Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Wind Mobile (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/209-wind-mobile/)
-   -   Shaw to launch wireless services in 2011 (canceled) (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/209-wind-mobile/123375-shaw-launch-wireless-services-2011-canceled.html)

magnet 2010-04-09 09:20 AM

Shaw to launch wireless services in 2011 (canceled)

31 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Shaw Communications Inc. announced plans Friday to launch wireless services late next year, ending endless speculation about its crucial entry into Canada's wireless market.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1528765/

Nanuuk 2010-04-09 09:34 AM

Its about time. Hopefully it will be a reliable and competitive offering.

magnet 2010-04-09 09:37 AM

31 Attachment(s)
Like Shaw phone, my guess is they will be at the same price point as the competition with more features and/or cheaper long distance and data rates.

billhome 2010-04-11 05:25 PM

One of things I like about Shaw is that they don't lock you into a contract. This applies even to their special promotions. I hope they carry this over to their wireless services.

outinthornhill 2010-04-12 10:01 AM

I'll be happy if people in the Shaw service area get some benefit from this. The surprise is that it is taking Shaw so long to get out of the starting gate. As these things go, late 2011 probably means mid 2012.

Videotron in Québec and Shaw in the West pose more of a challenge to Bell, Telus and Rogers in that they also can offer discounts on bundles of services. If the big-three incumbents respond to the new competition, it will be to the strategies of their cable and telco competitors more than to the minor irritation of the single-sector wireless start-ups.

Nanuuk 2010-04-14 07:20 PM

Its my understanding (not sure where I read it) that Shaw will use a technology that will leapfrog the current 4G standard. I'm not too knowledgeable about this (I just want a phone with a reasonably priced talk plan), but that could explain their delay.

17671 2010-04-14 07:42 PM

everyone said they wont lock you into contracts at first, then they changed their mind down the road. who's to say shaw will not do the same?

robsaw 2010-04-15 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanuuk (Post 1090036)
Its my understanding (not sure where I read it) that Shaw will use a technology that will leapfrog the current 4G standard. I'm not too knowledgeable about this (I just want a phone with a reasonably priced talk plan), but that could explain their delay.

The current "standard" is 3 or 3.5G, not 4G, otherwise known as HSPA(+) (HSUPA/HSDPA/UMTS/WCDMA). There is speculation that Shaw will go directly to LTE (which is actually a pre-4G spec), which will really limit its phone line-up (assuming it won't simply focus on wireless data and avoid competition in the voice-phone market for a while).

Dr.Dave 2010-04-15 08:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Shaw answered this question on their last conference call, saying they were considering going straight to LTE and would make the decision closer to the roll-out.

They also emphasized their existing customer base and bundling possibilities, so I would expect heavy marketing to existing customers.

Shaw doesn't have contracts for anything else, so they have no reason to no reason to lock you in on cell phones.

outinthornhill 2010-04-16 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Dave (Post 1090224)
Shaw answered this question on their last conference call, saying they were considering going straight to LTE and would make the decision closer to the roll-out.

They also emphasized their existing customer base and bundling possibilities, so I would expect heavy marketing to existing customers.

Shaw doesn't have contracts for anything else, so they have no reason to no reason to lock you in on cell phones.

Going directly to LTE might explain the delayed launch and save Shaw a lot of money in the long-run. It's not going to be easy competing with Telus, especially in AB where the coverage is thick and deep, while Wind is picking the easy, low-hanging fruit in Calgary and Edmonton.

robsaw 2010-04-16 02:42 PM

Quote:

Yes - "considering". Since they haven't confirmed yet, I am wondering how far along they really are towards roll-out. I mean, have they even contracted with a radio/network equipment provider yet?

envirogeek 2010-04-16 03:06 PM

Perhaps I'm being too cynical but...

I was a quadruple play customer for them at one time, with Shaw Internet, Digital Phone, Shaw Cable and Star Choice. By the time they deliver wireless I will likely only be a Shaw Internet customer. I think that upper management is starting to suffer from extreme patting themselves on the back syndrome over how profitable they have been, and they are losing their competitive/customer service focus while Belus seem to be improving theirs.

Based on previous publicly stated dates from Shaw corporate for updates to Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct hardware (Motorola external HD support stated in 2006, delivered in 2009 / DSR 530 firmware upgrade promised circa 2007 or earlier, delivered in ?), I'm not holding my breath for a 2011 delivery if they can't even lay out some kind of road map for wireless in 2010.

Dr.Dave 2010-04-26 04:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
It looks like Shaw is getting the ball rolling on hiring a Senior Wireless Architect to design it's Next Generation Network.

It sounds a little more ambitious than what they talked about earlier.
Quote:

"Next generation wireless encompasses much more than just cell-phones," said Peter Bissonnette, President, Shaw Communications. "We're approaching wireless in an innovative, leading-edge way that will allow for a variety of exciting new mobile opportunities in and out-of-home for our customers."

SomeRandomGuy 2010-04-28 09:09 AM

Quote:

Dave,

I would argue that the biggest reason for locking a customer into a contract is for the recovery of the hardware costs. Cellphones are that one item that the hardware is not recycled when a customer leaves the provider.

I think it is pretty safe to say that if Shaw does go the non-contract route that it will shake up the market a bit.

Dr.Dave 2010-05-11 10:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I watched an interview with Peter Bissonnette on BNN where he said that they were close to selecting the vendor for their network. Some of the vendors they are considering have a hybrid 3G/4G solution that will allow them to install the core network and move to LTE without upgrading all the transmission towers.

He also mentioned that one of the reasons that they purchased Global in Shaw rather than letting Corus do it, was to be at the table to negotiate digital rights for internet and mobile at the same time.