Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Wind Mobile (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/209-wind-mobile/)
-   -   7 Eleven Speak out wireless prepaid (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/209-wind-mobile/125293-7-eleven-speak-out-wireless-prepaid.html)

cdnuser 2010-06-01 11:46 AM

7 Eleven Speak out wireless prepaid

Not too many people have heard about Speak-out wireless (prepaid) but I have been doing a lot of research on my next phone. I don't use the phone very much 1-2 times a day, plus a few texts. I just bought the phone which is a Nokia 5130. good decent phone. I was supprised though that I didn't have to give any info over the phone, not even my name. So far I really like the phone. It has MP3/radio/Bluetooth/internet/sim card & SD card.

I pay 25cents/min. The one big thing I noticed is the huge local calling area. I am in the GTA and I can call Toronto and all of the 905.
Out going texts are 10cents incoming is free. They do have an unlimited browsing which is 10/month. Cards expire after 365days even with 20 bucks. this is what sold me since I can go days without using the phone.

They use the Rogers network so I get service almost anywhere.

Perfect!

AmowAgou 2010-06-01 12:06 PM

The local calling area is much bigger than the big 3.

http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/wp-co...x_aug82008.pdf

FootandMouth 2010-06-03 10:47 PM

One thing I can add is they have the best customer service I have had from phone company. They are a great addition to the cell phone market in canada

cfraser 2010-06-08 09:50 PM

Thanks for posting this. I am looking for a cell phone that I'll almost never use, so want to minimize costs. $25/year (min. voucher now I think) to have for my purpose is plenty fine. I think I'll check this out tomorrow.

north49 2010-06-09 01:31 PM

The only problem are the seemingly lack of 7-11's in the GTA (in my opinion) .Is this service also very similar to the PetroCan/Sunoco cell service?

cfraser 2010-06-09 01:41 PM

^ That is so funny, I was just going to post that "could be a problem", but went looking for a better list of 7-11 in Canada instead...which I didn't find. They really need to allow you to buy vouchers over the phone...but it seems they want to keep the whole process anonymous.

I am coming off a phone that was provided, and even though it was "free" I never really used it. Still, I can't decide if I should get a really cheap crappy phone I won't use, or a not-so-cheap less-crappy phone I won't use... :)

apn 2010-06-09 02:08 PM

7-11 and PetroCanada's mobile services are operated by the same MVNO/operator, namely Ztar Mobile.

cfraser 2010-06-09 02:34 PM

^ Which means? :)

Another "odd" thing is the only 7-11 near here is also a small PC station. [edit: as you more knowledgable guys probably guessed, it is in fact an Esso. I've gone there once a week for years and didn't even know the brands LOL. Further in my defense of ignorance, I can't read the signs because I go the wrong way up a road to get in there. :)] Will go there later today and see if they offer both services.

Apparently no 7-11s in Ottawa anymore, that is a prime location where I *would* likely use the cell and may need to top-up. One should remember that convenience stores (in general) are dropping like flies in Ontario these days, whereas PC gas stations are pretty steady. That 7-11 I mentioned just above has a prime location and seems busy whenever I go, even in the middle of the night (it's 24 hour). It will likely stay in business. I didn't even know it was a 7-11 until I checked when seeing this thread...

One thing that is cool though, is if you travel within Canada and need to call home. That counts as a local call, as long as the phone is registered to your home area code.

Just throwing out some thoughts. I'm figuring on amortising the phone cost over 3 years. The fact that PC vouchers are only good for 6 months [edit: guy at a PC said it's 120 days/4 months now...even worse] does seem to make it more expensive for very light users, vs being easy to find a place to get them (I presume).

Where I am coming from is I was surprised how much even the cheapest contracted plan is. I never saw a cell bill for years, so didn't care about the cost. I couldn't find anything less than a couple hundred $ a year. Thus I was glad to see this thread that provides an alternative for me for the short to medium term.

Edit: after all my gobbling, called and they said they are planning to offer online voucher sales, probably within a month, but "soon". I bet this has a lot to do with all the 7-11s closing already this year... Not quite as good as being able to do it by phone (presumably by the CS #), but it helps.

More edit: The cheapest phone has an unusable for me KB. The next up has the biggest/most usable KB. You could actually fairly easily text with it, though by no means optimal. The top phone also has a problematical KB for me. I am small too, no pudgy fingers, might work better for a female. Don't like the colour either, which also might work better for a female. :) Luckily the KB was a better excuse for rejecting. The middle phone config with the top phone features would have been quite acceptable...I'm going to have to wait for another phone offering, or see what the more knowledgable have done re swapping SIM with something from Rogers.

hugh 2010-06-09 03:11 PM

I looked at Speak out for my daughter since I want to get her a PayGo with virtually unlimited text but they don't seem to have texting phones with the slide out keyboard.

cfraser 2010-06-09 05:03 PM

I think that's why their unlimited [edit: actually 2500/month] texting is so cheap (for PAYG): they know you won't be sending many with their phones. :)

You never know, they *may* just add a more texting-friendly phone to their lineup soon. Certainly would make it more attractive for teens, say. It looks like the 5130 has been there for quite a while, and though they've dropped the price, it's still a little pricey for its features IMO.

I guess people are just buying the cheapest SO phone and sticking the SIM in something better for texting from Rogers (they're promoting the Samsung HYPE for cheap now). They probably expect you to do that LOL, just putting an extra hoop (and $$) in the way.

markf 2010-06-09 11:48 PM

Swapping SO SIMs must be a popular thing. When I bought mine and asked for the cheapest phone, the sales person asked me if I was just swapping SIM card.

The cheapest phone is very cheap (I bought mine in March). So far service has been good, no problems with it at all. I am currently back on Rogers for the month (they offered $5 for free which will last me the month), but the low top ups that last a year is what I was looking for.

cfraser 2010-06-10 03:35 PM

I need some help here guys! I can't keep bugging the phone people at "work" as I no longer work there (as they say in Texas, "ah am retahrd"). We went through Bell so they have limited info for me at this stage anyway.

I guess I'll get the cheapest 7-11 phone and transfer the SIM. I am thinking that I can just go to Rogers and pick any phone, probably one under $200. True or false? That is the main point I'm not entirely sure of, otherwise the choice of phone is up to me. I don't want much, just something like I mentioned at the very end of post #8. I am entirely unskilled at this, so the SIM exchange has to be dead simple and probably not involve anything else. Thanks.

pathfinder 2010-06-10 10:50 PM

Cfraser: Basically, true - Speak out is on Rogers network and so even locked Rogers phones will work with Speakout SIMs. See this site - lots of good info...http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/

I have an Iphone on speakout network...

cfraser 2010-06-11 09:47 AM

OK, thanks. That's what I thought. I think I have read all of the stuff from the last few months in that SO forum. I wasn't necessarily considering buying a phone *from* Rogers, but some I looked at were ones locked to Rogers. I think they are surplus older models that Rogers never sold. Was just trying to keep the question simple. :)

One question I forgot: perhaps I need to get one of the SO phones that has data capability, if I want to use that SIM and get data with any other phone? The cheapest phone doesn't have data. I did read that SO CS will enable data if you ask though, it just won't be automatic like for the other two models...but I'm not sure of this.

And one thing I noticed: some of the GSM phones I looked at (ex Rogers IIRC) do not have EDGE data capability (they had some other scheme that I forget), though otherwise seem OK. I think I need to have that for SO data, correct? Thanks.

You know, after reading around some reviews and comments, the Nokia 5130 7-11 sells sounds not too bad in function after all. People seem to get by with the keyboard, so I guess I can, considering it's for extremely casual use. It just felt really slippery and non-tactile to me, not good with tight key spacing. I wonder if microSDHC cards work in it? I have a 4GB one, and apparently 4GB ones work even though they say 2GB max., but it says microSD in the 5130 specs (or are all 4GBs SDHC ones, meaning all 4GB should work?). The idea being that I might as well use it to play tunes if not so much for a phone.

taxtwit 2010-06-11 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfraser (Post 1111649)
One question I forgot: perhaps I need to get one of the SO phones that has data capability, if I want to use that SIM and get data with any other phone? The cheapest phone doesn't have data. I did read that SO CS will enable data if you ask though, it just won't be automatic like for the other two models...but I'm not sure of this.

It is the SIM card, not the phone, that allows you to have data access, so it doesn't matter what phone you buy, i.e. AFAIK, every SO simcard has "data capability", regardless of whether the phone it is in has "data capability" or not. For accessing data using a SO Simcard, see this:

http://www.binarysearchtree.com/index.shtml (scroll down to third article)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfraser (Post 1111649)
I wonder if microSDHC cards work in it? I have a 4GB one, and apparently 4GB ones work even though they say 2GB max., but it says microSD in the 5130 specs (or are all 4GBs SDHC ones, meaning all 4GB should work?). The idea being that I might as well use it to play tunes if not so much for a phone.

SD cards (including micros) maxed out at 2GB, i.e. anything over 2 GBs is SDHC. Some older devices are not capable of reading SDHC, hence the 2 GB max.