OTA Splitter? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-17, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

OTA Splitter?

I just recently moved from Weyburn SK to Regina SK and in addition to Bell I知 using OTA. I can get all channels except Global with a cheap indoor antenna. I知 looking at trying this indoor antenna as it apparently will work Winegard FL5500A Flatwave Amplified antenna. If not I値l buy a outdoor one. Now I have this multi switch and wondering if this will work to split the signal reliably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-17, 07:46 PM

That multi-switch is intended for use with a satellite system. If you provide proper power to it, it might work for OTA only if you feed the antenna signal into the ANTENNA port.

It would be better if you simply used either a 4 port splitter or distribution amp, if needed.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-17, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I致e also been looking at the Channel Master CM-3414 4 port Amp/Splitter.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-17, 10:53 PM
Veteran

A satellite switch such as the one pictured is not suitable for OTA. Good OTA splitters can be purchased for about $5-$10. They should work with an amplified antenna such as the one mentioned. For an non-amplified outdoor antenna, you might want to consider a mast mounted preamp if the signal is going to be split. It depends on the antenna gain and the strength of available channels. Check the local OTA reception results thread for your location and post a TVFool report.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-17, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

I checked tv fool and it says Global is 25.3 miles from my location. Allegedly the indoor antenna I知 looking at referenced above is good up to 60 miles but who knows. CTV, CBC both come in at 100% signal according to my Bell 6141 and CBC French comes in at 75% with the cheap indoor antenna I already have.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 06:02 AM

Using that switch to inject OTA should mean you can then use a Diplexer at each Sat Receiver to pull the OTA signals out to your TV.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 07:20 AM
Veteran

Not familiar with Regina, so had to look it up.
Per tvfool and rabbitears, everything available is on VHF Hi band. CH 8,9,11,13
So, I would be careful what I do to the signal as everything is probably in an already noisy environment. For example, the cm3414 is essentially a broadband amplifier with a splitter inside designed for CATV usage with no filtering whatsoever. Which is good for strong TV signal handling, etc...
But VHF signals can be easily damaged by nearby strong FM radio stations. Unless it is filtered ahead of the amplifier before amplification.
You might wanna check out the thread on filters/diplexers,attenuators.
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-...ml#post3055879
And this thread from another forum, with some real world examples.
https://rickcaylor.websitetoolbox.co...ghlight=sister

Thinkin the stellar labs 30-2475 VHF Yagi from Newark, feeding HLSJ or FM bandstop filter, feeding CM3414 would probably do OK.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-23, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Some how I managed to get Global to come in with my indoor antenna. It痴 choppy but I知 surprised I can get it at all. Very strange. Maybe when I buy the antenna I mentioned above it will be even better.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-23, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

OTA Splitter?

64% seems to be the best I can do. I was hoping that like satellite signal anything over 50% gives you a workable signal. OTA seems to like 70% plus for a steady picture.

CTV: Steady 97%
CBC: Steady 100%
CBCF: Steady 75%
Global: 64%-63%

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-23, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe View Post
OTA seems to like 70% plus
It depends on the TV brand or tuner.

You need a good VHF antenna like a CM-5016.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-23, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

The CM-5016 looks good. Something reliable like that and I壇 probably be able to pick up a TiVo Bolt Vox and a few minis providing TiVo has Canadian guide data and it痴 not too hard to swap the HDD.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-02-23, 08:36 PM
Veteran

It would really help if you posted a TVFool report. That one is for Swift Current. It indicates that only one channel should be receivable. All the channels listed are VHF which usually makes reception more difficult. Some compact antennas do not work well with VHF.

Here is a TVFool report for Regina. It's basically the same channels but stronger. Global should be easy to receive but will suffer the same VHF issues. It being in a different direction and being slightly weaker could be issues.

The OTA reception results threads are a better place to post questions or reports about reception issues. A VHF-hi antenna would be more suitable for your location. A bidirectional antenna might be best.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-03, 04:40 PM
Veteran

TVFool report for Regina indicates that all of your strong stations on in the Hi-VHF (Ch7-13) Band, which rely on the Rabbit-Ear portion of your Indoor Antenna to receive. Be advised that your current BOTH VERTICAL configuration of the two Rods results in minimal signal output....they cancel each other out. IF any of the stations are broadcasting in either Circular or Elliptical Polarization (both Horizontal and Vertical Polarization are excited), then the Optimal configuration would be at 45-deg.

However, IF ALL are Horizontal Only Polarization, then Optimal configuration would be with both Parallel to the Ground. The Rabbit-Ears would also need to be "pointed" so that the "Beam" of the Antenna is pointed roughly East-West, which means the Tips of the Rabbit-Ears are pointed roughly North-South.

HOWEVER, if you can NOT pickup the Direct Path Signal due to Building/Terrain Blockage, you may find the Best Orientation may be something else....so rotate until you get the best reception.

IF you enter your Post Code into www.rabbitears.info SEARCH Engine and click "TV STUDY", it will list the TV Stations which you might receive. Clicking on individual CALL SIGN Letters will reveal more info, which will tell you whether they are broadcast Circular or Elliptical or simply Horizontal Polarization.

Or search for a particular CALL SIGN in the fol. lists of Circular and Elliptical Stations:
For Circular Polarization:
https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?...0&arch=&expet=
and for Elliptical Polarization:
https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?...0&arch=&expet=

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-03, 10:02 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
I just recently moved from Weyburn SK to Regina SK and in addition to Bell I知 using OTA. I can get all channels except Global with a cheap indoor antenna. I知 looking at trying this indoor antenna as it apparently will work Winegard FL5500A Flatwave Amplified antenna. If not I値l buy a outdoor one. Now I have this multi switch and wondering if this will work to split the signal reliably.
Before you split the signals, you must first get Global stronger with just one TV.
Quote:
64% seems to be the best I can do. I was hoping that like satellite signal anything over 50% gives you a workable signal. OTA seems to like 70% plus for a steady picture.

CTV: Steady 97%
CBC: Steady 100%
CBCF: Steady 75%
Global: 64%-63%
Quote:
The CM-5016 looks good.
The CM-5016 is not suitable for you. It also covers VHF-Low channels 2-6; the elements are very wide.
Quote:
I checked tv fool and it says Global is 25.3 miles from my location.
Please show us your TVFool report.

Am estimated report for you:

TV Fool

Global is not only weaker, it is also in a different direction:

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 2019-03-03 at 10:32 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-03, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

After some adjustments with the black reflector in between the two antennas turning it slowly I was able to get Global up a bit to 66-68 % with the odd drop to 64% and back up to 66-68% the signal doesn稚 usually drop out at that level unlike when I was getting 64%-60% with drop outs. I値l post a tvfool report tomorrow when I知 on my computer. What I did find totally strange was Global dropped down to 59% when I turned on my Blu-Ray player and went back up to 68% when I turned it off. Some kind of interference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in