Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Phone App

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ogorek 
#1 ·
Hi, my son does not get good cell signal when he is in his room in the basement. We want to get rid of the landline as no one uses it.
Does anyone know of an app he can put on his phone that people can call from their pots landline? Mostly my parents, his grandparents. They are not tech savvy enough to use things such as Messenger, WhatsApp etc.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

#2 ·
There are a number of free phone apps that use wifi. The one I am using right now is called TextNow. They supply a free phone number that uses local wifi (or cell plan data) to make or receive free calls and texts like any other phone. It integrates free calling and free texting into one app with a single number. Many of the other apps I've tried offer one of the two for free and charge for the other. I've also had line issues with a couple of the more popular free phone apps.

#7 ·
Fongo is probably the best, IMO. Free calling for most of Canada. Voice mail. Texting is extra but affordable. Choose a number from across the country.

#8 ·
I've read a bit about WhatsApp. It seems a lot of people worldwide use it, but I'm not sure many use it in Canada? My understanding is you can phone or text others with the App on WiFi? Any comments? Do lots of people use this? I assume it costs nothing - free download and free on any WiFi (outside of applicable bandwidth)

I rarely made calls or texted with my 9-year-old flip phone, however, I just acquired an iPhone 5S (for free from a friend), so I may use it a bit more, although I still don't expect to use it a lot and will very likely stay on my grandfathered "Anytime" $10/mo plan, that has only cost me about $70/year over the last 9 years.

#9 ·
It depends on what you want to accomplish. WhatsApp is a full featured messenger service that allows texting, voice calls, video calls and more between WhatsApp users. As far as I can determine, it is not compatible with standard cellular voice calling or SMS texting. It uses internet data so a data plan or wifi must be available. WhatsApp uses the same number as the cellphone plan provider to create a username.

If the aim is to communicate with any cellphone user, not just WhatsApp users, there are a number of apps that that support standard VoIP and SMS texting over a data plan or wifi. I use TextNow but there are lots of others available. These apps usually supply a separate phone number which is used in place of the provider number when using wifi. The main issue with these are possible poor voice quality and loss of phone number if not used regularly. Some charge US$10/yr for extra features or long term phone number assignment.

Other issues...

WhatsApp is considered to be a major disruptive force in the cellphone services market. WhatsApp is known to actively block users of other, similar apps such as Telegraph which attempt to be compatible. With over one billion WhatsApp users, it has been suggested that may be anti-competitive.

WhatsApp is owned by Facebook. It collects user data, such as messaging or phone contacts information, and shares it with Facebook for advertising and other uses. Although Facebook claims to have stopped such practices, that information may be accessible by other companies.

#11 ·
WhatsApp is owned by Facebook. It collects user data, such as messaging or phone contacts information, and shares it with Facebook for advertising and other uses. Although Facebook claims to have stopped such practices, that information may be accessible by other companies.
This was also a concern for me. Since I talk/text so little, I may just pay the PAYGo fees on the rare occasions I use them. Depending on how things go, I could also consider one of the Talk/Text plans...

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/...ss-_-pay_as_you_go-_-plans_banner#,Tabset1--1

Or:

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/paygo_promotions_monthlydiscount

#12 ·
I use the following plan. Petro-Canada Mobility Anytime Plan. It's intended for light cellphone users. The $25/120 day top up works out to about $80/yr. Unused balances carry over which is good for people who have only occasional high phone usage such as for vacations or emergencies. Rates are currently .15/.30/.15 per text/minute/Mb. It was .05 cheaper when I signed up. It's on Rogers network. The data service seems a little flaky when first turned on but works eventually. Not sure why but I rarely use it. There are no free texts or minutes so it's strictly pay per use. If a lot of mobile data or texting is required, other carriers have much better deals.

#13 ·
This is an old topic but it may help someone. When travelling I use CSip Simple mentioned above setup as a sub-account to my VoIP account (voip.ms). Through WiFi anywhere in the world it uses your VoIP provider to make phone calls at your VoIP providers rates as you would be calling from home. Calling between VoIP sub-accounts is free.
At home VoIP is the cheapest way to call with the limitation of your internet connection. If your internet goes down, your VoIP goes down with it.
Cell phone plan from Petro-Canada Mobility described by ExDilbert above is one of the cheapest. For convenience and security cheap cell phone plan is a must have.
Ideally combination of cheap cell phone plan for occasional use and emergency, and VoIP account are the best way to setup a home phone system on a budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.