Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - Reply to Topic
Thread: Resident Evil:Extinction BD and PowerDVD Ultra Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
2008-01-08 03:17 PM
BHoward Sorry rfielder ... I was just curious how you can play ISO's in 3516 when no one else can, so I have a few question how you do it ... I am sure others will want to know.

1) What program do you use to rip the ISO image (ie IMGBURN or ISOBUSTER, etc)?

2) Are you using AnyDVD HD?

3) If you are using AnyDVD HD, is it loaded when you do the rip to ISO?

4) What tool are you using to mount the ISO image (ie Deamon tools)?

As to what you are freezing, I gave a suggestion earlier that it could be because of this disk being a profile 1.1 BluRay title.
2008-01-08 12:54 PM
rfielder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoward View Post
Because of comments from users/admin at Slysoft, users on AVSForums and my own personally experience. (Mod's Please forgive me for this link but I believe it is a very important issue for HTPC'er)
Again, sorry, but you seem to be ignoring the content of my messages.

I am using .3516 to watch both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies without issue. The movies are as per the first post in this discussion.

My install is the full version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoward View Post
Version 7.3.3516 will not allow the playing of ISO's at all.
That is just not how it works at home, on either PC. I have the OEM version of PowerDVD Ultra on one PC, and the purchased version on another PC. One PC has a Visiontek HD2600 Pro AGP card, and the other has a Visiontek HD2600 XP AGP card. One has a Samsung 17" LCD monitor attached via DVI, and the other has a Samsung LN-T4061F TV attached via DVI to HDMI cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoward View Post
Have fun with the latest build of PDVDU. Sooner or later we will have to upgrade to the lastest version for Profile 1.1 or 2.0 or a key change.
I have the latest installed.

Seems like you are keeping this going around in a circle. You say it does not work. I tell you that it works fine for me. You then repeat that it does not work. Somehow, you seem to be ignoring the facts of my setup, in preference for what you are hearing from others.

That is a dead end argument. There seems to be no point in discussing this further with you. I can't speak for any of the others you quote, but .3516 works fine for me.

I will just go home and continue to watch movies: Harry Potter 1, 2, and 3 were nice in HD-DVD, and PoTC3 was very good. RE:Extinction is awesome in hidef, although it is choppy and hangs - but it is the only movie I have an issue with. War was an OK movie, but played fine.

I also tried using PowerDVD Ultra with standard DVDs, but find my Intervideo (Corel) applications to be more compatible with my ATI Remote Wonder - at least with Intervideo HT2, fast forword gives fast forward, not channel skip.

Since you are unwilling to assist with the issue I started this discussion about, let's just drop it.
2008-01-07 08:44 PM
BHoward
Quote:
Sorry, but how did you come to the conclusion that one can not watch iso files?
Because of comments from users/admin at Slysoft, users on AVSForums and my own personally experience. (Mod's Please forgive me for this link but I believe it is a very important issue for HTPC'er)


Version 7.3.3319a allowed playing of ISO for all BluRay and HD DVD.

Version 7.3.3319f will not allow the playing of ISO which have BD+

Version 7.3.3516 will not allow the playing of ISO's at all.

Some people have been trying to work around this by copying different parts to 3516 such as described above.

Have fun with the latest build of PDVDU. Sooner or later we will have to upgrade to the lastest version for Profile 1.1 or 2.0 or a key change.
2008-01-07 12:50 PM
rfielder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoward View Post
Your ISO movies will not play with the Lastest and Greatest version.

I will test mine for CPU usage
Sorry, but how did you come to the conclusion that one can not watch iso files?

I have been watching HD-DVD and BD movies from ISO using PowerDVD Ultra, latest version as downloaded yesterday morning. No restrictions, no issues, except for the one movie I asked about at the start of this discussion. The only reason I purchased the full version, instead of continuing to use the OEM version that came with the LG drive, was to make Extinction play better, and that did not help.

CPU usage is not an issue on my system - it is high, but never maxed out. Temp does rise, but is never critical.

