Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Can't record any digital channels on Shaw via Firewire - help please.
View Single Post
post #49 of (permalink) Old 2008-08-21, 02:23 AM
HDPC44
Rookie

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I've been browsing the forums forever for an answer and am out of luck.

I am having the exact same issue as purespin. I recently got my dct-3416 and i have tried connecting to my htpc via a firewire cable. I am not able to get the htpc to detect the pvr. Also similar to purespin, under the diagnostics, my firewire is enabled but not active.

I have tried exchanging cables and my htpc firewire port has also been tested and is working. I can only think of the firewire port on my 3416 to be off.

I gave shaw technical support a call to inquire about the firewire port and indeed he told me that Shaw has TURNED OFF the firewire ports on ALL DVRs because of copyright related reasons. He also says that the firewire enable/disable is controlled by the firmware and there is nothing that he can do about it.

Now correct me if im wrong, but this is contrary to everything i've been seeing on these boards. People are able to use the firewire ports (5c protection is another story). Can anybody provide me with some feedback as to what i can do now?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome