Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MTS Advanced HDTV Now Available in Winnipeg

52K views 283 replies 46 participants last post by  donovanfromwpg 
#1 ·
MTS Allstream Launches Most Advanced TV Experience in Canada

Next Generation MTS HDTV combines technology from Alcatel-Lucent Canada and Microsoft Mediaroom

WINNIPEG, MB, March 31, 2009 - Today, MTS Allstream Inc. ("MTS Allstream") launches MTS HDTV - the most advanced television experience in Canada - to residents in Winnipeg. MTS HDTV is the next generation of high definition television ("HDTV"), personal video recorder ("PVR"), improved guide features and other TV advancements. MTS Allstream is the first company in Canada to launch a digital television service that includes combined technology from Alcatel-Lucent Canada Inc. ("Alcatel-Lucent") and the award-winning Microsoft Mediaroom Internet Protocol television ("IPTV") software platform.

"We are thrilled to bring the most advanced TV experience in Canada to Winnipeg residents and to share the next generation of TV with our customers," said Kelvin Shepherd, President Consumer Markets, MTS Allstream. "We are proud that we have built an innovative product like no other in the country with industry leaders Alcatel-Lucent and Microsoft, and we look forward to providing our customers with Canada's number one TV entertainment experience."

"We are pleased to be working with one of Canada's leading communications companies to launch MTS HDTV," said Christine Heckart, general manager of marketing for the TV, Video and Music Business at Microsoft Corp. "With Microsoft Mediaroom, MTS HDTV gives Winnipeg residents access to a high-quality and feature-rich digital TV experience that provides a new level of control over when and what they watch."

"MTS TV has been a tremendous success, and we are pleased to work with MTS to bring an advanced version of this innovative product to residents in Winnipeg," said Alex Giosa, President, Alcatel-Lucent
Canada. "As the world leader in both IPTV and broadband deployment, we look forward to bringing technologically advanced information and communications to customers."

Customers taking advantage of the new MTS HDTV can expect the same high standard of service that they have come to expect, with the added benefit of exciting new capabilities today, and more to come in the future. Along with an extensive lineup of over 250 digital TV and music channels and features like video on demand, the new services include 30 HDTV channels, with more channels to come in 2009; a PVR, which enables customers to control how and when programming is enjoyed; fast and reliable Internet service; and an interactive program guide with built-in picture-in-picture.

MTS HDTV is currently available to limited areas in Winnipeg, with more areas and features becoming available throughout 2009. Customers have the opportunity to maximize their bundle discount by signing up for all of their communications needs with MTS - wireless, high-speed Internet and, now, MTS HDTV.
[/url].

See less See more
#88 ·
Not sure about MTS but I know Shaw in Wpg doesn't simsub the high definition U.S. networks. From what I understand, there would have to be a local station (CKND, CKY Winnipeg) requesting it and they would have to be able to provide their signal in high definition, of which they currently don't offer.

#97 ·
not in westwood yet...here's the response i got:

Thank you for your interest in our HDTV product.

MTS is continually rolling out newly eligible HDTV areas in Winnipeg.
The date for your area has not yet been finalized.

If you opted to be notified when the service is available in your
area, you will receive a communication from us at that time.

MTS TV continues to offer you over 25 different channel package
options and 250+ channels to choose from, with digital picture and
sound on every channel. Get more of what you want, and less of what
you don't, with added features such as TV Call Display, MTS TV on
Demand, Video on Demand and a parental lock-out feature for channels
and/or content such as offensive language or violence.

We appreciate your business, and look forward to providing you with
our HDTV product soon.

#98 ·
About the internet...

I thought I heard that the internet is variable speed. As in, if you turn off your tv's, the bandwidth from those streams are shifted over to your internet, and that it could supposedly reach 25 Mbps?

This may have been from a website with generic VDSL2 info, not specifically MTS. :confused:

I'm excited to see if there will be any speed difference between the old system and the new one. I don't download music or movies (better things to do with my time) its just nice to have the speed.

