Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Daylight savings time

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
Is anyone having problems with their TV's program guide not populating correctly.
I have a LG tv and most channels populate the program guide correctly.

HOWEVER in central Ontario GLOBAL real channel 41 transmitting from TORONTO (and its repeater towers)
and CHCH real channel 15 transmitting from STONEY CREEK (and its repeater towers)
have not adjusted the time in their signal to account for daylight savings time... or at least there is a problem in their transmission signal

This causes my TV's program guide to reset and shift back 1 hour (back to standard time) which causes all the program's guide info that has been populated by tuning to stations with the correct daylight savings time to be wiped out.

I then have to tune to each of those stations again to populate their program guide info...
doing this causes the guide info for GLOBAL and CHCH to be wiped out.

There is something in Global's and CHCH's transmission that is causing this problem. All other stations are fine.

This problem happened last year at daylight savings time..
I sent emails to GLOBAL and CHCH tech departments and never got a reply or the transmission problem corrected.
I've just sent emails to GLOBAL and CHCH to notify them of the problem but I expect I will be ignored again.

As soon as we go back to standard time this problem goes away... as all stations will be transmitting the same time in their signal

See less See more
#2 ·
well it looks like Global tried to correct their data stream... the tv's program guide no longer shifts the time back 1 hour (to show standard time) but tuning to Global (real channel 41 .... or its repeater towers) still causes the tv program guide to be wiped clean... so basically the same problem...

CHCH is still the same problem.. the program guide's time shifts back 1 hour and the guide info is wiped clean...

so getting these 2 problem stations to make their data stream similar to all the other stations is futile....

my TV is an LG 65UK6300BUB and I have the current firmware installed ..... 05.10.40

Does anyone else have this model of TV.. if yes do you have this same problem?

Does anyone else have any model of LG tv that does not have this problem with the tv program guide?

IF your LG tv does not have the guide problem... please state which model of TV you have ...
then maybe I can get LG to fix the firmware for the 65UK6300BUB ...
if some of their models do not have this program guide problem... then maybe they can change the 65UK6300BUB 's firmware to match something that actually works.

#3 ·
I would check for you, but it will have to wait until CIII global moves to RF 17 and back to the CN tower. Ever since they moved to the alternate site in Dec. at lower height and power, it is MIA here.

#4 ·
Thanks majortom...

update march 26 (10:00 am)

it looks like only CHCH from hamilton area has corrected their signal ... it no longer causes problem with LG TV guide

RF 15 vf 11.1 CHCH (hamilton area transmitter) it does send out guide info... has correct Time and does not cause TV guide to reset
RF 23 vf 67.1 CHCH (muskoka area repeater ) it does not send guide info ... has INCORRECT Time (-1 hour) it DOES cause TV guide to reset

RF 41 vf 41.1 GLOBAL (toronto area transmitter) it does send out guide info... has INCORRECT Time (-1 hour) it DOES cause TV guide to reset
RF 7 vf 7.1 GLOBAL (midland area repeater) it does not send guide info... has INCORRECT Time (-4 minutes) it DOES cause TV guide to reset
RF 27 vf 27.1 GLOBAL (cobourg area repeater) it does send out guide info... has INCORRECT Time (-1 hour) it DOES cause TV guide to reset

RF 12 vf 12.1 CHEX (peteborough GLOBAL affiliate) it does not send guide info... has INCORRECT Time (-1 minute) it DOES cause TV guide to reset
it does send guide info saying only "CHEX PROGRAMING" for every time slot but no useful program guide info

#5 ·
note on the my LG tv to see this time problem .. the TV has to be set to get the time from the station....
if the TV is set so the time is manually set.... the time scale on the program guide stays the same.. but tuning to the problem stations causes the guide info to reset
it was only when I set the TV to get the time from the stations was I able to see how the problem is connected to the time the station is sending out in its signal

#6 ·
yeah the broadcaster sends the time in what is called the 'STT' System Time Table.
In there is a flag that sets whether or not the current month is going to be a time change, and if so, which day of the month and hour it will be adjusted.
Normally the encoders they use it is pretty much plug and play for them.

Others not so much for some reason, and they are slow to recognize / fix the issue...

Seeing as how we recently adjusted the time, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some bug related to how the STT is handled.

#8 ·
I was able to get a lock on CIII this evening, saved this screenshot showing exactly where the issue lies. As I suspected, they are sending the right time, but are sending the wrong flag to tell the TV that it is Daylight Savings Time now.
eg DST = False, but should be True this time of year. They never sprung ahead.
Edit: the STT of CIII Paris on RF 23 is broke in the same fashion.

#9 ·
majortom
Thanks for finding their error.... now maybe I can get Global to fix their signal by showing them exactly what needs to be changed/fixed.
For what looks like such a simple correction... the question is... why couldn't Global's tech department find this simple error themselves.

#10 ·
Just guessing...maybe they don't look at or analyze the signal over the air, like we do?
Can imagine someone remotely plugging thru a possibly confusing set of menus/parameters from a web based gui of some sort for configuration...
Every other station I have seen currently has that DST flag set to true now that we are in the summer time months..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.