SiriusXM buys Pandora - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Inglewood

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-09-24, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

SiriusXM buys Pandora

SiriusXM is acquiring Pandora for $3.5 billion. It intends to maintain the Pandora service and brand, along with its roughly 70 million monthly active users (5.6 million of which are paying members), which stands at double that of SiriusXM’s existing 36 million subscribers.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/24/1...usic-streaming

https://www.cnet.com/news/siriusxm-t...reaming-music/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-09-25, 11:03 AM
Veteran

That is awesome news. My Mother just bought a car about 5-6 months ago and it came equipped with Siriux XM Satellite Radio. They enrolled her with 6 months of free sirius xm, but my mom is a simple woman and just drives the car to work and back, often checking the local news, and local radio stations and has never tried the satellite radio nor has she shown interest in it. She got a letter in the mail from Sirius XM and as well a courtesy call from them too, advising her the free promo is running out and she can decide to sign up for the regular price of $16 per month before discounts, my mom flat out refused and questioned why she should pay for something she never listened to and may not even like. For $16 a month that does sound like a rip off. no wonder Sirius XM is filthy rich they can afford to buy Pandora (the streaming Pandora station not the jewellery company)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-09-25, 01:56 PM

SiriusXM may seem like a ripoff in the Toronto area or any other market where you have lots of AM/FM stations, but if you travel a lot to areas with a few or no radio stations, it is great.

Do a drive like the Crowsnest between Vancouver and Penticton without satellite radio, and you will gladly pay $16/month or more.
Voodoocobra likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-09-25, 09:54 PM
Veteran

Besides, nobody has to pay $16/mo. There are always special offers available. I've never paid more than $13/mo and that's with the $4/mo streaming option and extra fees added. People with car radios often pay considerably less. It's still not cheap but someone has to pay Howard Stern's ridiculous salary and to keep those satellites whizzing around the planet. SiriusXM does make a healthy profit... now. Sirius and XM lost money for the first 8 years and only started making money after the imminent bankruptcy of XM convinced regulators to let them merge. Pandora has never made money and needed a buyer to prevent bankruptcy. I don't know the purchase details but I doubt it's a cash deal. It's more likely a stock swap and debt bailout. Pandora would likely have either gone bankrupt or been purchased by another music service such as Spotify or Google Music if SiriusXM hadn't stepped in. At least this way, there remains a little more competition in the streaming music service marketplace in the near future. I don't want the only options to be Google or Spotify.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-10-02, 05:10 PM
Veteran

So will they finally offer the Pandora service to Canadians?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-10-02, 06:48 PM

Good point. Didn't think of that. Would be interesting...

"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don’t need it"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-10-15, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
SiriusXM may seem like a ripoff in the Toronto area or any other market where you have lots of AM/FM stations, but if you travel a lot to areas with a few or no radio stations, it is great.

Do a drive like the Crowsnest between Vancouver and Penticton without satellite radio, and you will gladly pay $16/month or more.

Yeah. Unfortunately the semi annual negotiation is a pain. But driving Calgary to the Invermere valley every second week along Hwy1 and Hwy 93 south, there is no contact with terrestrial radio. I find the two hours a good time to catch up on business news, bbc, Bloomberg, and music. Also, just set up a streamer at the cabin and it has Sirius as well. So got it running there with the online access as well. No terrestrial radio there as well.

If you have a need, satellite radio can have some value. Not $200 a year value, but at about 9 bucks an month, I am OK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in