TiVos for HD OTA in Canada - Page 91 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1351 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-06-30, 10:08 PM

OK good enough. It's always been the way, most of the cable companies in Canada want you using their PVRs and they do not offer cable cards so you cannot plug one into your TiVo. Talk about a monopoly. This is where the government needs to intervene. We should not be completely dependent on what machine the cable company wants us to use. They should all be forced to offer cable cards and get rid of their crappy PVRs that they sell/rent themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-07-01, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awebber View Post
I use the Premiere on Comcast (with a CableCard) when I'm in FL and dream of using it OTA in Canada but I can't put an antenna outside.
You should be able to receive some channels using an attic or indoor antenna, assuming your Premiere has an ATSC tuner.
Quote:
Had trouble getting it to accept my lineup and in fact it still insists WPBS is on 97 when I've got it on 64. I tried GS several times (tried saying the Rogers box was analogue, tried saying digital), and never got the right combination. Might try again, or live without WPBS (can force a recording if I need to).
You can fill out this form and TiVo will correct your lineup. It might take a few weeks and you might have to phone TiVo support to follow up as a last resort.
Report a Lineup Issue | TiVo
Quote:
My TVFool results are at my profile Homepage URL. Thanks roger1818 for the idea.
TV Fool says "The requested report ID is no longer on our server."
post #1353 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-07-04, 03:55 PM

Thanks, guess I should take that from my signature (or redo it). I get a couple of Ottawa stations, at one point I had them all (CF and HC) but it seems to change.

=aw

post #1354 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 11:53 AM

TiVo playback on Apple TV using updated iOS application

Does the new "stream to Apple TV" feature work on your setup?

I downloaded the new TiVo application, and updated my Stream connection, but I don't see an option to mirror the iPad playback on Apple TV. My Roamio is running software version 20.4.7a-USA-6-846 (I just added my units to the Priority Update list for 20.4.8) and my Stream is running 20.4.6a.stream-06-6.
post #1355 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 04:53 PM

You have the Roamio PRO?
post #1356 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 06:19 PM

Regular Roamio and Premiere, but I do have the Stream box... This feature is enabled through the Stream box (and Roamio PROs, which don't require a Stream box) and works with the iPad/iPhone. It activates the iOS mirroring feature so that the mobile device can play Stream content through Apple TV in addition to the current feature of playing back through the TiVo app.

I suspect that my problem is caused by old firmware on the Stream device.
post #1357 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 07:02 PM

Oh you likely need to set the Apple TV from your iPad. When you swipe UP from the bottom of the iPad or iPhone screen it will give you a menu. Click on the AirPlay and then choose your Apple TV while the show is playing from your TiVo.
post #1358 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-07-17, 10:38 AM

Yes, that works - Thanks for the suggestion! The AppleTV output is low quality and letterboxed. I was hoping for a full screen output... It's not much of a feature for now, but perhaps it will be improved with the next Stream firmware upgrade.
post #1359 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-07-17, 01:32 PM

This is now working perfectly as expected, when playing new recordings. The content fills the full screen when setting the iPad to AirPlay on Apple TV with Mirroring off. Turning Mirroring on shows the windowed iPad screen, and the TiVo application controls, with letterboxed playback.

The only change since this morning is that I just received the 20.5.2-USA-6-846 firmware update on my Roamio and 20.5.2-01-2-748 update for my Premiere. The Roam box is still running the old firmware. Old recordings that were already transferred to the iPad don't play back properly on the Apple TV, but any new transfers to the iPad are playing back full screen (without mirroring).
post #1360 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-07-17, 06:54 PM

Oh yes mirroring is not a good setting. That's more for when you are showing a demo of apps on your iPad.

Glad you got it figured out.
post #1361 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-08-15, 11:02 AM

i see that TiVo has a sale on Roamio's ($49) w/lifetime $249
i have a Premier w/lifetime
any reason to upgrade?

mark
post #1362 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-08-15, 02:42 PM

I have both. I don't see any reason if you satisfied with your Premiere. Romio has faster speed to load apps and much easier drive upgrade. It cannot do OTA and analog at the same time like the premiere however, can use the mini.

There are new Tivos expected to come out shortly (Tivo Bolt)
post #1363 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-08-15, 03:37 PM

Ahh. That's why the big sale. 😀 I was wondering.
post #1364 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-08-15, 03:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaye View Post
i see that TiVo has a sale on Roamio's ($49) w/lifetime $249
i have a Premier w/lifetime
any reason to upgrade?

mark
Roamio has a better than premiere OTA tuner and Hulu plus app works in Canada. I could never get Hulu plus to work on the premiere.
post #1365 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2015-09-08, 10:19 AM
Rookie

Just checking in here to say that I finished up my OTA setup over the weekend and have great results with a Roamio OTA box. I watched the $300 lifetime deal around May 1 come and go so I pounced on the $400 deal in June to ensure I could get the hardware in prep for when I finished up my setup. Well wouldn't you know it that Tivo would re-introduce the $300 deal right before I finalized the antenna setup Oh well.

Am just using the Roamio OTA box by itself right now but plan on adding a few Mini's in the future as I add more TV's but I'm really happy with the box so far. I forget which zipcode I used but it was somewhere in Niagra Falls to ensure the guide had all the Canadian stations plus the US networks. 49 channels scanned in and after setting the major networks as my favorites and having the guide just display those we are all set. I'm in the High Park area in the GTA and all the channels I was after look great using this box.

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in