RAM is not an issue - very seldom does the system commit reach 1Gb, and there are 2Gb installed.

Throughput is not an issue - 7200rpm SATA local, and similar drive on another computer through a gigabit netword. Tried with iso file of Extinction on both, and both skip in exactly the same places, and hang in exactly the same places.

If any of these were issues, other movies would behave the same way. That does not happen. Watched two movies last night, back to back, continuous run, and no issues at all.

Since nobody has responded directly to my original quote, I have to assume that nobody else who has watched this moving from an HTPC has encountered similar issues - it worked OK for you.
2008-01-06 09:38 PM
BHoward This might be the problem .... from the other forums

Quote:
UPDATE: Think I found my answer. This article from HighDefDigest states that RE:3 is Sony's first Blu-Ray Profile 1.1 release. Obviously that's the key. Since it incorporates two video streams (the main feature film and the syncronized commentary stream), my guess is that my video card is only decoding the main stream, leaving the CPU to decode the secondary stream. This would make sense, since almost every chapter gives me a few seconds of good playback, then starts to stutter. This would be in line with starting the scene, letting the viewer get into it, then starting the commentary "In this scene we kill more zombies..."

So. The need for the profile 1.1 patch for PowerDVD just became critical with these new releases coming out. Those of you with more powerful processors should be okay, but those of us who live and die by hardware acceleration might be in for a rough ride.
2008-01-06 05:53 PM
BHoward
Quote:
PowerDVD Ultra is the latest and greatest version - just purchased it this morning,
Quote:
I am ripping the movie using imgburn, and loading the ISO file using Daemon Tools. This works perfectly for all other movies I have so far, includeing PoTC3.
Your ISO movies will not play with the Lastest and Greatest version.

I will test mine for CPU usage
2008-01-05 10:33 PM
rfielder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoward View Post
The last version that permitted hard drive play was 3319a. Starting with 3319f, more and more restrictions have been placed on ISO playback.
Sorry, not sure how the comment above relates to my issue.

All movies play fine, except Extinction. It plays, but is jerky, and hangs in a couple of places.
2008-01-05 10:17 PM
BHoward The last version that permitted hard drive play was 3319a. Starting with 3319f, more and more restrictions have been placed on ISO playback.
2008-01-05 02:21 PM
jvincent Have you actually tried playing it from the disc directly?

I have read elsewhere that there is an issue with playing rips for some movies (can't remember which ones) that work fine when the actual optical disc is used.
2008-01-05 02:16 PM
rfielder
Resident Evil:Extinction BD and PowerDVD Ultra

Not exactly sure which forum this belongs in, but since it involves playback on an HTPC, I will try this one. MODS: if you move it, please let me know where you move it to!

I am having a major problem playing Resident Evil:Extinction (Blu-Ray) on my HTPC. It is choppy in many parts, and the transition to episode 7 always hangs PowerDVD Ultra (PDU).

If I start at episode 7, it will keep playing, but that was just discovered this morning. Have not watched the rest yet to see if it will play to the end.

My HTPC has:
XP SP2
P4 3.0Ghz
ASUS P5P800 motherboard
2Gb ram
Visiontek HD2600XT AGP video
LG GGC-H20L optical drive (BD and HD compatible)
550W Corsair power supply

Audio output is via S/PDIF to a 5.1 receiver. Video output is via HDMI cable to a Saumsung LN-T4061F TV.

PowerDVD Ultra is the latest and greatest version - just purchased it this morning, since the OEM version that came with the LG drive could not be upgraded to the latest version. That did not solve the problem.

I am ripping the movie using imgburn, and loading the ISO file using Daemon Tools. This works perfectly for all other movies I have so far, includeing PoTC3.

I have tried turning off anything that might cause extra activities in PowerDVD Ultra - no tooltips, no accessing the internet, etc.

Perhaps because Extinction is the first BD 1.1 movie?

Anyone else viewing this movie on a HTPC? If so, is it working OK for you?

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome