Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Need advice on sip trunking

Tags
voip
3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jb_008 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

I work with a warehousing firm. We are using landline and cell services for communicating with our different warehouses and offices. There is a discussion going on to change our telecom network. The firm is considering sip trunking service for cutting down telecom cost. I know voip but not too much about sip trunking. I read that you can use sip on any devices like computer, smart phone or any voip phones and provide multiple channels for telephony. Can someone give me a clear picture about it? It will be much appreciated.

#3 ·
I know voip but not too much about sip trunking.
SIP trunking is how you connect your PBX to the phone network. In the past, analog phone lines, T1s or ISDN PRIs were used. Your VoIP phone would then connect to the PBX. Unlike traditional methods, SIP trunks don't tie you to a specific location. You can be anywhere that can be reached with a decent Internet connection, as mentioned above.

#4 ·
Sip trunks pretty much are a virtual way of trunking phone service in. Usually you would either manage or have someone manage the pbx, and a telecom would provide you the sip trunk... There is options as well like managed pbx's where the telecom provider sets everything up for you, and hosts the pbx server off site in their server farm, this way you have nothing to manage. Both have their advantages and disadvantages... One nice thing to is if you have warehouses in different cities/calling areas, you can tie things together so that people can call into local phone numbers but be able to reach people at other warehouses in different cities... You can also call between ext in different cities...

The one thing you do need is a reliable internet connection if you are going do a sip trunk and host your own stuff. If your internet goes down well so does your phone system. A hosted pbx calls can be re-routed to other extensions or call forwarded if the internet goes down and people will still get your greeting and be able to leave a vm...

Another thing too is your internal network. Setting up a voice vlan to keep your data and voice traffic is a good idea too. It allows you to lock down/secure the phones, give them qos... Nothing worse than choppy phone calls, but setting up systems correctly, people will not even know that you are on voip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.