Any interest in a Toronto OTA meet up? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-03-27, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Question Any interest in a Toronto OTA meet up?

We cut the cable more than two years ago and think it's great. I think it would be interesting to meet other folks who are thinking of cutting the cable or have already done so.

Any interest in setting up an OTA meet up in Toronto?

Bill
My blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-03-27, 09:56 PM
Rookie

Toronto OTA meet up

Good idea! I would definitely attend.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-03-28, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

If I can get at least eight people interested in a GTA meetup I'd be happy to arrange it.

Better yet if I could get Peter Near (a member here) to join us.

Bill
My blog

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-03-28, 12:57 PM

Interested but, being at 401 and Neilson relying on TTC for transportation, everything depends on location and time.

IMHO a location like Yonge and Sheppard would probably attract from all directions whereas Yonge and King would probably attract mainly downtowners.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-03-28, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

I'll make sure it's along the subway line. Yonge & Sheppard is good for me. I'm in the East end of the GTA.

Bill
My blog
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-03-28, 11:08 PM

Depending where it will be, I may be interested. I'm in Brampton and seeing a number
of antennas going up, and who knows how many have attic installs. I just found out
recently that my neighbor has an attic install as well. Brampton being on high ground is
a great place for OTA.

Attic install, Antennas Direct DB8e/VHF Retrofit, CM7777(old) preamp. Over 25 stations solid. Cable free since May 2011.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 05:30 PM
Rookie

Location: Brampton, Eagle star 53-6165-1V Antenna, KZ-200 peamp in the attic
I am also in Brampton. Very good idea. I am in......
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 10:37 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
I will relay the expereinces from the Ottawa (Kanata) meet and greet to help you out. The first meeting (which I was unable to attend) was in a member's home (I guess there was an antenna building party at another member's home years before that), but subsequent meetings have been in the back room of a pub. They will usually let you use it for free as long as people are buying drinks and/or food. We may not have been the biggest spenders they have had, but most if not all bought at least one drink and they seemed happy with that.

As for presentations, while most meetings have had some formal presentations, we also left time for informal discussions, which were also as if not more valuable. One of our meetings didn't have any presentations and was strictly discussion, and that seemed to go over well also, so if you can't get anyone to present something, don't let that stop you from meeting. If you do have presentations, insist they are kept short (20-30 min max) and don't be afraid to cut them off if the run much over that.

The most important thing is you need someone to spearhead the meeting (set a date and venue) and decide on an itinerary. It isn't too much work, but someone has to do it.

I hope you have a great meeting, and look forward to hearing back from you about it! I wish I could attend.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2013-05-01, 12:19 PM

I might be able to make it depending on date/time. Birchmount/Danforth area here, I've subscribed to the thread so I'll see updates.

I'd be into a competition..pick a date/time and then scan for channels..whomever scans in the most channels wins. A new fashioned shootout.

Tags
meet up , ota , toronto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in