Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Telus High Speed Internet - Rate Protection Plan

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  heypeterman 
#1 ·
Wow... do I feel silly.
I am locked in on a 3 year Telus Internet Term, I have 3 months left and have been paying 34.95/mos (which originally incuded a "free" modem and "free" 19 inch LCD monitor and up to 3 Mbps).
Long story short I just found out that this rate is higher than the current High Speed Extreme of "up to 6 Mbps" so even if my location couldn't get those speeds I should just be paying for the regular service for 25.95/mos and I could have done that 9 months ago.
I guess the rason I am posting this is to inform any other "protection plan" subscribers with less than one year left on their term could reduce their payments.
The other reason relates to the phrase "misery loves company" and right now I feel like the only fool at 1.2 Mbps paying at an extreme cost.:confused:

#2 ·
Call Telus to see if you can get the 6Mbps plan(many areas have been upgraded with no advertising to current users) for the same price as now.
If you have been a long term user, then they are nice that way. Customer loyalty bonus as it can be called.
Your quoted speed seems slow, unless you are at the end of the DSL loop(have Telus check it out)... The 1.5Mbps plan is being phased out and the 3Mbps plan is the new middle tier..

Your 3 year term contract actually pays for that 'bonus' monitor, Minus a few bucks rebate on the actual cost of it.
I am 15 months in to a 3 year term and I just upgraded to the current 6Mbps plan(6Mbps new in this town) at the same price as we had for the 3Mbps plan. You just can't down grade your service to a 'lower price'. We also got a Lenovo computer with the three year original term. So the price we pay, pays back some of the cost of the computer 'bonus'.

Heres the link to your $25.95 option of 3Mbps(For one year to 'new' users. Or loyalty users..Then $30.95 after one year.)...
http://www.telus.com/portalWeb/port...onthly_Enhanced_Offer/&lang=EN&region=BC&pre=

Telus plans and pricing. (Just set your province(BC)).
http://www.telus.com/portalWeb/inli...mpare/High_Speed_Plans_and_Prices/?_region=BC

#3 ·
You need to call TELUS and talk to a serv rep, No one will be able to answer that question better than a simple call to TELUS to ask them for the new pricing plan and faster internet.

It really should be no big deal, I'm not sure why you would post the question here before talking to TELUS

#4 ·
dscott01... I did talk to Telus.
I cannot get extreme 6 Mbps in my area which would have brought my bill down to 30.95. So I am stuck at the standard option that Alternate mentioned, but they told me to wait until monday to test and see how fast they can get my connection. The main gripe is they want me to lock into another year term instead of letting me finish my term at the lower rate. The agent said that if I was in a location lucky enough to get the etreme upgrade 12 mos ago they would have offered the new rate for the one year left on the original term... so why do I have to commit to an additional 9 mos just because Telus didn't upgrade my local node?

PS see question mark above and not in the original post;)

#5 ·
One of the reasons I switched. I had been with Telus since 1995 up until August/08. Very happy with the service. I wasn't happy signing a 3 yr. contract for high speed 2.5 and not automatically being bumped up to 3.0 or notified of 6.0. It was only when I was changing providers that Telus offered enticements to stay. Oh well, part of today's corporate marketing, I guess.

#6 ·
So I just noticed these new Telus rates yesterday. I'm paying $45.95 for High Speed Enhanced. It looks like I should be paying $30.95. I have about 10 months left in a 3 year contract. I sent an email to Telus Support (I hate calling) asking if I should be charged the lower rate. I can't see why not but is it supposed to be my responsibility to check their website to see if the rates have changed? I have no idea when these rates changed but $15 a month can add up pretty quick.

#7 ·
Being in a 'locked rate' contract will not allow the rate to lower(supposedly), but you can upgrade to Extreme if it is in your area for the same price. But if you got a free item, that item is being paid for by the rate lock. But sometimes if you are a long term Telus customer with cell phone and long distance plans and talk nice, you can get a rate reduction of $5 or $10.
It is a pain when Telus does not notify about Speed upgrades for areas...

But wait until Feb 10. Telus is launching Turbo. It is 15Mbps. And 25Mbps on fiber. Telus call support has the information now. I do not know what areas. Part of the fiber Optic backbone upgrades that have been going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.