How do I get a US Sirius Subscription? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-09, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Hey Verbatim,

I had no problems at all. Just use the phone number that JWT873 provided and you should be good.

I ended up doing half the activation through the automated person but got stuck at one point and ended up talking to a live person and they basically did the activation for me. I was worried about the ESN of my unit since it was purchased in Canada but I had no problems at all.

I signed up for everything including the Best of XM package and all the channels are there.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-09, 02:50 AM
AFF

When did you do that? They just made some changes to thier policy. Because of fraud they are making sure the address you provide matches the address of the credit card.
post #18 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-09, 11:14 AM
Rookie

uwobby... what did you use to sign up over the phone? Did you give them cc info or did you use a gift card or prepaid subscription? In a post from a previous thread, they mention a place where you can go to buy prepaid subscriptions online and they send you a pin number to give to the csr (can't name the website anymore apparently according the rules!...got my pee pee slapped).

Just curious as to what information you had to give.

post #19 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-10, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

I signed up on New Years Day.

I used my credit card when I signed up over the phone, it was a Master Card if that makes any difference. I travel a lot so I used a hotel I stay at in New Hampshire (no state tax) as my address.

I signed up for 3 months and from what they said it will just renew every three months after that, I also confirmed that everything will be done through email and nothing ever gets sent to the address on file.

Let me know if you need anything else.
post #20 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-11, 02:40 PM

i don't know if they do this anymore but once i received something from Sirius in the mail from sirius canada stating my subscription will be up at a certain date. if the false address see this they will most likely cancel or worse start an investigation on how a subscription for sirius was made with anyones knowledge.
post #21 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-11, 08:41 PM
Veteran

No doubt, the FBI would be involved in this one!
post #22 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-12, 05:47 PM
Rookie

That's why you use a hotel address...they'll toss your mail instead of opening it. I'm not particularily worried about any of that stuff...if they were really concerned with keeping canadians from subscribing, they could take steps to prevent it.
Anyhow, I signed up today with no problems. Sirius everything + best of xm lifetime subscription since it's discounted right now. Ya ya ya, I know I'm taking the chance that they will not go bankrupt and I'll lose my subscription, but hey, life is all about risks... what the hell, it's only money.

Funny thing is, on the automated system, before I connected to the CSR to sign up for the lifetime subscription, they listed yearly plans all the way up to 6 years for $751.10!!! without the best of xm!

I thought that was pretty funny myself anyway.

Thanks for the responses. The only reason I wanted the U.S. subscription is because I travel a lot to the U.S. and would like the traffic and weather reports since I always rent a car wherever I go. Having the best of xm is nice too. I'll refrain from bashing the crtc, although I dearly would love to do so.
post #23 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-12, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbatim
That's why you use a hotel address...they'll toss your mail instead of opening it. I'm not particularily worried about any of that stuff...if they were really concerned with keeping canadians from subscribing, they could take steps to prevent it.
Yes.. There's a Holiday Inn in Casa Grande, Arizona that's been getting whatever Sirius mails out for almost 6 years now I signed up with Sirius USA while I was staying there on a holiday. Nobody has ever complained.
post #24 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-13, 03:43 PM

Does anyone know if a Canadian with an XM receiver can subscribe to American Sirius? I know Sirius bought XM in the States but they're still separate in Canada and it's not possible to get Sirius-exclusive programming through XM in Canada.
post #25 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-13, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimli View Post
Does anyone know if a Canadian with an XM receiver can subscribe to American Sirius? I know Sirius bought XM in the States but they're still separate in Canada and it's not possible to get Sirius-exclusive programming through XM in Canada.
Not possible yet
post #26 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-14, 12:44 AM
Rookie

not possible for what? To use a canadian xm radio to subscribe to us service or not possible with a canadian xm sub to get best of sirius programming? I assume you meant the latter because I've heard xm radios from either country work with either provider.
post #27 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-14, 02:40 AM
Veteran

XM gets XM. Sirius gets Sirius. US or Canada - makes no difference.
post #28 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-18, 10:22 PM

uwobobby...Did you use the hotel's phone number when registering?
post #29 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-18, 10:42 PM

Sorry for jumping in. Just give your own. That's what i did.
post #30 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Nope, I used my own phone number.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in