How to use an european unlocked phone in Canada? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-30, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

How to use an european unlocked phone in Canada?

Some family member who presently lives in Italy will travel to Canada soon. He owns an unlocked quad-band GSM cell phone and is just looking for basic phone functionality.

Can he buy a prepaid Rogers SIM card and use it in his phone?

Can he buy a SIM card from any of the other providers like Petro-Canada or 7-11?

I know very little about cell phone and I hope what I just asked makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-30, 02:56 AM

I have the Nokia 1600 dual band GSM 850/1900 from 7-11. It operates on the Rogers network so you can activate a SIM card from Rogers and stick it in an unlocked phone which operates on those bands. With 7-11 you get the phone along with the SIM card and the phone number...they don't just sell SIM cards.

Hope this helps....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-12-30, 02:56 PM

A prepaid Rogers or Fido SIM will work just fine - plug and play.

7-Eleven and Petro-Canada do not sell SIMs, however, You buy a phone and get a free SIM. Of course, you can sell the phone if you don't need it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 10:26 AM
Rookie

I have a similar question but the situation is flipped around. I am in Canada and going on exchange to Sweden in about a week. If I buy an unlocked gsm quad-band phone, and a SIM card from rogers/fido here, I assume I can buy pre-paid cards in Sweden and it will work.

So my question is how do I get/find out what my local Swedish phone number is? I want to get the phone/sim card here since it will be a bit more expensive to buy one there, but I obviously don't want a Canadian number.

Thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 10:40 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, SA8300HD + 640GB external drive. Samsung LCD LN40A750 1080p 120Hz. Blu-Ray BD-P1500
You won't know your Swedish number until you buy a Swedish SIM card.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 12:05 PM
Rookie

Ok, so I should probably wait and get a phone there to ensure the SIM card works with the phone. I suppose I could buy an unlocked phone here and SIM card there but they may not work together. Thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-11, 11:51 PM

From what I've heard, prepaid SIM cards in most of the free world is cheaper than what we pay here in Canada. In Asia they are definitely way cheaper. I think Italy is one of the few exceptions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in