How do I get a US Sirius Subscription? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

How do I get a US Sirius Subscription?

I got a Sirius Satellite radio for Christmas and I was wondering how I go about getting a US subscription? I travel to the US on a regular basis and would prefer to have their lineup (best of XM etc).

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 10:10 AM

You need a US issued radio

You will not be able to receive US programming on a Canadian sold radio. If you want to listen to the US programming, you need to purchase and register a US radio (US billing address etc). Radios sold in Canada cannot receive US programming as it is blocked by the software on the radio itself.
post #3 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking5000 View Post
You will not be able to receive US programming on a Canadian sold radio. If you want to listen to the US programming, you need to purchase and register a US radio (US billing address etc). Radios sold in Canada cannot receive US programming as it is blocked by the software on the radio itself.
Not true. Whether you're able to receive the full US lineup on a Canadian bought Sirius radio, depends largely on the age of the unit. If you have a newer unit, there should be no problem whatsoever; if it's an older radio, it would depend on how old the chip in it is. Since you received your radio for Christmas, you should have no worries. All you need now is a US address and you'll be all set.

post #4 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 02:25 PM
AFF

I just used the their own address on the back of the manual. They don't send you a bill so you can use any address in the US. Heck, just google any business in the states and use thier address.
post #5 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Perfect thanks for the help! I received the Stiletto 2 for Christmas so hopefully that will be new enough to help with the US Subscription.

What phone number should I call to start the subscription process? I keep reading that if you call the US phone number it re-directs you to the Canadian number if you are calling from Canada. Also, do you just provide them with a credit card and the address and you are good to go? Finally, can you still do month to month or do you need to buy a yearly plan.

Thanks again for all the help.
post #6 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 03:11 PM

Hello, The way i did it was calling them using the number on the U.S web site. I used a address from one of the Hotels i stay when in the U.S or use one that you can find on the web. You can go month to month but i bought a 3 months a time. I had no problem using my Canadian c. card. Anyway Enjoy it, it is well worth the effort.
post #7 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 03:41 PM

I stand corrected...
post #8 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 04:14 PM

If you call the customer service number on the USA web page from Canada, the phone system detects you are calling from Canada and you get automatically redirected to Canada's customer service.

You should be able call the Sirius customer service in the USA directly using 1-888-601-6297.. I've been using this number to get new receivers activated on my US account... I haven't used it for about a year, but I believe it still works.

I've been paying for Sirius with a Canadian Visa card for six years now. Actually, in Visa's rules for USA merchants it specifically states that they may not refuse to honor foreign issued Visa cards. Sirius USA has a right to refuse you service if they believe you live in Canada, but technically they can't refuse a subscription simply because the card was issued in Canada.

One thing to consider is that some states have a sales tax on satellite radio and SIRIUS will add it to your bill and remit it to the state. This will increase your monthly cost.

FWIW, Arizona is one state that doesn't charge any tax. So, if you subscribe through an Arizona address, you won't pay any tax at all on your subscription. I was lucky enough to renew my 2yr subscription when the dollar was near par. If I average out the 2 years, my US subscription is only costing me just over 11 bucks a month and I don't pay any tax at all for the service.. No state tax, no PST, no GST
post #9 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 04:26 PM
AFF

I forgot to add, I subbed my radios online and didn't call them. I activated them while sitting in the car with a wireless laptop. The programming was there within 10 seconds.
post #10 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt873 View Post
FWIW, Arizona is one state that doesn't charge any tax. So, if you subscribe through an Arizona address, you won't pay any tax at all on your subscription. I was lucky enough to renew my 2yr subscription when the dollar was near par. If I average out the 2 years, my US subscription is only costing me just over 11 bucks a month and I don't pay any tax at all for the service.. No state tax, no PST, no GST
Sweet.

I didn't realize that Arizona didn't charge sales tax on satellite radio subs. (Their sales tax rate is normally 5.6% on everything except food and prescription drugs.) For an example at the other end of the spectrum, Florida's state sales tax is 6% on everything except food, prescription and non-prescription drugs and... satellite radio subs which they charge 15%!

Just to add, the US states which do not charge sales tax on anything are:

Alaska
Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon
post #11 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again guys for everything, it's greatly appreciated.

I called the number and it still works which is awesome. I also looked at the online subscription site and I was wondering how you get billed if you put a random US address? Do you get the mail forwarded back to your address? Does Sirius even send you anything?

Finally, I am having a really hard time getting a signal in or outside my house, does anyone have the Stiletto 2? If so, how did you get your device up and running?
post #12 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 08:47 PM
AFF

Mine comes off my CC, there is no bill to get.
post #13 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwobobby View Post
Finally, I am having a really hard time getting a signal in or outside my house, does anyone have the Stiletto 2? If so, how did you get your device up and running?
Do you have a home kit for your Stiletto 2? If not, you most likely won't get very good satellite reception indoors using only it's internal satellite antenna or if there are no terrestrial repeaters in your area. Regardless, you just might find that you need to get a home kit in order to get any reception from the satellites while at home. You'll have to experiment to find the best place in your house to permanently locate your antenna, keeping in mind that, unlike the XM satellites which are stationary, the Sirius satellites are constantly moving.

In the meantime, until your satellite reception issues get resolved, the best thing to allow you to receive Sirius programming on your Stiletto 2 while at home is to use it's Wi-Fi capability.
post #14 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-08, 02:05 PM
Rookie

uwobobby...or anyone else for that matter.

Can you please confirm that the Stiletto 2 bought in Canada will pick up all the stations for the US subscription? I just bought mine on Jan 3. I am going down to Houston next week and based on what I read previously, I was going to buy one down there instead and return my Canadian one, and activate the US one from there so there would be no issue with the origin of the phone call.

If the one I bought here will work, I'll use that one instead because for some reason, the unit I bought came with a car kit and cost 269.99 canadian, whereas the same unit from the states costs 299.99 american WITHOUT the car kit. Obviously, if I can use the Canadian one, it'll save me about a hundred bucks or more when all is said and done.

Is this absolutely true? if so, I can also stop trying to buy an american one for cheaper off ebay.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
post #15 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-08, 11:26 PM
AFF

Hmm, you may not be able to sub it.
I was having no issues with a US subbed units in Canada. Well, I just changed to a new visa and guess what? I can't change my cc info online because my radio "address" doesn't match my real cc address. On top of that I can't change my radio address because it won't let me use a Canadian address on the US site.
Go figure.
I guess my only option it let it expire and register on the Canadian site?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in