How do I get a US Sirius Subscription? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-04-08, 10:35 PM

From what I was told, and please set me straight if anyone can verify who has had both the CDN and US subscription. With the US subscription you have more or additional channels because there are no French Channels or speciality Canadian Channels on the US subscription. If BOTH subscriptions had the EXACT same channels this wouldn't be a concern of mine. I dont want the CDN subscription if I am losing US channels.
Another thing. XM runs on 84 kb/sec while Sirius runs on 84 or 168 kb/sec. WIth XM you dont have the option of having CD sound quality.

Here is the channel lineup for XM USA and Candada. Although I havent counted them, it appears the US has more channels.

Canada: http://www.xmradio.ca/pdf/ChannelGuide_EN.pdf

USA: http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/channel_guide.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-04-09, 09:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb777 View Post
With the US subscription you have more or additional channels
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb777 View Post
because there are no French Channels or speciality Canadian Channels on the US subscription.
False
post #48 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-04-09, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchoice View Post
Yes

False
Starchoice, what's false about it?

post #49 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-04-09, 10:57 PM

Take a look at the channel guide you posted for the US channels ... all the French channels are there.
post #50 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-04-10, 02:25 AM

I had to construct a spreadsheet this evening and it took quite a while. I see what you guys are saying. All the French channels are there. What hit me first is that you dont get the Best of XM with a Canadian subscription.

I also noticed that with Sirius, 6 channels (SIR 1 to SIR 6) are available on XM Radio. Unfortunately, the only way you can hear them is via internet, which sucks. Another difference I noticed is that Sirius Canada, supposedly has a different doctor channel than Sirius USA and you can't get the US traffic or Weather Emergency Channel on the CDN subscription. With XM, you're stuck with 32 kbps audio (not a problem with talk programming) but not acceptable for music. With Sirius, you can pay an additional $2.99 US and get 128 kbps. This is a noticably huge jump over the 32 kbps that XM and Sirius basic has.
post #51 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-04-10, 07:36 AM

You don't get Best of XM with a Sirius US subscription. It is available as an option at an additional fee. Also in the US with Sirius you no longer get the 32kb stream for free anymore, new subscribers and subscribers who rollover will no longer get the streaming internet radio, whereas with Canada you still do.
post #52 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-04-10, 01:56 PM

Yes, for $4 US more/month you get the Best of Sirius. For an additional $3.00 you get the premium 128 kbps which I just found out can only be heard through the internet. They crippled or capped the hardware to max out at 32 kbps from the 64 kbps they had previously...not a good idea, imo. This is justification for me to scrap the idea of Sirius or XM altogether.
post #53 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-04-19, 11:03 AM

I agree

This is where I am at. I am looking to get sirius for the 1st time but I also am interested in the US program options specifically ala carte. If I can't reeive this in Canada then I am probably not getting anything and sticking to my local FM stations. Thanks CRTC.
post #54 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-04-23, 07:26 PM

I can confirm the online sign up method works. Got setup in less than 10 minutes.
post #55 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-04-23, 08:03 PM

Question Online sign up

Thanks GusX. What did you sign up for? What type of radio? Were you able to bill it on your Canadian CC? Do you know if Ala Carte was an option? Thanks
post #56 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-04-25, 09:41 AM

I signed up to Sirius with the best of XM package. My radio is a Pioneer F900BT headunit (never activated before). The A La Carte option wasnt available with my unit ... was greyed out as an option.

Credit card used is a Canadian card. For the address, I just used one of our company's affiliates in the USA.
post #57 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-05-14, 10:23 PM

I just bought a new car in Canada with a Sirius radio preinstalled. I was able to activate a US Sirius subscription, no problems. Used the online method with a billing address that DOESN'T match my actual (cdn) credit card billing address. Was up and running with the 'Best of XM' within 2 minutes....

One proviso: I did use this same credit card in the past (3 years ago) when I had the US subscription before I switched to XM in '07, so possibly they still had it in their database as a valid card/billing address combo.
post #58 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-05-15, 01:52 PM

Out of interest, what car was it that you purchased?
post #59 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-05-15, 10:06 PM

VW Passat.

The Nav system is also compatible with the Sirius traffic service, but that can only be activated by calling the 800 number, but I don't have the guts to try that mode of contact yet...
post #60 of 167 (permalink) Old 2009-05-16, 07:33 AM

Ah. If you're activated it in Canada you'd have gotten three months free which comes with a VW I believe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in