No Dialog for Random Commercials - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-12-03, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

No Dialog for Random Commercials

I swapped out my Denon AVR-E200 for a new (new to me) Yamaha RX-V477 AVR that I just setup with the YPAO microphone for the first time. Everything sounds great and balanced. All cables are connected as they were with the Denon. Audio for TV shows and commercials work fine except...

The odd commercial has no dialog at all. I hear the music, but no talking. It's almost like for some commercials, there is no centre channel signal. Otherwise, the centre channel dialog is working fine with other content.

I won't lose sleep over this issue until it happens during a show we want to watch - then it's on me to fix.

The signal is coming from a Rogers 9865 connected via HDMI to the Sony TV.

Anyone have an idea what is happening here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-12-03, 02:55 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
You could be receiving a signal that has improperly encoded DD5.1, or your centre channel is not actually working - I assume you've gone up to the speaker and heard dialogue for the "good" programming. Also, you need to ensure that the Yamaha is set to the correct decoder - usually DPLII for DD2.0 programming and DD5.1 for DD5.1 programming. If the display doesn't show the incoming signal, usually pressing info or going into the user settings shows the incoming signal. Here'a an FAQ on DD5.1 - see notes 1, 4, etc.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-...e-dd5-1-a.html

You say "The signal is coming from a Rogers 9865 connected via HDMI to the Sony TV." You should be connected from the 9865 to the AVR, then to the TV.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-12-03, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You should be connected from the 9865 to the AVR, then to the TV.
I used to have it connected that way 57. But I needed to be able to put the game on screen and listen to music simultaneously, so I changed it.

I'll have a look through the notes - thank you!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-12-03, 03:10 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
When I had a previous flagship Yamaha AVR it used to allow you to have a video input (say TV) connected, switch to an audio input (say Tape), then the audio would come from the audio input and the video would continue to the TV. I'm not sure if that's an option any more.

Perhaps you could try connecting using HDMI to AVR, then TV temporarily to see if the problem persists. If the problem goes away, it may be an internal setting in the TV, sending say PCM or another "incorrect" signal instead of passing the DD5.1 through...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-12-03, 04:06 PM

I have an older Yamaha with an LG TV that exhibits a similar problem.
The SHAW box cannot go through the Yamaha because the sound for YouTube, etc. must come from the TV,
so I use optical from the TV to the Yamaha.
Occasionally the center channel would drop out, typically on recordings, during switches from commercials to program.
All that could be heard was surround sound until I backed up and replayed the section where the switch occurred.
This usually brought back center channel.
Although my problem is with the sound, where exactly is it originating: SHAW box signal, TV optical output, or Yamaha input?
Try changing cable box sound output method on your system, Dolby/Stereo/PCM, to see what works.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-12-08, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

After connecting the PVR directly to the AVR via HDMI several days ago, I have yet to hear the issue return.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in