Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/)
-   -   Best Android Phone in Canada right now? (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/125185-best-android-phone-canada-right-now.html)

Bobafart 2010-05-29 12:38 PM

Best Android Phone in Canada right now?

After researching Android phones currently available in Canada I think the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 is the best one out there. It runs Android 2.0 (does it run Android 2.2?) and it seems to have the latest features.

I would love the Nexus One or the HTC Incredible but there is no word on when they will be released in Canada. (The Nexus One as a subsidized phone not a sale through the Google website).

I am posting this to see if my information is correct. If anyone knows of a better Android phone than the Sony X10 right now please post.

JohnnyCanuck 2010-05-29 12:46 PM

I have the X10 and I like it ... but it does not run 2.0. It is running 1.6 and does not support multi-touch. SonyEricsson have confirmed Android 2.1 in the fall. While the hardware is really cool and I love Android, if I had to do it again I would probably not buy a phone that's locked into such an old iteration of the OS for so long.

Bobafart 2010-05-29 01:07 PM

thanks for the reply

unless you buy a stock android phone (ie. Nexus One) you will always be stuck with an old OS iteration since the companies (Sony, HTC, etc) have to skin their versions of the new OS which can take months. I think that is just a drawback to any non-Nexus One Android phone.

Did you remove the plastic cover? Is the touch senstivity at bad as people say it is?

Is the processor pretty fast or is there a lot of lag when handling applications?

Mind if I ask if you have an SD card? If so how many gigs?

Sorry, I have a million questions.

JohnnyCanuck 2010-05-29 01:48 PM

With respect to touch sensitivity, the problem actually isn't the plastic cover but the default keyboard. Bought "Better Keyboard" from the Android Market and it's like night and day. I notice virtually no lag ... it's a powerful phone. Especially compared to my Blackberry 9000.

I have a 16GB MicroSD card.

TorontoColin 2010-05-29 01:49 PM

Personally I'd just buy an unsubsidized Nexus One, but if you have to get it subsidized I'd picked the Motorola Milestone, I believe it now runs 2.1. Alternatively you could wait for the HTC Desire which it appears Telus will soon be carrying.

The problem with the X10 is that if Sony is only offering 2.1 this fall, how long will you have to wait for FroYo? Not only that but fall is the approximate release date for Gingerbread too.

Bobafart 2010-05-29 02:16 PM

If I get an unsubsidized Nexus One, how do my monthly billings change with Rogers? Do they discount the monthly rates since I bought my own phone?

eimaj 2010-05-29 03:40 PM

I've had the milestone for a month now and absolutely love it. Great virtual keyboard and a slider if you want, gorgeous 3.7" screen, came with 16 gb sd card, tons of cool apps, and I have it running android 2.1 which I updated from the motorola site. 2.2 (froyo) is supposed to be coming soon to the site and I'm looking forward to that. AND, I'm using it for this reply. Love this device.

I believe telus is having a special on it right now for $150 with a 3 year contract, and places like bb, fs and visions offer gift cards with new activations. Pretty sweet deal.

dalmond 2010-05-29 05:45 PM

Bills with Rogers likely won't change. You may be able to get a one-time credit if you haggle with them, but they don't really care if you bring your own phone and don't charge less monthly. (I imagine they would charge more if they could figure out a way to justify it.)

jvincent 2010-05-29 06:26 PM

The Nexus one is probably the best. However, Rogers won't give you a price break if you get one.

If you wait a bit, the Acer Liquid E is coming to Rogers soon. It looks like an upgrade to the HTC Magic, which is actually a pretty good phone.

taxtwit 2010-05-31 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobafart (Post 1106659)
If I get an unsubsidized Nexus One, how do my monthly billings change with Rogers? Do they discount the monthly rates since I bought my own phone?

I've got a Nexus One (which I love) and am on a Rogers pay as you go plan, which works great for me. One thing to keep in mind buying a Nexus One from Google is that you're getting an unlocked phone, which means you might be able to negotiate a better rate with one carrier by threatening to go to another. You can also swap SIM cards to avoid (for e.g.) outrageous roaming/LD charges if you go the US frequently.

polaris 2010-06-01 07:28 PM

If you are not planning on leaving Rogers in 3 years, get a new iPhone from them on 3 year contact, sell it and get your Android phone of choice.

The iPhone that will be launched likely later this month will be worth $800 or so I would bet.

Unless you get a pay as you go plan, the carrier rates are all setup to be for subsidized phones so you should take advantage of that. Im not sure how cost effective pay as you go data is, if you want data.

I would bet on some hot competition in the next few weeks with the launch of the new iPhone and some newer Android phones in the next few months.

CrazyCDN 2010-06-02 09:23 PM

according to mobilesyrup.com the HTC Legend will be released to the Bell network in a couple of weeks.

The Legend is supposed to come with Android 2.1 ... has multi-touch and a vibrant 3.2” AMOLED capacitive touchscreen.

Looks like a pretty wicked phone.

profets 2010-06-03 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCDN (Post 1108355)
according to mobilesyrup.com the HTC Legend will be released to the Bell network in a couple of weeks.

The Legend is supposed to come with Android 2.1 ... has multi-touch and a vibrant 3.2” AMOLED capacitive touchscreen.

Looks like a pretty wicked phone.

The Legend looks like a great mid-range Android phone I would say. Also has a great aluminum body in addition to what you mentioned. But the CPU, ram, screen both greatly lack compared to the Nexus One or Desire (which will launch with Telus this summer).

redzone 2010-06-03 11:38 AM

the x10 is the best currently and im sure it wont be logn till its hacked to run android 2.2

jvincent 2010-06-03 11:56 AM

According to the DHL shipping status, my Nexus One is in town. If I'm lucky I'll have it running tonight.

I'll be running 2.2 very shortly. :)