Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread
View Single Post
post #41 of (permalink) Old 2009-09-19, 11:06 AM
LMGVictoria
Rookie

Shaw disconnected unrented bsmt suite

I posted this elsewhere on wrong thread so figured I'd post it here too:

We bought our house a year ago. It has a basement suite. We had our daughter move into the basement and we had Shaw split the cable so she would have her own bill to pay. In June she moved out so we turned the basement suite into a media room. Purchased $8,500 worth of media equipment and had a shaw cable tech come in and hook up 4 outlets in the house as we get 4 free outlets with our service. 2 outlets in the basement suite and 2 upstairs. I explained to the tech at the time that the girls were moving out (our daughter and her roommate) within 2 weeks and that we were not renting the suite. They were welcome to come by from time to time to check and make sure were weren't renting. He said fine. On Thurs morning my husband was watching the big TV downstairs and all of a sudden the cable went out. I had seen a Shaw van in the area. I called Shaw the next day as we could not get it working again and they said from time to time they "audit" and then disconnect cable in suites. They do this as many people with suites are getting free cable for their renters. I explained to her what I had explained to the tech and she kept saying "you have to understand that there are many people with suites and renters not paying for their cable". Nothing I said would convince her we were not stealing the cable. She said she could have another tech come out next week but she could not guarantee another would not come along and disconnect the cable. Our Shaw connection is on the outside of the house. Is it possible to move it inside? I am quite angry that their techs have the right to come on our property and disconnect our cable without even asking us first. We were home at the time. Another option I have is to reconnect our star choice but we live in a very nice area and I don't want the dish hanging off the side of the house. I also don't know if our house is "wired" to have a dish. Plus we've purchased Shaw 3 cable boxes, 2 HD boxes (1 records) and these were expensive.

I hope someone has some good suggestions. On Monday morning I am going to call the suites department at Shaw. I did talk to a second CSR at Shaw on Friday and she apologized a lot and told me to call the suites department. The first lady was not helpful at all. Basically accused me of stealing cable. I had asked the first CSR to have a supervisor call me. She said she would and I am still waiting for that call.

Thanks!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome