TiVos for HD OTA in Canada - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #826 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 04:39 AM

I called once and like Andrela had issues with the CSR. He stated that Canada was not supported at all and issues with the machine were not covered if you're in Canada. I escalated this to a manager and was told that this wasn't true. Canada was not blacklisted from the CSRs. Fortunately it's been over a year since I've had to contact TiVo about anything.

Also, when I called in May 2011 to order my second TiVo they had no issue selling me one and shipping it to the UPS Depot in Ogdensburg, NY which is only an hour's drive from Ottawa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #827 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 06:28 AM
Rookie

Are there any particular antennas that work best with the Tivo? The company I've talked to about doing the install, recommended an amp (they said it was obviously my decision though). Based on my location (Courtice which is just east of Oshawa), do you think an amp will be necessary? It will be a roof install.

Thanks again!
post #828 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 09:07 AM

Would you provide the link to your Tvfool profile? Is there a specific antenna recommended by your installer?

post #829 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 09:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrela View Post
Would you provide the link to your Tvfool profile? Is there a specific antenna recommended by your installer?
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2df9ab799dab63

This is the website of the company I've talked to about the install, http://skyviewelectronics.com/hd-tv-antennas.html So far, they seem professional and honest. ie. When I said I would probably pick up my own PVR in the States, they didn't try and convince me to buy theirs!

The specific antenna they recommended is the Eaglestar Pro 53-6165-1V with the amp.
post #830 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-16, 09:23 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil0208 View Post
Are there any particular antennas that work best with the Tivo?
The choice of antenna is based on your location and not on what tuner/PVR you use. My suggestion is post in the Oshawa reception results thread to see what others in your area recommend.

Quote:
The company I've talked to about doing the install, recommended an amp (they said it was obviously my decision though). Based on my location (Courtice which is just east of Oshawa), do you think an amp will be necessary?
The primary function of a pre-amp is to move the first stage amp as close to the antenna as possible to overcome signal loss from long cable lengths and splitters. If you choose an ultra low noise amp, it will also help with the reception of weak signals, though should not be used as a replacement for a good antenna. See the signal amplifier thread for more details.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #831 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-26, 07:58 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Lightbulb New update coming

If you want to get updated in the first wave, register at TiVo.com/priority. Not sure how long this will be available so act fast.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #832 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-27, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely looking forward to it.
post #833 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-28, 08:45 PM

Smile Tivo Premiere with DB4e antenna

Just wanted to share with everyone that I got great results with matching my Tivo Premiere with a DB4e antenna. I was getting fed up with trying many different antennas, amplifiers and was worried that my investment in this box which I purchased in Buffalo Walden Galleria BestBuy was a total waste. Learning about the weak tuner in the Premiere was not good news and was a let down. How could a reputable company as Tivo release a product that could cause many headaches for its owners. Tivo CSR said when I called that it required a strong signal area. I live in South Etobicoke so I new that was not an issue.

Long story short when I purcased, connected the DB4e the results were like night in day in terms of receiving stable signals that would not fall apart every 10 seconds. Most of you know what I'm talking about when your watching a program and that stupid pixelation, studdering happens with an unstable signal lock.

I'm in OTA Tivo heaven! I get everything rock solid stable from all the Toronto, Batavia, and Buffalo stations and occasionally get 3-4 channels from Rochester. Can't wait for UHF CHCH 11 to kick in 2013.
post #834 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 03:05 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Exclamation TiVo Fall 2012 Update

Here is a description of the update:

http://blog.tivo.com/2012/10/fall-up...premiere-dvrs/

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #835 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 05:02 PM

It looks like some good improvements to the menus.

One thing that drives me crazy is the To Do List selecting shows to record that are repeats when I've asked for new episode only. I realize this is more of a guide issue, but it would be great to get rid of that problem.
post #836 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 10:29 PM

Great improvements. Looking forward to seeing them. Sadly, i am out of country and not back for another 2 weeks. Please provide update when you get it.
post #837 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-31, 07:29 PM

Question Update and Crash

Got the new update to day. I watched a pre recorded show from the Tivo and the remote refused to work. It would only turn the volume up or down.

I did a reboot and it took about 5 minutes everything appears to be okay now.

There were no instructions to do a reboot obviously that is a possibility when you get the new software
post #838 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-31, 07:37 PM

I got the new update today too. I have not rebooted. So far all seems good. I can now see conflicts. There was a show I have not seen in a solid month. Now I know why. I haven't used the software much since the update, but what I've seen so far, I like. I hope it doesn't lock up and such. Time will tell.
post #839 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-10-31, 11:17 PM

Restart required???

I pulled this from the Tivo website. So there is a resart involved and that is suppose to happen automatically during the night Perhaps my unit never did restart or missed the schedule. I presume resart means reboot by disconnecting the power source.

How to update the software on your TiVo box

Software updates are automatically downloaded to your TiVo box by the TiVo service as they become available. After the download, the box must restart to install the software. The restart is usually scheduled for the middle of the night, to avoid interrupting scheduled recordings or live TV viewing.

To receive the update sooner, make two more manual service connections until Pending Restart is displayed as the Last Call Status. For instructions, see How do I connect to the TiVo service? If you are using a phone line to connect, be aware that the download can take a significant amount of time, during which you will not be able to receive phone calls or make outgoing calls. (If you have voicemail that takes messages when your phone is busy, your callers will be able to leave messages.)
post #840 of 1424 (permalink) Old 2012-11-01, 08:34 PM
Rookie

Looks like mine has updated (I see the ToDo list in "HD" now). FYI, I didn't manually reboot and all seems fine. In fact, YouTube doesn't seem to crash my unit when trying to exit anymore, thought that sample set is small!

Tags
tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in