Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

TekSavvy TekTalk (VoIP) Experiences

98K views 86 replies 37 participants last post by  the_refleks_78 
#1 ·
This thread is for discussion of TekSavvy' TekTalk service by subscribers only. Please share your experiences. How was the installation and setup? How does the service compare to your last telephone provider? Do the advertised features work? How well were customer service issues resolved?

#84 ·
i finally sorted out. ATA--bridged--belkin router has a ddns option witch registered my voip account just had to put domain voip name& activate the option. finally put the ATA mac ad in the firewall authorized. Voila. The ATA is where i wanted it...modem to router-- ATA(wan) to router(lan)
Thank's

#86 ·
Another new TekTalk customer

Switched from Bell POTS to TekTalk this week... absolutely no problems, and it's a third the price. To boot, my parents called me up about an hour after I had it up and running and said I was "nice and loud and clear."

For the record, I'm a TekSavvy cable internet subscriber (Cable 10 Lite), and my setup goes (cable modem) -> (phone box) -> (router). No discernable impact on my internet speed, either.

(I figure I should probably come on here and say that everything went well... because it seems like the only people that ever get on and talk about anything are the people that have problems. Knock on wood, none so far for me!)

#87 ·
My little nightmare

I want to share my experience with TekSavvy, which is a misnomer, by the way.

My mom got tired of being shafted by Telus, so I persuaded her to switch to TekSavvy Internet. In the end Telus ended up cutting her phone off too, even though she didn't request it. Instead of dealing with Telus, I told her to get the $10 plan from Teksavvy.

Everything was good while she had the temp phone #. Then on the porting day, her ATA stopped working. Two days of pointless troubleshooting with their tech support yielded nothing. They just read from the script asking to do endless reboots and resets. Thank God for these forums - I was able to find the solution. I installed Zoiper and verified her SIP username and password are correct. After I was able to register her account on Zoiper and tested it, I did the following steps (after uninstalling Zoiper):

1. Connect a PC to the LAN port of the HT502 and leave the WAN port vacant.
2. Factory reset the HT502 by pushing the reset button until the lights go off.
3. Once the HT502 boots up, turn the PC on - it will grab an IP from it.
4. Open a browser on the PC, go to 192.168.2.1 and enter the factory admin password (admin)
5. Go to ADVANCED SETTINGS and delete the URL for "Config Server Path" - very important!
6. Go to BASIC SETTINGS and change your "Device Mode" to "Bridge" - now you can use your ATA between router and PC.
7. Save and reboot both the HT502 and your PC. Connect the WAN port of the HT502 to your router - HT502 and your PC will grab IP's from the router.
8. Now you can access HT502 from any PC on your network. I added DHCP reservation for it.
9. Open your browser and go to the new IP for the HT502. Configure FXS PORT1 using settings from TekSavvy's site.
https://help.teksavvy.com/hc/en-us/articles/202340554-Grandstream-HT502-Line-1-Configuration
The only thing I did different was change "NAT Traversal" to "Keep Alive", but I am not sure it is necessary.
10. Use username and password that worked with Zoiper.

In my case, apparently, TekSavvy's auto-config was using temporary phone and password, instead of the ported one.

By using "Bridge" mode, my HT502 and one PC use only one port from the router. Here is my final setup:

Internet-Router-ATA (Bridge)-PC
Router-PC
Router-PC
Router-PS3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.