#99 ·
with respect to internet speed, it doesn't appear that MTS is offering a variable plan at this point (not to say we won't see one in the future). I have the 15Mb DSL service at home with my HDTV service. I rans some DSLreport tests back a couple weeks ago and found that I consistently get between 14-15Mb down and between 1- 1.5Mb up even with all my TV's on (2 on HD, and 1 on SD). so there must be more that enough bandwidth on the line right now.

I agree it would be cool if I could get 25Mb if I shut off a TV, heck I woudl pay a few more dollars a month for something like that.

#100 ·
14-15 is decent. i've done a bunch of speed tests on different people's computers and at most have seen 9 Mbps Down & 1.5 Mbps Up. Haven't seen the new HDTV service in person yet.

#101 ·
Hi Folks

After being told at the end of March that I could not be hooked up until late in the fall I was surprised to get a call 2 weeks ago from a CSR saying they could do me right away.

I have had enhanced HD for 2 weeks now. 30 very usable channels to watch. Excellent quality, no sound nor picture drop outs yet. PVR is working very well. I like the guide but am a little disappointed in its response time. After pushing a button it may or may not respond. When it does, channel changing is rapid. Frustratingly it sometimes takes several pushes to get things moving. Another annoying glitch is that unlike *Choice there is not a "native resolution" immediately available. As a result you must manually select "full" in order to remove the black bars on the side. I like looking at a 4-3 screen for older shows but am very concerned with burn-in on my plasma so we are aware of the need to "stretch" the screen.

First 2 weeks have gone very well. I am glad I made the switch back from *Choice.

#104 ·
Service is now available in East K. Hopped into the MTS Connect store at lunch today, and they're coming Monday to hook us up. That's pretty fast!

Can anyone who's had Star Choice and now MTS comment on the HD quality difference between the two? As well as the quality difference between a live HD signal vs the PVS HD recorded quality.

As well, on another board, I came across someone who said that HDMI and optical audio out will not work in conjunction with each other. Well, they do kinda, but you can get only get stereo sound out of it. And that optical 5.1 works only with component out, not HDMI. The guy at the store seems to think there was a firmware patch to fix this. Does anyone know for sure?

#106 ·
^^ Thanks, Dr. Dave. :D

Whatever the answers are to my other two questions, I'm still pretty excited to check MTS HDTV out. On the other hand, I think Star Choice is considered to be pretty decent quality-wise, and I would say it is, so I'm a little nervous at the same time.

Anyone have any tips on suspending my Star Choice account while I test out MTS? Should I cancel my Star Choice account outright, or just suspend it for a while?

#108 ·
SomeRandomGuy, that's not exactly what I read the problem to be. It's actually the optical audio cable that won't work inconjuction with the HDMI cable, for 5.1 sound. For whatever reason, or so I read in one post somewhere else, the optical cable provides only stereo sound when used with an HDMI cable. Again, I don't know this to be the case. If anyone here who has the PVR and uses an optical cable for audio, it'd be great if you could verify this for me. Otherwise, I'll find out for myself on Monday!

I'll also post my thoughts on what I think about the HD picture quality compared to Star Choice.

#109 ·
I personally use the optical cable because my audio reciever has no HDMI - I have an HDMI going from the STB to the TV, and the Optical going from the STB to my Audio Receiver. I get 5.1 on all HD channels.

As to what the exact problem is with the HDMI, I only heard there was a problem with it not getting 5.1 but a fix was coming, but regardless it would not be a problem for me unless I upgraded my Audio receiver

#111 ·
I haven't had Star Choice for years, actually I only got HD when I got the new MTStv - I have been with MTS since almost the beginning of them launching TV, and I was not interested in the HD package on the old network.

While I can not compare the HD services, I can say I am totally impressed with the HD channels and the quality that I am getting. a comparison of SD from old MTStv to New MTStv is night and day with the new service having a superior SD channel quality as well as the amazing HD quality.

#116 ·
The install is finished and it's spectacular.
I didn't ask the tech any questions about future service, I was just too happy to finally get connected.
And the guide is incredible. It's great to have PIP.
I've only had it a couple of hours but so far I love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.