Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rebranded Mobile Phones?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  17671 
#1 ·
So I'm beginning to realize that companies are rebranding their phones for the Canadian market and/or for different carriers. For example, Deckster was nice enough to point out that the CDMA version of the HTC Touch is called the Vogue.

The LG Vantage (offered by SaskTel/Bell) looks exactly like the LG Glimmer I see on sites like CNet.com. Same?

I'm wondering what other phones are (essentially) the same but with different names?

#2 ·
Well, to follow up my own post, it seems the LG TU720 and the LG KE970 are nearly identical. Both are called the "Shine" although I mostly saw that term used on the TU720; on a bunch of sites the KE970 was often just refered to by that model number. They do have slightly different specs though (quad-band vs tri-band etc). Perhaps this has more to do with the carrier than with LG.

The LG KF600 and the LG VX-8800 (Venus) also seem to be the same phone with light differences in camera, memory, SD support etc.

This "same-phone-differrent-name" (and specs) makes it hard to compare between carriers, which I guess is the point. Not very consumer friendly.

#6 ·
Makes sense for manufacturers to label them uniquely so you know what the specifics are; rather having variations
Yes and No. I see all these great commercials and online reviews for phones like the LG Venus or the LG Glimmer, then when I look around in Canada (or at least Saskatchewan) they are nowhere to be found; because they're called the KF600 and the Vantage.

I assume the thinking is that since the feature set is slightly different (different carriers seem to request different features from the "same" phone) that branding it differently makes it better for consumers. Or maybe it just prevents comparasin shopping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.