2202) have the same guide and menus as the wireless receivers. As NITRA states the processor is slower on the wired as they are older models. I don't have any issues running wireless receivers wirelessly they work great.

Pinza 2014-09-10 04:34 PM

Is there a way to stop Fibe receivers turning off after 4 hours of inactivity.?

Anything in the Menu, like there is with the SAT Receivers.?

nitra 2014-09-10 06:04 PM

No. Not possible.

scrooloose 2014-09-10 10:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback on my questions. I'll have to give Bell a call on the Internet thing. I don't want to rely on retentions to get rid of it. If they had a really cheap Internet plan I might consider it as a backup but there minimal Fibe plan looks really expensive.

-Mike

tvlurker 2014-09-10 11:03 PM

The only way to get a deal is through retentions. You'll be speaking to someone in Canada who is empowered to negotiate (within predetermined limits, of course).

It seems like all the cable and phone companies operate this way...

nitra 2014-09-11 07:04 PM

Side-note.... If you make no mention of the PVR when they swap you to zero-rated.... The free PVR won't poof on the account.

Pinza 2014-09-12 10:03 AM

Thanks nitra.....

scrooloose 2014-09-13 05:38 PM

Another few FibeTV question if I may...

I'm a little hung up on the limitation of 3 HD streams at once. It's not infrequent that I'm recording two shows at once. That only leaves one HD stream for all the other televisions. I guess I could manage but it's a major limitation in my mind. Is there any method of getting more than 3 HD at once (pair bonding perhaps)?

Anyway, does the PVR have component outputs and, if so, are they active at the same time as the HDMI output? I have two televisions connected to my Bell 9242 receiver and that works well.

I assume the remote is IR only?

Oh, is the weather channel offered through FibeTV the national one or would I get one closer to home?

-Mike

Dr.Dave 2014-09-14 03:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I've never heard of Bell allowing more than 3 HD and 1 SD, even with FTTH where bandwidth isn't an issue.

Personally, I schedule recordings for everything I want to watch and hardly ever channel-surf. When I want to watch something, I just pick a previously recorded program.

If you have conflicts with live viewing, you can usually schedule specialty channel programs for off-peak times since they usually repeat. If that's still not enough, you can schedule your network TV recordings on the timeshift channels.

All the boxes have component, HDMI, composite video, optical audio and stereo analog audio outputs, with everything active. Some of the older boxes also have a second pair of analog audio jacks and a coax output.

The remote is infrared.

I'm not in Bell Territory, so I can't answer the weather channel question. There may be a local feed for the SD channel and the HD channel may be a national feed.

Lusofonia 2014-09-14 05:44 AM

scrooloose
Quote:

Oh, is the weather channel offered through FibeTV the national one or would I get one closer to home?
The channel itself offers local, national and international weather forecasts and reports.

The Weather Network app will allow you to get your local weather forecasts. You can do a city search, add/remove/reorder cities and change the units of measurements.