HDHomeRun For OTA - Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 266 (permalink) Old 2013-12-03, 01:40 PM
Rookie

Correct, it's ot that complicated. I just helped the situation by (luckily) having a network run near the closet so ran through the wall so the jack was inside the closet. As for power, extension cord just outside and poked a hole through the drywall for the small end of the power cord, so the only visible part is extension cord and transformer. This way, the HDHR is accessible for testing or whatnot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 266 (permalink) Old 2013-12-03, 02:32 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by raczyk View Post
But don't you loose like 2-3 db's everytime you terminate the coax. I'd most likely terminate the attic coax to a coax wall plate.
No. A good termination should result in less than 0.5 dB of loss.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #48 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-01-30, 08:49 PM

The new HDHomeRun PLUS HDTC-2US (Transcoding, 2 Tuners) units have some new transcode configuration options that will probably appeal to folks here.

I'm excited to see the EyeTV option, myself.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/vi...hp?f=19&t=2484

Release 20140129beta1

HDHomeRun PLUS Firmware:
* Support transcoded recording in Windows Media Center (WIndows 7/8).
* Support transcoded recording in EyeTV (Mac).
* Support transcoded recording in MythTV (Linux).
* Transcode improvements.
* Fan management improvements.
* DLNA - signal content changes when favorites list or configuration changes.

To enable transcoded recordings in WMC/EyeTV/MythTV go to the device webpage, Transcode Configuration page, and set the Default Transcode Profile to the desired profile.

DB4e | CPA19 | 2 x HDTC-2US | Mac Mini | EyeTV 3
My scanning and reporting scripts here

post #49 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-08, 09:13 AM

Has anyone in Canada been able to buy the new HDHR4-US model? It isn't listed on SaveAndReplay or Newegg.ca. It is listed on Newegg.com (i.e. the US site), but they seem to be having problems with my Canadian PayPal account. I know there isn't anything wrong with that account, so I think Newegg might be forcing Canadian customers to use the Canadian site. Or maybe I am just being paranoid.

At any rate, does anyone know (from first hand experience) if the tuners in the HDHR4-US model are better than the tuners in the HDHR3-US? I don't need the transcoding features in the HDTC-2US model.

Regards.

Hugh
post #50 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-08, 10:58 AM
Veteran

If the tuner isn't any better then I would stick with the HDHR3 since it is about $100 cheaper.
post #51 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-13, 09:59 PM

Did you know? HDHomeRun has an Android app signal strength meter.

Yes, if you are familiar with the GUI that is available within HDHomeRun, if you have an android phone you can pull it up. It has both my boxes and all four tuners, you can pick the channel and tada! You have, although basic, the signal quality function on your phone. I would take a picture of it with my phone, but it's on my phone now. Just what I needed another toy! If anybody has the Tech version I would be curious if the app brought over the full detail or just the basic information.

I tired it and it works. Via wireless home network. Did not with cellular. Perfect one man antenna aiming tool.

You can also monitor several channels at once with two (4 tuners) via the GUI on your computer. This allows somebody to report back if you are seeking to balance antenna aiming among several channels.

post #52 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-14, 02:42 AM

Nice.

I use the Signal GH app on my iPhone and iPad. It supports up to 8 different tuners at the same time to compare multiple signals while making antenna adjustments.

post #53 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-14, 12:16 PM
Veteran

I'm interested in the 4 tuner product that they were talking about on the SiliconDust forums. I don't believe that one is available yet.

The primary benefit from my perspective is it'll save you hard drive space in your HTPC without needing to configure a post-recording transcoder job, which has side effects.
post #54 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-14, 02:14 PM

I just have 2 of the dual tuners, hence 4 tuners.
post #55 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-14, 02:18 PM

I thought the 4 tuner model was going to be for the prime, which is cable card, not for the astc models.

post #56 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-14, 05:20 PM

The HDHR3-CC has 3 tuners and looks very promising, but it is cable only not OTA as far as I know.
post #57 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-14, 05:47 PM

From the HDHR3-CC page:

Quote:
It is not compatible with satellite providers (DirecTV/Dish Network), IPTV providers (AT&T U-verse), or antennas.

CM4228HD, HDP269, TiVo Premiere, TiVo Roamio, TiVo Mini
post #58 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-15, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdixon View Post
At any rate, does anyone know (from first hand experience) if the tuners in the HDHR4-US model are better than the tuners in the HDHR3-US?
Got one on order and will be doing a side-by-side when it gets here and time permits.

- Trip

RabbitEars.Info
Comments are my own and not that of my employer (the FCC) or anyone else.
post #59 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-20, 07:22 PM
Rookie

Can anyone speak to the quality of the tuner in the HD Home Run model HDHR3-US?
post #60 of 266 (permalink) Old 2014-02-21, 10:13 PM

mkruger,

I am currently using two HDHR3-US (i.e. 4 tuners) with my HTPC. I also have the earlier HDHR-US and an HDHR3-TECH. However WMC only allows 4 tuners, so I don't use the other tuners much. I have compared the HDHR3-US with the tuner in my 55-inch 1-year old Samsung Series 6 LED TV. I think the Samsung tuner is better, but of course I can't record anything with it. The HDHR3-US tuners certainly aren't the best tuners available. I use them because of the easy connection to my home network.

However the "quality" of the tuner is only an issue with marginal signals. Strictly speaking, you should compare the tuners at the same time with the same signal, over a reasonably long period of time. This is hard to do if you have to switch between tuners and watch each for a few minutes at a time.

This is where programs like the ones listed above come in. You can compare how well the external tuners decode the marginal signals over a period of time. I am working on my own version of such a program, but it isn't ready for "prime time" yet. (This isn't the SDR-dongle program. That is something else.)

I am eagerly waiting for Trip's comparison of the HDHR3-US and HDHR4-US tuners (from post 58). I expect that others will be posting their results soon as well. I talked to Save and Replay (i.e. the Canadian distributer) today. They expect the HDHR4-US on Wednesday. If the actual User reviews are favourable, I will probably get an HDHR4-US as well. The manufacturer says the new tuner is better, but I want to see an actual User review first. I really hope that the HDHR4-US is significantly better than the HDHR3-US, since most of my signals are marginal. Up here, there is a 50% increase in price for the HDHR4-US ($150) compared to the HDHR3-US ($100). I expect the percentage increase would be the similar in the U.S.

I also have the 950Q and 2250 tuners from Hauppauge, and a few other USB tuners from other manufacturers. I don't use them much since I don't have a permanently routed RG6 cable to my HTPC computer. In my case, connecting the HDHR tuners to the network was a lot easier than routing an RG6 cable to the computer. However the 950Q and 2250 seem to get good reviews.

So all of this rambling brings me to my final suggestion. I suggest waiting until the HDHR4-US is compared to the HDHR3-US, and to other "good" PC-based tuners like the 950Q and the 2250. These comparisons should be coming in soon. I would like to add support for these PC-based tuners to my program. However I haven't had the time to figure out how to "talk" to them. Talking to the HDHR tuners is much easier.

Regards,

Hugh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in