Remote OTA antenna feed? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-05-09, 02:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperbcit
I am located in a valley and can only get 7 OTA TV signals. At the top of the hill from where I live I was able to get 20+ OTA channels. The distance is a 3-4 min drive, so too far to string a cable. My question is there a way that I could have the antenna at the top of the hill and somehow capture the signal via the internet and access it on my computer at home?
Similar to this idea, I have read, on the internet, an article that describes a small community, down in a valley, in a remote location, that is in a similar situation.

They did like a re-broadcast setup.

They described how they set up a community receiving antenna up on the high hill, and then connected that back to back with another directional antenna aimed and beam (re-transmit) that signal down in the direction of the community - to be received by all down there in the valley - via their regular antennas.

They needed "isolation" between the two back to back antennas, up high on the hill. (probably both physical and electrical isolation)

... and I think a little bit of amplification between the two, to boost up the received signal to be re-transmitted down towards the community down in the valley below.

some of the isolation between the two antennas, was achieved by using directional antennas, and by putting the antennas on either side of the hill peak.

this is like a radio re-broadcast type setup.

this is old stuff, old school stuff, used long ago, used in pretty remote locations - I think - where this sort of setup (retransmission like that) is not likely to interfere with the reception of anyone else - since there's so few others around.

... serving just that little community way down below in the valley, and affecting no one else around - based on the specific situation and terrain.

[ ? like, example, a little fishing village, very remote location, way down in a valley, like an inlet, or fjord, off the ocean, or river valley, with high hills all around, and no signals down in the valley, but signals up high on the surrounding peaks ... so able to do this sort of thing - and giving them the only reception and TV link possible with the outside world ! ]

[ I forget where it was, in the British Isles I think, some remote little town, someone had set this up, long ago in the past, according to what I remember of that article I read ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-05-09, 02:22 PM
Veteran

Searched and found one example online:

http://www.matthewsworkbench.com/passive-tv-repeater/
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-05-09, 02:29 PM
Veteran

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-05-09, 03:21 PM
Veteran

FWIW, here is how I would do it.

Head end:
  • Antenna on top of hill connected to HDHomerun tuner(s).
  • HDHomerun connected to 2.4/5GHZ router with removable external antennas.
  • Router connected to high gain directional WiFi antenna(s).
Receiving end:
  • High gain directional WiFi antenna(s) connected to 2.4/5GHZ router with removable external antennas.
  • Router connected to LAN
  • Internet TV, HTPC, media players, etc connected to LAN.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-05-09, 04:09 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvanwinkles
Similar to this idea, I have read, on the internet, an article that describes a small community, down in a valley, in a remote location, that is in a similar situation.

They did like a re-broadcast setup.
I think you are referring to the Fort St. James TV Society in northern BC that run a licensed, CRTC-approved OTA TV system:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=137723 (Post #5, replying to Post #1)

post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 2014-05-11, 02:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
that run a licensed, CRTC-approved OTA TV system
Running an unlicensed system could result in having to shut it down (at best) and legal hassles (at worst.)

Tags
antenna , internet , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in