Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New troubles with VoIP

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Voilla 
#1 ·
Hi there,

After months of working fine both of my phones (Aastra 480i) are experiencing one of the following:

> I dial out, it rings once and disconnets
> I dial out, rings several times and suddenly everything is quiet. I have impression that other party picked up line but I hear nothing. Don't know if they hear me
> People maybe call me but how can I be sure that some of above is not happening with incoming calls as well

I didn't change anything in network or any other setup that i know of.
Any ideas? Is there a software tool to measure performance of the VoiP connection (line)?
I used speedtest.net and got 3.5/0.5 on DSL line. That is about all I can do. By the way I use Anveo.

#2 ·
Voip is like the Bermuda triangle.Lots of weird unexplained stuff happens.Happens to me at Random.Not really sure if its at my end or the other persons end,is it the Internet Connection at my end or something else at the other end.All I know is that if you need something 100% reliable then VOIP IS NOT FOR YOU.

#4 ·
These symptoms most often (but not always) indicate a poorly performing router. Why it's happening all of a sudden with no apparent changes I could not say.

1) What router do you use?
2) If your router is separate from your modem, have you verified that your router's WAN IP is a public IP address, and that your modem is not also acting as a router?
3) Anveo had isolated system issues this morning; how long has the problem been happening?

All I know is that if you need something 100% reliable then VOIP IS NOT FOR YOU.
I require reliability, and my VoIP is extremely reliable. I aim for a three nines of uptime (8.75 hours of downtime per year) and often do better - 99.95% is my record. In fact, because of Telus POTS issues in my area earlier this year, (POTS was down, ADSL was up) my VoIP setup is currently more reliable than POTS.

If you are having issues with your VoIP equipment, you are welcome to start a new thread with the specifics and someone will try to assist you.

m.

#3 ·
I'm not familiar with your voip hardware, but I'm sure if must have some sort of error/event logging. Have you checked?

#5 ·
VoIP is very sensitive to various network issues. You can have really good uptime, however your VoIP quality can still be affected by some other issue on your network.

In my experience, the biggest problem causing voice quality is the end user's network. Specifically, the problem is usually periods of packet loss or high latency. These problems are typically intermittent -- they come and go -- so your VoIP quality fluctuates.

Usually, the hardware (router, etc) isn't to blame although it's a good idea to power cycle to hardware just to be on the safe side.

Here is a good checklist of some things you can do to troubleshoot:
1. Power cycle your router, modem, etc.
2. Consider whether you are doing backups over your Internet connection, downloading or streaming music, or anything else that might use alot of bandwidth.
3. Turn off all computers and other devices other than your VoIP phone so you can isolate the issue.
4. Run VoIP Spear or Ping Plotter for a long period of time to see if this spots a problem with your Internet connection.

#6 ·
If you are using Voip phone system, there are chances that you can experience poor call quality. Your VoIP service provider should be good enough to identify the cause and correct it as soon as possible. Below are the 5 main VoIP issues that may occur while using VoIP phones:

1. Latency issue - When packets are held in queue due to network congestion, result is delay in VoIP network. Or if there is too much usage of bandwidth, latency or delay issue occurs. Prioritizing VoIP traffic over the network is one of great way to resolve this issue.

2. Poor internet connection
3. Inadequate Router
4. Internal Network Improperly configured

You can use following steps to resolve the above mentioned issues:

1. Make sure you have active Internet connection
2. Ensure that your VoIP phone is active
3. Check and configure your router settings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.