Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Wind Mobile (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/209-wind-mobile/)
-   -   Windmobile in Montreal? (No) (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/209-wind-mobile/123189-windmobile-montreal-no.html)

Tanta 2010-04-04 04:37 PM

Windmobile in Montreal? (No)
 
So I inquired about 'eastward expansion' by Windmobile and here is the official reply:

As of right now we do not have plans to expand a HOME zone into Quebec, much to our dismay. The network in this area was purchased by another carrier, thus disabling us from using it to expand our network. Should this change at any time, we will do everything in our power to be able to extend the network out to our friends and fans in Quebec, so keep an eye on our blogs and websites for more details.

Cheers!

Sniff :(

Dr.Dave 2010-04-04 07:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Videotron outbid everyone for the spectrum allocated for new entrants in Quebec so they wouldn't have any competition other than the big 3.

Update on Videotron’s 2010 AWS Launch

outinthornhill 2010-04-05 10:40 AM

Have to love the "wind-speak". They spread it thicker than a farmer fertilizing the pasture in spring.

Videotron may have acquired all the spectrum reserved for new carriers in Quebec but only because the others didn't make an serious attempts to participate. Starting a new wireless company is challenging enough without having to do so in 2 languages. By limiting themselves to Ontario and west, Wind and Mobilicity save more than a lot of money. I'm in favour of bilingualism but it does drive up the cost of living in Quebec and Canada.

Dr.Dave 2010-04-05 11:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I read somewhere that Videotron paid more for the Quebec spectrum than Wind paid for the rest of Canada. I have no idea how much Wind actually bid for Montreal and Quebec City and how that compared with similar cities across Canada.

TorontoColin 2010-04-05 05:04 PM

Wind actually offers service in either language. I've used their French language service when I need to do something simple but don't want to wait on hold forever (there's never a line for French operators). Unfortunately my French isn't good enough for anything complicated.

outinthornhill 2010-04-06 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoColin (Post 1086197)
Wind actually offers service in either language. I've used their French language service when I need to do something simple but don't want to wait on hold forever (there's never a line for French operators). Unfortunately my French isn't good enough for anything complicated.

That surprises me a bit given there is no option to view the website in French. Are you saying they have the "press 2 for serivce in French" option on the phone system? Maybe with the Ottawa Launch they need that. However, having a few French speaking CSRs available is a long way from having blingual legal documents, manuals, packaging, advertising, etc. Still I give them credit for trying.

Francois Caron 2010-04-06 08:11 AM

It's because of Vidéotron's ridiculously high bid that now we'll never get decent cell phone service at a decent price in "la belle province." Ever. Add the latest Quebec budget into the mix, and the idea of moving out of the province, possibly out of the country, is looking more attractive each passing day.

TorontoColin 2010-04-06 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outinthornhill (Post 1086361)
That surprises me a bit given there is no option to view the website in French. Are you saying they have the "press 2 for serivce in French" option on the phone system? Maybe with the Ottawa Launch they need that. However, having a few French speaking CSRs available is a long way from having blingual legal documents, manuals, packaging, advertising, etc. Still I give them credit for trying.

Yup. I don't know how robust their French staff is, but they're definitely there and have been since before the Ottawa launch.

When I get home I'll check and see if the packaging and manuals came in French; I thought they had to by Canadian law...

One thing confuses me, probably because I wasn't paying much attention during the original bidding process. If Videotron has the equivalent spectrum to Wind in Quebec (meaning they won the Quebec chunk of the same pie Wind won the rest of) then who has the Quebec equivalent of Mobilicity's spectrum? How come two carriers (Mobilicity and Wind) won spectrum and can launch on AWS in Toronto, but only Videotron in Montreal (or am I confused and Mobilicity is launching in Montreal)?

robsaw 2010-04-06 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoColin (Post 1086442)
One thing confuses me, probably because I wasn't paying much attention during the original bidding process. If Videotron has the equivalent spectrum to Wind in Quebec (meaning they won the Quebec chunk of the same pie Wind won the rest of) then who has the Quebec equivalent of Mobilicity's spectrum? How come two carriers (Mobilicity and Wind) won spectrum and can launch on AWS in Toronto, but only Videotron in Montreal (or am I confused and Mobilicity is launching in Montreal)?

It was an auction, so depending upon the strategy and interests of various bidders, some participants didn't win spectrum in one market (block) or the other. The auction only guaranteed that at least one new participant had a good shot at gaining spectrum in every area it didn't guarantee that all new entrants had a shot at every area.

You can see the AWS spectrum results here:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf09004.html

9193-2962 Québec Inc. is Videotron
1380057 Alberta Ltd. is Shaw
6934242 Canada Ltd.is MTS
6934579 Canada Inc. is a venture partnership (M/C Ventures)

Dr.Dave 2010-04-06 02:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My understanding is that there were several auctions in each city for portions of the AWS spectrum. Windmobile, Mobilicity and Shaw in the west bid on enough spectrum to run their business. Videotron bid to lock everyone else out.

TorontoColin 2010-04-07 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsaw (Post 1086516)
You can see the AWS spectrum results here:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf09004.html

9193-2962 Québec Inc. is Videotron
1380057 Alberta Ltd. is Shaw
6934242 Canada Ltd.is MTS
6934579 Canada Inc. is a venture partnership (M/C Ventures)

So if I'm reading this correctly Videotron has enough spectrum to run two networks in certain areas of Quebec? They also hold spectrum in Toronto? In that case it seems obvious that Videotron intentionally blocked other entrants from Quebec.

robsaw 2010-04-08 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoColin (Post 1087141)
So if I'm reading this correctly Videotron has enough spectrum to run two networks in certain areas of Quebec? They also hold spectrum in Toronto? In that case it seems obvious that Videotron intentionally blocked other entrants from Quebec.

You could assume they bid to block other entrants although the extra bandwidth does allow them to potentially build out their network with fewer constraints on re-use of frequencies between groups of cells. It also allows for use of the spectrum for enhanced HSPA services (DC-HSPA; Dual Carrier HSPA) or whatever evolves in upcoming standards. Of course, they could also sell the spectrum once they get established and presumably have a head start on competitors.

Dr.Dave 2010-04-08 11:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the link robsaw. I made my previous post before I saw yours. Here's some analysis:
Code:

Service Area              Population TotalMHz Total Amount

Videotron Montréal        3,784,570      10    $96,600,000
Videotron Toronto        5,635,827      10    $96,400,000
Videotron Total Quebec                        $458,149,000
Wind(including N. Quebec)                    $442,099,000

So if I understand this correctly, Videotron paid as much for Montreal as they did for Toronto, even though Montreal has a much smaller population. And Videotron paid more for Quebec (excluding what it paid for Toronto), as Wind did in total (including what it paid for Northern Quebec). Interesting that Videotron let Wind have some spectrum in Northern Quebec, knowing that they can't effectively use it without a presence in the rest of the province.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome