TV Broadcast Towers & Transmitters (photos, vids) - Page 21 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #301 of 312 (permalink) Old 2012-12-12, 08:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaker View Post
I'm sorry to be the naysayer, but the skeptic in me does not allow me to believe this "photo" that gives no location of the tower, no name of the tower owner, no idea of who took the photo, etc., etc.

I figure it must be located in either the Town of Strange, Ontario or in the Unbelievable Acres Botanical Park, Florida.

HDTV101, If this is a fraudulent photo, I'm afraid you may have unintentionally assisted by not giving us the source where you found the image.
Actually I didn't post the photo in this thread. I posted it in its own thread I started called "Amazing Photo" I guess the Mod moved it here being a tower photo... the photo was from another forums funny photo thread... I thought it was very unique, it must have been shot using a panoramic camera turned 90 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 312 (permalink) Old 2013-01-11, 01:23 PM
Premium Supporter

Extreme weather at the transmission site of WCFE Plattsburgh, N.Y. It's a wild photo.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1

This is a public Facebook photo, so it should be visible to everyone.
post #303 of 312 (permalink) Old 2013-01-14, 01:31 PM

downbeat: that picture is insane!

post #304 of 312 (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 02:28 AM
Premium Supporter

I know!
It was only on the second look at the picture that I noticed a transmitter technician in there, too. As you say … insane!!
post #305 of 312 (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 02:37 AM
Premium Supporter

Top of the Eiffel Tower … very cool antenna array there. The tourist info panels at the top say some of the the antennas were replaced in 2000 for digital TV service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7284sm.jpg (46.8 KB, 284 views)
post #306 of 312 (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 10:53 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Huh. The last time I was in Europe I was taking pictures of antennas, but somehow never thought to look at the Eiffel tower. Some of those arrays seem awfully close to the viewing gallery. Either they are very low power or the regulations in France aren't as strict.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #307 of 312 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 03:22 AM
Premium Supporter

From memory, those antennas are just a little bit closer to tourists than the ones at the top of the Empire State Building in New York.
post #308 of 312 (permalink) Old 2013-03-13, 03:21 AM

CTV Tower - Bulb Change.

Bulb change video clip atop the CTV Tower Calgary.

149 Meters to the top.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=877603
post #309 of 312 (permalink) Old 2013-05-31, 10:22 AM

Wow ... months to fix an antenna??? Not really sure what an "exciter" is but it makes me a bit nervous for the next time a massive storm hits Mount Mansfield VT ...

Quote:
MontrealOTA ‏@MontrealOTA 54m

Scary to think that broadcast antenna expertise is in such short demand. Check this out: #OTA #antenna http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/damaged-richmond-antenna-could-be-months-away-from-repair_b92152 … via @tvspynews

I found more info on the original damage here
post #310 of 312 (permalink) Old 2013-05-31, 10:51 AM
Veteran

FYI, generally in broadcasting, an exciter is the piece of hardware that makes the signal to be broadcast, and for practical purposes is more or less a transmitter in its own right, but with only a few hundred watts out. It gets fed to the transmitter amplifier, which amplifies that to several thousand watts to feed the antenna.

ETA: It seems it could be an element of the antenna which feeds the signal from the feedline into the antenna array, where it does its magic as a system to provide "gain".
post #311 of 312 (permalink) Old 2014-01-21, 10:06 PM
Rookie

The Rogers towers in Byron (West London) http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=241 have been taken down. I recently drove by there during the day and realized they were gone. I'm not sure when they came down.
post #312 of 312 (permalink) Old 2014-01-22, 11:22 PM

David Jones on the EEVblog recently did a tour and look at a recently decommissioned analog transmitter in Australia. He even got a few of the modules to do a more detailed look at later.

The video can be found at http://www.eevblog.com/2014/01/17/ee...sion-facility/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in