where was the former CKGN-TV-22 Uxbridge tower? (1974 to 1988) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andysradio

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

where was the former CKGN-TV-22 Uxbridge tower? (1974 to 1988)

Wondering if anyone knows where Global's original CKGN-TV-22 Uxbridge transmitter tower was located? (address or coordinates)

Supposedly it was a whopping 5 million watt "world's most powerful transmitter" at the time.

This website says "the transmitter was located near Goodwood, south of Uxbridge."

Also curious where the original Kitchener/Paris transmitter tower was sited. Apparently the Kitchener transmitter was moved to its current site at 475 Ayr Road in 1987, so whereabouts was the original transmitter "located southwest of Paris"?

I might try asking the CRTC Information Resource Centre to dig up the original broadcasting applications, but thought someone on the DHC forum might just know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-07-29, 08:40 PM

I donít have the coordinates at hand but the tower, which is still there, is about 1 km south of Coppinís Corners on Durham rd. 1.
I donít know what the tower does today.
mr.eous likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-07-29, 09:44 PM
Veteran

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-07-29, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysradio View Post
I donít have the coordinates at hand but the tower, which is still there, is about 1 km south of Coppinís Corners on Durham rd. 1.
I donít know what the tower does today.
Bingo! Not quite 3km down the road from the hamlet, but you're right: it's at 3189 Brock Road, across from the Vicdom gravel pit.

Confirmed by browsing through some historical land registry books -- Global Communications Ltd. bought land, there, in 1972 for a mere $17,000.

Dunno who owns the site, now, but using ISED's lookup tools, it looks like Metrolinx has some microwave dishes on that tower these days.

Comparing older StreetView imagery, it looks as though they removed the antenna mast at the top, in recent years.

Now, if I could only solve the curiosity of where the Paris (Ontario) site was before it was moved to its current location.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-07-30, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Bingo! Not quite 3km down the road from the hamlet, but you're right: it's at 3189 Brock Road, across from the Vicdom gravel pit.
I recall seeing that tower from the VE3RPT repeater site, on the Skyloft ski hill. I also did some work at that gravel pit, setting up VoIP phones, a couple of years ago. However, I didn't know it was the Global TV tower.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in