TiVos for HD OTA in Canada - Page 85 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1261 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-08-21, 09:45 PM

Since this thread seems to be active again, how are you folks getting around the geolocation limitations of TiVo streaming? Are you guys using Netflix USA, Hulu, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-08-22, 10:58 AM
Veteran

Using unblock-us with Tivo Roamio you can access American Netflix and hulu plus.
With Tivo Premiere I could not access hulu plus and others have the same issue.
post #1263 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-09-13, 03:10 PM
Rookie

If anyone's interested, apparently TiVo is coming out with a Roamio just for OTA. It's $50 vs. the $200 for a base Roamio. No idea what lifetime service would be. I'm assuming the same as other Roamios.

Link for anyone interested. https://www.tivo.com/discover/antenna

post #1264 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-09-13, 10:39 PM

There's no lifetime option on the OTA model. Here's the fine print from your link:
Quote:
Recurring $14.99/mo service fee continues on month-to-month base after fulfillment of 1-year commitment. Product Lifetime service subscription option and multi-service discount not available with TiVo Roamio OTA offer.
After 3.5 years, the OTA model will cost more than the standard Roamio with a lifetime subscription.

Also, it doesn't support the Mini, so you will need another TiVo at $15/month for each TV where you want TiVo service.

If you are still interested, the OTA model is only available at Best Buy stores in the U.S.
post #1265 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-12-07, 10:09 PM

OTA unit does in fact support the mini. I think it must be connected via ethernet though as opposed to coax.

Yamaha 5660, Samsung 50" DLP, Paradigm Monitor Series, Bev 6000, Dishnet 501 PVR
post #1266 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-12-12, 10:47 PM

Does anyone know if the EPG in the Tivo Roamio OTA will support Canadian listings? I live in Vancouver so in addition to all the usual Canadian broadcasters I can also receive KOMO, KIRO, KVOS and KBTC stations.
I'm looking for a DVR/PVR solution with a reliable EPG, so I don't mind paying for that.
Thanks in advance.
post #1267 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-12-13, 12:13 PM

Have a look at https://www.tivo.com/tivo-tco/tvlistings.do to see what you will receive as far as guide listings are concerned.

In Toronto we have a similar situation as we get both the Canadian AND U.S. listings. It is all based on the postal code you put in when you set up. I have the Premiere but I wouldn't think for a moment that the Roamio wouldn't get the same listings.

If you are shopping for a Roamio, make sure you get the 4 tuner model or the lesser "Roamio OTA" as they are the only Roamios that accept OTA input.

In my humble opinion, the 2 week TiVo guide setup is worth the subscription. Hint...get the lifetime, it's pricey but works out the best in the long run.

CM4228HD, HDP269, TiVo Premiere, TiVo Roamio, TiVo Mini
post #1268 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-12-13, 05:00 PM

Perfect. Thank you MapMaker. Of course Canadian post code didn't work but I entered the ZIP for Blaine, WA and all the Canadian listings appeared :-)

One final question. Can I use a Canadian credit card for payment? I seem to remember years ago when I had a Series 2 that Canadians had to enter a specific ZIP code?

Thanks for your help.
post #1269 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-12-13, 05:18 PM

I ordered from tivo using my Canadian credit card and it worked fine. When my Roamio arrived at the border I drove down to pick it up. At that time tivo did not ship to Canada. I don't know if they do now.

The Roamio gets the same guide as my premiere.
post #1270 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-12-13, 06:59 PM

Yes, the border situation is a bit weird. TiVo accepted the fact that I was in Canada, and accepted my Canadian Credit Card for U.S. Dollars, but couldn't enter a Canadian address for shipping or billing purposes.

When I bought my Premiere directly from TiVo in early 2013, the only way they could enter my billing address was as "Toronto, On <Postal Code> LARAMIE, WY 82070" even though the shipping address was to Niagara Falls NY. So, in effect, I had 3 different addresses!

post #1271 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-12-15, 04:09 AM

Quote:
The Roamio gets the same guide as my premiere.
When I first posted my Roamio question, I also pinged TiVo... not expecting a reply. But they did. Here's what they said...

"Entering "98230" would bring up channel information for Blaine, WA 98230. Local Antenna broadcast information would be available for that zip code only, no Canadian broadcast information will be recognized, pulled, or decoded through that Antenna. As you mentioned the TiVo Series2 units were able to decode that information unrestricted, the Roamio OTA model would be unable to pull this channel information. I do apologize."

It seems odd that TiVo would go to the effort of deliberately crippling Canadian broadcasts. For example, Americans living near the border might be interested in Canadian broadcasts?

Either way, if anyone with a Roamio can confirm that they get complete listings, that would be superb.

Thanks in advance.
post #1272 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-12-15, 04:59 AM

That is strange because I recall keying in zip code 13669 which is an American zip code close to the border where I live and the tivo brought up both the U.S. and Canadian stations. Since my antenna is indoors I could not pick up the U.S. stations so I went back to using my Canadian postal code which does not include the U.S. channels. I'm too far from the border (about 1 hour of highway driving).
post #1273 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-12-15, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Either way, if anyone with a Roamio can confirm that they get complete listings
I do. I use a US zipcode closest to me as the crow flies. It gets data for all the Buffalo stations I get, plus all the Toronto and Hamilton stations.
post #1274 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-12-15, 11:44 AM

Captain Semtex:
Quote:
"Entering "98230" would bring up channel information for Blaine, WA 98230. Local Antenna broadcast information would be available for that zip code only, no Canadian broadcast information will be recognized, pulled, or decoded through that Antenna. As you mentioned the TiVo Series2 units were able to decode that information unrestricted, the Roamio OTA model would be unable to pull this channel information. I do apologize."
I have a feeling that the operative phrase is "the Roamio OTA model". If you check out this model you will notice that it is quite different from the other Roamio models. Beyond being $100 cheaper, one strange difference is that you cannot purchase lifetime service. It is also completely missing from the Roamio model comparison list. All clues that would make me avoid this model.

On the other hand I have read nothing but praise for the basic Roamio model.

post #1275 of 1418 (permalink) Old 2014-12-15, 07:58 PM

I have the Roamio OTA model with lifetime on it. They no longer sell lifetime on those? I guess I won't be buying another one then.

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in