Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Weighing the Switch: BellAliant to VOIP

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  CodyG102 
#1 ·
Having spent quite a few hours poring over the various posts on these forums concerning the switch to VOIP from a conventional landline, I'm looking for some advice specific to my situation. While there's a LOT of information on here, much of it is quite dated (2010-11) and I'd like a better sense of the situation in 2017.

There appear to be several pitfalls to watch out for from what I've read:
(1) service quality & reliability varies somewhat between vendors,
(2) number portability can be an issue and requires care, &
(3) there are simply too many players to choose from to make an easy choice (other than avoiding the known 'spammers' on principle).
I expect that my final decision (a.k.a. #3) will be heavily weighted by #2 - pretty much non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned - and #1 in that order

On to specifics. I'm currently stuck with a "sole supplier" situation with BellAliant as my only option for both my landline and DSL - and their service level and prices both reflect the fact they hold a de-facto monopoly in this area :mad:. From what I've read, this means I'm looking at having to set-up a "dry loop" for my DSL first and then porting my existing phone number (which I REALLY want to keep) to my chosen VOIP service.

What I'm looking for now is some recent experiences from people who have gone through this specifically dealing with BellAliant on the east coast because, although the two companies (Bell & BellAliant) have effectively merged in all but name, my recent experience suggest there still remain some vestiges of their former selves (particularly in policies & procedures) which might effect the experience.

Any relevant input would certainly be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
My recommendation would be to first do your research on potential VOIP providers. My selection was largely determined by overall rates followed a search on their reputation. Once you have a short list contact them about current situation and ask for their advise on how to proceed to successfully port your number and transfer the service with no interruptions. They are in the best position too guide you to a success transfer.

While you are at it ask them how well their service would work with the speed of your DSL service. I have had zero issues with quality or service from my provider since switching in last January. But all this is dependent on reliable internet service.

#3 ·
What about "VOIP Spear" tests?

Thanks for the response Bplayer; you've successfully summarized where I'm at and my dilemma at the moment. After reading through numerous posts in these forums, I understand the process but I'm trying to find out what problems others may have experienced with my telco in particular.

BellAliant is not known for its' cooperative nature or the quality of their off-shored tech support as I outlined previously in my postings about my struggles to get an upgraded DSL service from them - I eventually got it but it was a drawn-out, seven month ordeal I'd just as soon not repeat. I'd like to be "well armed" going in to this exercise!

What have peoples experiences been with "VOIP Spear" quality tests and how useful/accurate they've been, especially their free 'personal' testing. I think that's the next thing I'm going to look into just to confirm the quality of my DSL line. Packet loss, latency, jitter, etc. are certainly annoyances when dealing with data but they're obviously going to play a bigger part in the voice experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.