Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Diary of a switch to voip

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bplayer 
#1 ·
Here is my diary of the switch from a Bell land line to voip (day numbers shown).

1: Purchased a Cisco SPA122 at a reasonable price, just missing a $10 off Boxing Week special.
2: Contracted for VoipMuch service
3: emailed the signed phone number port request form
8: Received VoipMuch user account information (porting will be in 7-14 working days)
8: Configured ATA with account settings. Outbound calls possible
15: Received confirmation of phone number porting on day 19
19: Phone number ported. Incoming calls over voip active. The service is working as expected.
19: Cancelled Bell phone service (they pushed hard to try to get me not to cancel). As has been stated many times, do not cancel your phone service before porting is complete.

I adjusted my Bell account on day 3, incorrectly dropping the $10 long distance package, thinking it was for oversea/US calling discounts. Unfortunately it was for Can/US long distance and in 5 days we ran up ~$70 in LD charges, an expensive mistake. Bell's rates are beyond outrageous!!!!

I chose the SPA122 over SPA112 or vendor offered ATA. The SPA122 is being used in SPA112 mode rather than native mode as the available LAN port eliminated the need for a gigabit switch in my communications box. This allows the connected wired device to communication with the other devices on the LAN or wireless, and wireless connection to the SPA122 login page.

The immediate benefits of this voip service are lower overall monthly rates (at least 50% lower than Bell's discounted package), email of any voicemail, use of a softphone on a PC when traveling when the ATA is turned off.

See less See more
#5 ·
Happy VoIPMuch customer

I switched from Eastlink landline phone service ($60.65 a month!!!) to VoIPMuch in December 2017. I took the ATA included offer and had my Eastlink number (was a Bell number ported to Eastlink) ported over to VoIPMuch which took 14 days.

System works extremely well and calls are clear with little if any voice delays. And since this service includes all North America calling it's a bargain at $10.65 a month.

#6 ·
Hi Morden2004, $10.65 is a great deal per month. I have been looking for a VoIP Provider which includes North American calling for quite some time and no body seemed to refer anyone in particular they just told me to go with one of the big VoIP companies and told me the long distance is cheap, well I don't want Cheap LD I want to PAY for a long distance package like unlimited North America. finally you referred me to a good company I will have a look at VoIP Much. How do they bill you? do they send you invoice? can you pay the invoice at the bank?

#7 ·
I have been using VoipMuch for over a year with zero issues. They respond promptly to any online support questions/requests.

Invoicing with details is via email, and the charges are billed to a credit card.

Another benefit is the ability to take my number/service with me when traveling. Just turn off the ATA when leaving home and use a PC or smartphone that is internet connected to make all your calls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.