Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   MTS (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/193-mts/)
-   -   MTS PVR Delay (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/193-mts/120715-mts-pvr-delay.html)

donovanfromwpg 2010-02-11 01:22 PM

MTS PVR Delay

Hello;

Has anyone experienced significant problems with watching a show through the PVR?

This has happened twice this week. The first was the Super Bowl. I set it to record and began watching about 90 minutes after it had started, so I was watching while it was still recording. This enabled me to skip some of slow spots during the broadcast. I had significant freezing and stuttering of the picture, almost to the point of it being unwatchable.

The second time happened last night, while I watched a program that had already been recorded, although not as bad as the Super Bowl.

These were both HD programs, and it was on the TV that did not have the PVR set-top box. The TV is hooked up via HDMI.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Donovan

SomeRandomGuy 2010-02-11 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donovanfromwpg (Post 1061026)
Hello;

Has anyone experienced significant problems with watching a show through the PVR?

This has happened twice this week. The first was the Super Bowl. I set it to record and began watching about 90 minutes after it had started, so I was watching while it was still recording. This enabled me to skip some of slow spots during the broadcast. I had significant freezing and stuttering of the picture, almost to the point of it being unwatchable.

The second time happened last night, while I watched a program that had already been recorded, although not as bad as the Super Bowl.

These were both HD programs, and it was on the TV that did not have the PVR set-top box. The TV is hooked up via HDMI.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Donovan

Yes I had the same problem. They came out and changed some connectors, I thought it was fixed but the problem appears to be back again.

The stuttering only happened after skipping forward in a show on a non-pvr

You should call MTS to let them know so they can look into the problem

Vader 2010-02-12 01:53 PM

had some of the same problem when I used the skip forward functionality on one of the non-pvr boxes.... found that if you use the rewind and fast forward buttons that does not seem to happen....

CoryB 2010-02-12 03:54 PM

I am also having this problem when playing back either SD or HD content that has been recorded on the non-pvr set.

It seems to be a bandwidth/buffering problem. At one point durring playback last night it actually said that the setup box had lost its network connection.

Pausing for a few seconds then resuming seems to solve the issue temporarily. I am fairly sure this is due to a wiring issue as both my PVR and non-PVR box were put on the existing coxial cable instead of having the PVR on CAT5e.

Macman 2010-02-12 11:31 PM

The installers are NOT supposed to be using coax to the PVR. Lazy a**es! There's only some situations where it's an absolute last resort if cat5e can't be ran. I've only done it once AND only after talking to one of the quality control techs at MTS. This was in a house that was almost new, so the coax was RG6 and 99% perfect.

The PVR probably demands a lot of bandwidth when sending recorded content to the non-PVR boxes, that's probably why they want cat5e.

donovanfromwpg 2010-02-22 03:31 PM

Update

I talked to MTS today, and was informed that the problem has to do with a recently installed update to the software. They are aware of it, but have yet to implement a solution.

They also offered some 'work-arounds';

1) Do not pause, fast-forward, or rewind any recorded programs as you are watching them on the non-pvr television.
2) Watch your recorded shows on the TV that is hooked directly to the PVR.

CoryB 2010-02-22 05:50 PM

Got the the breaking point with my current setup and the constant stuttering and freezing when attempting to playback content and broke down and improvised a solution.

What I did was to purchase a Cat6 (Cat5e would do too) patch cable to connect the non-pvr STB to the 2wire gateway. This made the recorded content section disappear completely from the stb as the pvr was still connected by coxial cable. I then used a second patch cable I had that was being used for a wired network drop to hook up the pvr directly to the 2wire by CAT6 cable.

End result? Perfect PVR playback regardless of which stb I use or the type of content (SD and HD).

Clipse 2010-02-22 08:55 PM

***Watch the recording from the pvr tv****

Does that not basically defeat the purpose of whole home pvr?

donovanfromwpg 2010-02-23 10:50 AM

I agree whole-heartedly. They had better get this fixed, and fast.

CoryB 2010-02-23 11:00 AM

Based on my own experience and experiments this issues is likely related to the use of your pre-existing wiring and splitters. This would suggest that upgrading or replacing those components will solve the issue. Now it is time for MTS to setup and do something about this issue.

davidb1 2010-02-24 05:24 AM

I spoke with MTS and they said that they're aware of an issue that can cause recordings to freeze/pixelate when playing back an HD recording on one of the non-PVR boxes. Apparently the problem doesn't happen if you watch it on the PVR directly or if you don't use the fast forward/rewind and just let it play back normally. Apparently it doesn't affect SD recordings, although I only record HD! They couldn't say when exactly it would be fixed, other then their advanced guys are aware of it and trying to get it resolved as soon as possible.

TST4788 2010-03-07 12:05 PM

I have had MTS out twice to look at the PVR freezing on playback issue. It not only happens on the HD but the SD channels as well.

They 1st said that it was the initial install not being done correctly but after some minor changes and a couple of hours later, the freezing was back.

On attempt # 2, they told me that it was the quality of the coax going to each secondary box. I have a house built less than 7 yrs ago. Are they telling me that any house that is older than that in Winnipeg will have the same issues? I posed that question and they said that it is very rare for homes to have this freezing issue. BS

I asked if MTS users at my work had this issue and witin 1 hour of posting the question, I had no less than 11 responses. MTS tied to say that it may be a local issue. Of the 11, I am the only one living in my neighborhood. BS again.

Just by luck, the built in wall unit that houses one of the secondary units had a previous Cat5 cable going to it. They switched the connection to that unit and ever since, I have not had any isues.

I guess brings up another question: Is anybody having playback issues on the secondary receivers that have Cat5's going to them?

timmaywpg 2010-03-10 03:45 PM

I haven't experienced freezing, however I've noticed that once in a while I get quick glitches on a PVR'd show. My audio keeps going, however the screen goes black for about half a second, I havn't noticed it lately but I will definitely be keeping track of it when it starts happening again.

It'd be interesting to note down the following:
X SD or HD show?
X If you rewind, does the skipping/freezing happen at the same point in the show

FYI I have a 1 year old house, CAT5E directly from the phone line to my Gateway, then CAT5 direct to the HD box. No other boxes hooked up.

david754 2010-03-13 09:27 PM

I heard about the freezing. I too, have only 1 receiver on Cat5e, and haven't experienced it. Apparently if ANY of the boxes are using COAX ("HPNA" technology), then any of them might have freezing issues for PVR'd content. I'm sure they would be looking into it as a priority of theirs, since lots of people have complained.

CoryB 2010-03-30 01:05 PM

Just a quick update, I have both the PVR and non-PVR on coxial again and experience the shuttering and poor playback with recorded content even when using the fast foward instead of skip.

Here is a quick summary of my test results:

Best - PVR (CAT5), non-PVR (CAT5) - no issues
Acceptable - PVR (CAT5), non-PVR (coxial) - cannot skip, however fast forward works
Not recommended - PVR (coxial), non-PVR (coxial) - even fast forward will cause issues, however pure playback works okay.