Which Receiver? Cambridge or NAD? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-09-04, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Cool Which Receiver? Cambridge or NAD?

Hi Folks,

I haven't bought a receiver for a long time, but am in the market now.

I watch movies on cable, Netflix and Prime, seldom or ever on Blu-Ray or DVD.

I listen to music - CDs preferred but would like to put my CD collection digital for streaming to receiver.

I run a 5.1 surround for movies and TV, would like to run a stereo pair on my home office wirelessly.

Have been disappointed with other receivers I’ve owned - they don’t have the refinement to match my Def Tech Mythos STS and centre channel speaker.

Which receiver?

Cambridge CXR 120 on for $1199

NAD T758 V3 for $1699

There are lots of other choices around but most would require me to persuade my wife to part with the furniture we're using for my components. A bridge too far.

Thoughts?

---------------------
Ricketty Rabbit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-09-04, 09:25 PM
Veteran

Both are impressive receivers with very similar specs. I don't have any experience with either brand but both are well respected. Between the two, I would choose the Cambridge CXR 120 due to it's support for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. The NAD T758 V3 only mentions HDMI 1.4 and the specs are MIA for the video section. The Cambridge CXR 120 is $500 cheaper as well.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-09-04, 10:12 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
That's the part that concerns me about these boutique brands. They often are slow to bring in the latest video technology and often there are issues with HDMI capability, compatibility, updates, etc.

I'm sure that the audio section is impressive, however, if you're using these as part of a home theatre that incorporates HDMI switching and usage, then you may wish to consider a brand that is not as "boutique".

You may even wish to consider a pre-amp that handles all the switching and a separate amp for the best audio quality.

I've been running a flagship Denon AVR for almost 10 years.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-09-05, 11:22 AM
Veteran

I forgot to mention that the NAD T758 V3 has been discontinued and is no longer sold by NAD. The unit available is probably old stock. Under those circumstances, it should be on sale at half price.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input.

I bought the Cambridge CXR-120. It has the connectivity I need, has great sound quality, and plays lossless formats from Tidal, Spotify, Apple, etc. sounding very good.

I A/B'd the lossless formats from Tidal, Spotify and Apple (playing the music wirelessly over Plex from my computer to the receiver) and found the Apple format music on my phone streamed wirelessly (not bluetooth) sounds slightly better than the other 2. Careful A/B listening to Apple vs CD shows a small amount of variation. I have ripped many CDs to Apple format, and the ripped AACs sound different, but hard to say "worse" than the CDs. There seems to be a fall off in the higher frequencies, but at my age that's probably not audible. I detect a little more fullness in vocals, with a small loss of sibilance. Overall, I'm pretty impressed.

The Cambridge sounded better to me than the Yamaha RX-A880 I used as a comparison, and cost about the same. Of course, the Yamaha has a lot more home theatre specific gear and capabilities, and I'd have gone with it if home theatre was a higher priority for me. But since I didn't need them, I'm happy with the Cambridge. I found that sound quality isn't quite as noticeable while watching a movie than when listening only.

It's really apparent that how one uses the equipment, and what one's priorities are, is very important in making A/V equipment choices.

---------------------
Ricketty Rabbit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in