Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Which IP Phone are you using and why?

Tags
ip phone
29K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  JamesK 
#1 ·
Now that I have been using VoIP.ms for sometime, I'm interested in getting an IP phone.

I'm interested in knowing what IP phones members are using with their VoIP provider and why.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Let's keep this discussion on residential use.

#2 ·
I've used the Aastra 9112i (now discontinued), the Aastra 9480i and the Snom M9 DECT cordless.

By far, my favourite is the Aastra 9112i...it's carrier grade, solid as a rock and easy to use. The 9480i shares all the same attributes, but as a 4-line business phone, it's inherently more complicated a and cumbersome. It also doesn't require POE (AC adaptor instead), so I don't need to put costly injectors in my structured cabling system.

I will not be purchasing any more Snom phones...the recommended FW upgrade bricked my phone and it took tech support three days to send me an old FW file. Besides that, they are extremely light and don't have the sturdy feel that I like.

Im going to bench some Grandstream units next to see how they might fit in at the low end of the market. I'm also considering Cisco, but they usually require POE, so I might pass.

#3 ·
Gigaset S675IP

Using the Gigaset S675IP because it is wireless using DECT and combines a POTS line with 2 VoIP lines. We also got an extra handset (it will allow up to 6 per base).

Since we had to keep the normal line for the alarm this automatically routes local calls, 911 and 800 calls to the POTS line and everything else to the VoIP provider. No re-wiring necessary.

#4 ·
I use a Cisco SPA-921. The reason why I bought it is because it looked like the phones Jack Bauer used in "24". Was that a bad reason to make a purchasing decision? Yes it was, and I'm especially irritated with myself because I rarely succumb to such advertising. It's an adequate phone with decent audio quality, but other products have more/better features (better failover options, XML browser, backlight, G.722) for a similar or even better price.

I've extensively read documentation for Aastra's IP phones and have been very impressed. They're even a Canadian company. I believe AV Trev is an Aastra dealer. If you have any questions that we can't answer I could ask him to stop by this thread.

m.

#6 ·
I currently use the SPA942 phones along with 2 SPA504G phones made by Linksys/Cisco. I find they work well, but I haven't investigated any others. Like Mango mentioned there's no failover settings. I haven't had any big issues with them. Audio is clear. I learned to provision the ones I had in a remote location. That's a cool feature. I'm not sure if all IP phones can be provisioned from remote.

#10 ·
for the purpose of this discussion, No it does not.

technically, every Smartphone is an IP phone when you have a VoIP app installed.

This thread is about landbased IP phones used in homes or small offices hence my "residential" ps in post #1.

#12 ·
I went with Cisco SPA504G and am quite happy with it. I ended buying a POE Ethernet switch too which cuts out a power adaptor. I have upgraded with the latest firmware.

Only complaints: Phone cord should be longer and although it's a four line phone, I've only been able to get two lines going. I'm sure its a configuration issue but I haven't figured it out since I only need two lines at this time.

#13 ·
Hi there, I am using Aastra 480i x 4 phones. Satisfied with them. I would like to have a Bluetooth wireless adapter for my phone but they told me that lifter doesn't fit.
At one time I bought 2 Polycom 650 IP phones one after another. Just beautiful looking, loaded with all kinds of features. Both failed within minutes after install. They told me that I have to run specially configured PC on the same network and run specific software where to Polycom phone will look at, save configurations and something in that respect. For life of me I could not install all the firmware updates and configurations so I returned both phones back and got refund.

#14 · (Edited)
IP phones for the family

My residential use case requires the ability to walk away with the phone form noisy kids and for privacy to various areas of the house.

Most of the IP phones mentioned so far seem to be business phones. Just about all the phones sold at major Canadian electronics stores are business phones. What are some ideas on IP phones for the family?

What about something like the Unidata WPU-7800?

Currently I’m using the IPad with 3CX softphone and an Android (entry level) with integrated CSipsimple. The voice quality was much better on the IPad, but after enabling GSM codec on Voip.ms and in CSipsimple things have improved with the Android. I also have X-Lite softphone on the Laptop. All devices ring when we receive a call.

I’m happy with the softphone setup but I’m being told we need something that looks like real phone, like with buttons, for when grandma visits. The kids learned how to use the Ipad and don’t remember what a real phone looks like, but apparently, in an emergency the IPad might be hidden under the couch and be hard to find, and the smartphone might be in the purses with dead batteries.

#15 ·
I'm glad that I've come across this thread. I've been using an ATA up until now, but I'm considering a SIP-enabled wireless VOIP phone for the home.

#17 ·
DECT vs WiFi

I spent some time reading about DECT vs WiFi for residential IP phone options, here are some observations:

- Dedicated WiFi handsets are expensive. Cisco/Spectralink go for $400 to $600. Unidata/ZyXel go for under $200.
- DECT can be had for $100 to $200. Examples: Gigaset S675IP mentioned here already and Panasonic KX-TPA50
- On paper, WiFi is the future, and considering most residential users already have a WiFi network, it is surprisingly not as widely adopted.
- With DECT, you get better range, better quality, cheaper, but you are introducing a second RF band in your house – not that it matters to have a few additional electromagnetic frequencies going through our bodies - I hope it is harmless.

#20 ·
I just started using the Gigaset C610A phones. I love them. I have the base station plus 4 other phones. Switching from using an ata to these IP Phones have been the best thing. Everything has improved. My next IP Phone will be the Cisco corded 7960

#23 ·
I have been using the Korean Unidata WPU-7800 as the family room phone for a year with Voip.ms
The phone works great and I'm very happy to have it. Noticeable quality improvement and better wife acceptance factor over the Android WiFi smartphone and the iPad softphone. With Voip and WiFi the biggest issue is the WiFi signal strength and network quality to the ISP. I had to extend my home WiFi coverage with a repeater. I'm only getting 95ms ping to the Voip.ms server which is just acceptable. I had to spend some time configuring the network and worked with the ISP to attempt to reduce the ping time to the ISP.

#26 ·
i've done some more research & the Grandstream DP715/710 are off my list - missing too many features
i currently have a Calisto w/BT headset (6 yrs old & batteries are failing) on Primus (now on my ATA & voip.ms)
i have FreePBX/Asterisk running now and want to transition over & am stuck deciding between a VOIP desk phone, or a VOIP DECT phone w/extra phones
i like being able to use the BT headset, but don't want to spend a fortune on a desk phone with EHS
i have my own home business and need to talk & use the keyboard, so either BT or speaker phone

mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.