|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|2013-08-06 08:16 PM|
Thanks Nineball. You may likely be correct but I can ping my newer Sony player no problem so I never considered that what you suggest would be the case. First time I have encountered not being able to ping a properly set up device as that used to be one of the first steps when I was a field tech facing network TCP/IP problems.
Anyway the unit works so I'm not going to worry about this little anomaly.
|2013-08-06 11:37 AM|
|NineBall||There's probably nothing screwy at all and the manufacturer has simply disabled ICMP echo (ping reply). Some might see that as a security feature.|
|2013-08-06 08:36 AM|
It's not an AP problem. Even hooked up at the main router the same problem exists. I'm going to conclude it's just something screwy with the player and not worry about it too much. Perhaps next firmware update (if there ever is one) will fix this "problem". Works fine in every other respect.
(Sorry Bplayer, just saw your reply as I posted this. I have pretty much concluded the same thing but it's great to have confirmation!)
|2013-08-06 08:35 AM|
|Bplayer||I have the same router (but running Tomato) and same BDP-S360. Network test from the player works fine but it does not respond to either ping or tracert. I think it has very limited ip smarts. It's not you.|
|2013-08-05 07:21 PM|
Blu-Ray connects to internet but can't ping
Throwing this out there to see if any gurus have any idea what is going on.
I installed dd-wrt on a Linksys WRT54G and set it up as an access point. Ran one lan cable to the main router (not from WAN port) and have three devices plugged into the remaining ports. TV, Receiver and a Sony BDP-S360.
The TV connects to the internet just fine and I can ping the TV and the receiver without problem which suggests the access point is doing it's job
If I set up the Blu-ray either for auto acquisition or set a static ip, the Blu-ray passes the network diagnostic test and also verifies my firmware version as being up to date if I try to update it suggesting that it is seeing the internet just fine.
But I can't ping it (either set up static or auto acquisition) although trace-route works just fine. Has me stumped...