How do I get a US Sirius Subscription? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-11-30, 11:03 PM

Boavista: You paid $35 for a 1 year sub for 2 radios?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-12-09, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinnydog View Post
I have had a US account for the past 4 years. I live in Vancouver and have friends living in Seattle. I use their address for both billing and contact, but use my own phone number and email address. I pay using my credit card. Never had a problem.
I had a problem in ordering the radio. I had to use my canadian billing address. I have to pick up my radio this weekend from the US.

Just wondering how likely I will run into problems trying to activate the US radio with a US subsciption? I'm thinking it's very likely since their system knew that my primary address was in Canada. And I know that my US address works fine in the US because many gas stations require a zip code if you pay at the pump and my US address' zip code works fine. If I order the sub online I likely will run into the same problem. If I call Sirius customer service, I'm thinking that my radio may be blacklisted and I'll have to return it back and incurr shipping and restocking fees.
post #78 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-12-09, 08:28 AM

noooo i paid $35 for sirius online. The radios were 80 bucks each for the year

post #79 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 10:36 PM

WAs the $35 after a discount? Like right now, you can get a US Visa Cash card worth $100 if you get a 12 month sub.
post #80 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-12-31, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterbury Tail View Post
Ah. If you're activated it in Canada you'd have gotten three months free which comes with a VW I believe.
Sirius U.S doesn't offer a free trial for new cars with factory installed SIRIUS receivers?
post #81 of 167 (permalink) Old 2010-01-01, 10:52 AM

They probably do, but i only know the Canadian terms.
post #82 of 167 (permalink) Old 2010-01-01, 04:01 PM

Has anyone activated a new car bought in Canada for the free trial on Sirius U.S.?
post #83 of 167 (permalink) Old 2010-01-01, 11:02 PM

I'm not sure you can do that, and vice versa. Same with XM. It's the US or Canadian operation offering the trials with the partners, and the trials differ depending on the country. I doubt you can take the free trial being paid for by one operation and activate it on that free period in the other country.
post #84 of 167 (permalink) Old 2010-01-02, 02:58 PM

It looks like the free trials are the same in Canada and the U.S. (at least for VW). I guess they could keep track of which SIRIUS ESN's are supposed to be sold in which country, but it doesn't seem like they do. I don't think anyone is being paid for the trial in either country.
post #85 of 167 (permalink) Old 2010-01-02, 06:09 PM

I believe some of the "trials" are being paid for by automotive partners. Regardless, even if it is a free trial to the customer, the satellite provider is still paying for it. It's not free to give away free service, there is still a cost associated with it. The country providers have arrangements with the automotive companies in their respective countries, so it's them who are paying for it. I can't see Sirius US giving you free service that Sirius Canada should be footing the bill for, or vice versa. Same with XM and XM Canada.
post #86 of 167 (permalink) Old 2010-01-02, 09:22 PM

I don't think the automakers pay for the free trials. They might pay something for the receivers, but they are heavily subsidized by Sirius.

Sirius US and Canada's costs are pretty much fixed. It doesn't cost them anything extra to give new car buyers a free trial.
post #87 of 167 (permalink) Old 2010-01-03, 08:16 AM

Every subscription will cost, just like with every business. Just because everything is set up doesn't mean that adding extra is free. Anyway Sirius Canada and XM Canada will have to pay their US operations for any service they give away.

As for automakers not paying, I've seen the services being offered, and some are detailed on billing statements as free trial, some as prepaid. It seems some automakers get free service (looking around it seems to be the 3 monthers) and those that have longer service are prepaid and likely paying for it. Or do you think Sirius and XM really give away free service for the year long periods, or even those vehicles that come with a lifetime subscription?
post #88 of 167 (permalink) Old 2010-01-04, 03:02 AM

What are their extra costs associated with giving a free trial?
Quote:
Anyway Sirius Canada and XM Canada will have to pay their US operations for any service they give away.
How do you know that?

Quote:
Or do you think Sirius and XM really give away free service for the year long periods, or even those vehicles that come with a lifetime subscription?
I've never heard of any vehicles that come with a year or lifetime subscription.
post #89 of 167 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 05:50 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Final Confirmation Getting a US Subscription

Hello,
So to confirm I can get a US subscription on a CAnadian sirius radio IF i go activate online through the US website, providing a US address, such as the hotel in Arizona, and then immediately change my billing to my Visa after doing this so that there is no paper trail? US channels are much better and is obviously cheaper. Anyone have any other thoughts/advice???
THANKS!!!
post #90 of 167 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 04:48 PM

Smile

I set up a US sirius/best of xm account today on my new ford I bought here 6 months ago. I went to the sirius us web site. Setup a new account. I used a Montana hotel address, no sales tax here. Put in the Montana address.Then gave the same billing address as my "home address". It then asks for you to confirm your credit card address. I put in my canadian BMO mastercard address and BINGO!! It billed me the subscription fee on my credit card. I used a montana address as they have no sales tax here. I just checked my radio in the truck and I am getting all the channells I subscribed to. Had my doubts but it worked........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in