Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Corded Voip phone

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  gzink 
#1 ·
Hi people

I have been using voip for quite awhile now. I was with Comwave then recently moved to Tektalk. I have a set of Philips CD445 wireless handsets, I got those because it runs on AAA rechargeables. We hardly used the phone but recently my mom in-law moved in and we find she is complaining that she can't talk as long as she would like.

Tektalk supplied me with a Grandstream HT502. I have the Philips CD445 base station connected to the Grandstream HT502 and I just place the other handsets where I think they would be needed.

However I am looking for a corded solution that runs off mains power. That way I don't have to worry about batteries dying when call. When not in use the phones sit in their charging cradles and I think that contributes to the short lifespan of the rechargeable batteries.

I am also using ADSL so the "pots" plugs would have ADSL signals.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thx

#2 ·
The Grandstream HT502 is your ATA; you can connect just about any regular phone to your ATA. I would recommend something like this, a corded/cordless handset. The corded handset doesn't run off of battery, so it can be used for those really long phone calls, while you still have the convenience of a cordless handset for all the other calls.

The limitation of the corded handset, though, is that the wired handset would need to be located next to the Grandstream, where your Philips base station is now. In exchange for unlimited talk time, your mom-in-law would be stuck in the computer room for the duration of the call.

The other option, is simply to continue using cordless handsets, and switch handsets when the battery on one gets low. This wouldn't give you unlimited talk time, but it would significantly increase the maximum length of her phone call.

#3 ·
Thx tux

I might be able to get away with 1 x corded unit. While I was researching I came across some diagrams that use a switch. I do happen to have a 24 port Netgear switch with a few spare ports.

I suppose that is a IP-PBX and would be very expensive. That would be perfect for me. I will look into your suggestion as I could get away with 1 x wall powered phone.

Came across this older article

Thx again

#5 ·
Expanding on what Paolo suggested, if your DSL modem is not located at your service entry you could wire the incoming DSL signal to use the line 2 wire pair of your house wiring, disconnect the line 1 pair, and then at your DSL modem you hook up a jack or adapter to use line 2 to feed the DSL. Then your ATA plugs into any phone jack, and your line 1 wire pair throughout the house is connected to the ATA, and completely disconnected from Bell. If your DSL modem is right at the service entry, then you don't need to worry about the different pairs...you plug in the DSL, and keep the rest of the house wiring separate.

I did something similar in my last house.

#6 ·
Thx Paolo and s.crawford

I am considering using the internal pots wiring from Bell. I would have to move all my equipment (Modem/Router/Switch/ATA to where the line comes into the house. So where the line comes in before it gets to the grey distribution box, I will cut it there and put jacks on both ends. Then have the incoming side got into the Modem and the other side into the ATA. That way I still have my ADSL signal and all the jacks can then take std corded phones.

That way I don't have to run any new wires at all. Then if I sell the house I can just use a joiner like this and the incoming line will function as it did before.

The other option was to use IP phones. I do have all that is needed other than IP phones. Either way I would have to buy corded phones and IP phones are only slightly more. I already have the ATA and a 24 port switch and ethernet ports close to where the phones currently are. I would have to use a dedicated unit like a Pi/Zotac to run the software IP-PBX. There is a diagram showing how the infrastructure looks like. This method would give massive functionality and I would not have to touch the incoming pots line. I am fortunate to have all the necessary hardware other than the phones, which in any case I will have to get. Also means I do not have to relocate all the hardware and still keep them closeby for easy resetting.

While researching I came across free software, Not worth it if you have to buy a machine in to run the software, however itis not a bad project to re-purpose an old PC. 3CX, or Asterisk for windows

#8 · (Edited)
@ s.crawford

Thx, yes, I understand.

What I have the incoming wire that goes into the grey box. From that grey box I have 2 wires going into a white box (line TR)and from there 2 wires (Modem TR) going to the jacks in the house.

So, since the white box already has Jacks on the other side, labeled (phone/Line/modem) there I can just use a double ended cable and go to the modem. I essentially treat the white box as a wall jack. Then I can disconnect the 2 wires that are going to the jacks and terminate that one and put it into the ATA. That's a less destructive version of me cutting the incoming line :)

Since the incoming line is in the basement I will have to move some/all of the equipment down there. However I do have 2 x wired machines which I would have to run 1 x ethernet to the main floor and put the switch/router there.

Thx for all the suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.